Former_Member
Not applicable

Do you offer discounts on your work?

There is an interesting conversation happening over at the Hello Craft blog in response to an article on crafters offering discounts:

http://www.hellocraft.com/2011/03/3-reasons-why-discounts-are-deadly-for-crafters/

We're interested to hear how others in the handmade community feel about this.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: Do you offer discounts on your work?

Well, i tried this once. I found out my " Biggest Fan" from statsy.org, a free tool. Then I sent convos to them offering them discounts and telling them it is only for my big fans . Big fan is the person who hearted u the most. I send to 5 people and 2 responded.
0 Likes

This is a great blog post -- I highly recommend it do those thinking about coupons.

I'm not a fan of using coupons to drum up new business with new customers, but I do give coupons to customers who've been really fun to work with or have touched me personally in some way. Those are people for whom I'm willing to make little sacrifices for -- and I tell them so.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think that unfortunately there is a lot of people out there that are completely underselling themselves and therefore are hurting their fellow crafters. We all need to get away from the notion that our time and work are worth next to nothing! If I did not have my hands full at this time, I would start a team: spinners unite or Crafter unite... that's my 2 cents for now
0 Likes

I offer coups to my bestest customers :) I think it really helps my customers feel special and important! I keep an email list through Aweber (love it) and I send out random coups as well as hold a monthly drawing for a free piece of my jewelry. The feedback I've gotten so far is wonderful... plus I've noticed a boost in my sales since I started it. Gotta love that ;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I started offering free shipping, but I calculate the shipping cost into the actual cost of the item so I don't loose any money it just looks like a good deal to customers.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I made up little coupons to send out with each order for 20% off of their next purchase, and I've had quite a few returning customers who've used them.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Great post! I just left a comment. Thanks for sharing!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i am totally torn on this.
on one hand, i don't want my items to be 'luxury' goods, in the sense that i don't want to exclude people just because they don't have a big pay check. i don't have a big pay check, and i still love and cherish the handmade goods i can afford. i don't want art and beauty to be a thing only accessible to those with lots of desposable cash!

on the other hand, of course i undertand the logic that 'a race to the bottom' benefits no one. and i respect the notion of solidarity amoung crafters to maintain a sustainable markets for ourselves. the fact is if we consistantly undersell ourselves, we cannot stay in business, and our craft won't be available to anyone!

i personally have tried to strike a balance with a product that can easily pay for itself - i can make a batch of about 35 candles in a day (and i'm getting faster), the wax and wick cost little per pair made, and typical eg. competitive, retail prices still give me a good return.

that said, i can't make anything if no one is buying! these are hard times, and when the truth of the matter is that you are selling a non-essential item, shouldn't you react by making your product more affordable? if people have significantly less desposable income, they won't buy pricey items. they might on the other hand consider a more affordable item. so if my choice is between making few if any sales at all, waiting around for the few customers able to afford my art, or making more sales by putting my prices within people's reach..... i might go for a the second option!

this is such a hard one.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I only offer discounts occasionally (like black friday) to my facebook fans. Also sometimes I want to discontinue certian items and/or clear out old stock (like a recently made the decision to stop carrying rings) In these cases I make a discontinued section
0 Likes

I don't offer discounts usually. Once in a great while, I will offer something to my Facebook or Twitter followers, more as a thank you than a sales pitch.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.