Former_Member
Not applicable

Disappointed and stressed

So I am new to this. I have had 3 sales since November. Today my third sale contacted me to let me know that there was a chip in the one plaque and that they were dirty and there is a spot that she can't remove on the other one. They are a sun face and moon face painted on slate rounds. The "chip" is on the edge and is part of the natural irregularity of the material. Dirty? Not sure what she means. I got them all cleaned and checked them for nicks and such before I chipped them. I even touched up a couple of spots to make sure they were perfect. I am disappointed that she didn't say anything positive along with this email. Like " they are adorable but I have a couple of things I need to ask about" I don't know if her abruptness is what is upsetting me or whether it's that my 3rd sale wasn't a success. Maybe both.

Anyway, she does not ask for a resolution of any kind. I don't know whether to ask her for pics of the flaws, offer a refund, or just do nothing. She has not left any feedback at all so far. Any thoughts?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Disappointed and stressed

Or maybe ask her to ship them back at my expense to repair them. Not sure what to do. And to think I was worried about them not arriving safely.
0 Likes

Ugh, that's a bummer, Lisa. Sorry to hear of this.

You might want to contact her giving her a few options...

1. You can return the item and I will refund your money less shipping cost
2. I can repair it for you

If you're confused as to the damage, I'd kindly ask for her to take pictures of the damage in question so you are certain you are looking at the problem area. Nothing worse than to receive an item back from the customer to say to yourself "um, I don't see anything".

Just let her know that her happiness is key and you would like for her to be happy and confident in this purchase. It would've been nice if she mentioned how much she liked it regardless...but not everyone thinks that way! :)
0 Likes

I think the problem was that she wasn't sure enough about what she was getting. I can see on the edges of those plaques that they are supposed to have a worn feel, but maybe someone else was not looking that closely. I personally think they are adorable and I like that kind uf worn look but if she wasn't expecting it, I could see her being dissapointed. In the future, make sure you take more clear pictures enphasizing the details of the items so the customer is very clear on what they are getting. For now I would explain the nature of the item to her so she knows that is the look and you weren't intentionally sending out chipped items and give her those same options that Samantha mentioned. Don't get too down, I think they are adorable :)
0 Likes
KriyaDesign
Inspiration Seeker

On my other selling channel I got quite a few of those messages; chipped stone, color different, broken zipper ( not sure how I could missed something so essential to a bag)... etc. Normally, I give her two options.

1. Return back the item for a full refund
2. 20% to 25% off, partial refund so she could get the item fix herself

I rarely do this, but sometimes
3. Refund all her money and she keeps the item. And hope overall sales cover the loss

I am so sorry you experience this "not happy with item" I know how you feel. In the beginning of my online venture years back, I couldn't sleep when I got that messages. With time I learn that everyone's has her own standard. Nowadays when I receive that kind of messages, I just give my all to make it a happier and peaceful ending for both parties. Whatever feedback she may or may not give later is beyond my control.

The part that she doesn't say anything nice at all... this is my story. I am not too proud of it but here it goes... Just last week I ordered peach cabochon at the last minute to restock for my existing design. I got different color and was sooo frustrated. A day before I received the same flower from another seller, also wrong color. I guess I had enough. But the second seller get to hear.. my nags. Gosh! 4 days later I received replacement. I was quite stunned that she acted fast to send another ones. Now I feel so silly!

Maybe the buyer felt so frustrated at the time she wrote you the message. But by now I bet she feels a lot better and willing to work with you over the issue.

All the very best
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Great advice! Definitely ask for pics, return item for full refund or keep it and get a partial refund. I had to do this recently w/ a bracelet I sold. It worked out well and the customer was happy with the refund.

I agree with kriyadesign that the buyer probably sent you the message while frustrated.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You say she doesn't ask for a resolution... Do you think she wants to return them? If she is vague, maybe she just needs some communication with you. You can explain the nature of your product (so that she is fully aware of what is "normal" in case she says she wants to send them back for you to repair - this way she will not be expecting something that you cannot do).

Lisa, try not to be upset. Put on your best customer service smile and hopefully, what she wants becomes very minor.

Communication will have a good chance of building a repoire and clearly understanding what she wants and what you can offer.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The only thing I can add would be to look at your descriptions again and make sure that you describe your items with as much detail as possible so that this doesn't happen again. When I got positive feedback, I noticed that many customers said that the item was exactly as described so I've noticed that it's important thing to strive for. Sometimes people don't notice the fine details in the photo.

You can try to make it right and take it as a learning experience. People who start their own business unintentionally make mistakes along the way. All we can do is learn from them and do better next time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just chalk it up to experience. Unfortunately this will not be the last time you will deal with something like this. I have been in business for years and still get a customer that just isn't satisfied.

First, Chin up smile and don't take it personally. There is always someone else that will love your item. Evaluate the way you are doing business to see if any improvement would have helped....if so implement it...If not move on....

Second, have faith in your product. You sound unsure if your product is good enough....IT IS! Remember you put a piece of yourself in it....

And Three, treat this like a business. Put on your best customer service smile in your email. Let her know you are sorry for her disappointment. (don't grovel} Give her options as talked about above, don't be shy about it and do it quickly....nothing is worst than a "stewing" customer. Remember, never wait to see what they want.....if you do it will become a fight.

Yes I am blunt and to the point....You've go some great advise from everyone.
I wish all the best and don't beat yourself up over it.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I noticed you said you might ask her to ship them back for repair. But aren't the plaques suppose to look the way they do? Perhaps it would be better to explain that what she see as damages or problems in the piece are the nature of the product. Go in to detail about why they look they way they do and then tell her this is not the way she wants them to look then would she like a refund? Of course, she has to send them back before you can issue a refund.

I sent a piece of jewelry out to someone early in my career and the person did not think the style worked for her, so she sent it back and I gave her a refund.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Maybe put in all your listings that some items are supposed to look that way, and it's not damage. One shop I really like had negative commentary from one person (not me, LOL) out of over 2,000 sales, and the seller was really bummed out, there was nothing wrong the product, but the buyer was expecting more color, and left crummy feedback for what she thought were dull colors :( Even though the seller puts in her listings that the photo colors are not always the same as reality colors, I guess buyers need to have ALL-CAPITALS in the first sentence of descriptions about how the products will look and how they are supposed to look.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would take the path of least resistance and let her know you received her reply, that you were sorry she had concerns, and that you would be happy to work with her to resolve the issue. I would explain to her that the chip was a natural part of the work itself, and that if she is dissatisfied for any reason, refer to your store policies for resolution. If the chip is part of the design, I wouldn't offer a repair/refund. If she wants it "fixed," I would have her pay for shipping etc. and offer to "repair" the item. If she wants a refund, then it's up to you and your store policies to determine that outcome. Bottom line, if it's not your fault and she wants the item but "fixed," she pays for it. If she wants a refund, then refer to your refund policy, and smile...the customer's always right, right??? Eh....I feel your pain.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

And I agree with Kathleen; pics don't always do our items justice; I am going to post a color disclaimer in my store!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would tell her I'm very sorry to hear that she is disappointed. I would tell her it is my aim for my customer to be happy with my products. I would ask what I can do to make her happy. Perhaps she was just having a bad day and now that she's calmed down she knows she overreacted. Rather than OFFER to do something right off the bat, I would ask her TO TELL ME how I can correct this.
0 Likes

I agree with others. Offer to work with her, and resolve the "problem". Keep the communication open, but don't stress yourself out over it. There will always be people out there that will complain, and look for anything they can in order to complain. If the product was supposed to look that way, it is not your fault the customer was expecting something else. In the future put a note on your listing that the product is supposed to have a worn out feel, just to protect yourself. I know how you feel because I tend to stress a lot myself, but it is not worth it. Keep your head up, your shop is adorable, and you will have many more customers that will be happy :)
0 Likes

I'm agree with Harriet. Sorry but people sometimes shows ignorance, how slates are supposed to be? Obvious are not "perfect" but your photos are perfectly clear as well as your description so if she can not appreciate them ask her to send them back and tell her you will refund the price less shipping if arrive in good condition.
Sorry for your desappoinmet
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

First of all, let me say THANK YOU GUYS! You all have been incredibly encouraging and supportive. Plus some really great advise. I will offer her a refund or she can send it back at her cost and I will repair the one. The one with the chip is what it is. Then I will pay to ship the repaired one back if she wishes.

This has been a good learning experience. I have recently done some tee shirt prints with blocks made from recycled styrofoam . I will now be sure to make it clear that imperfections are a natural occurrence given the nature of the material.

I didn't respond to this persons email for the same reason you mentioned. I didn't want to be defensive. But I will write her back and hope for the best.

Thank you guys so much. I really appreciate your help.

Lisa
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I haven't read all the comments, but if you tell her to ship them back to you for repair, she may not take the care to insure they return to in one piece. She *could* just place them in a box and ship it back and you'll get it in many tiny pieces. I would just ask her what she feels is a fair resolution, and work from there. She may not want anything expect for you to know they weren't up to her expectations.
BTW...I think they are adorable!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.