Did you set (and reach) your holiday goal last year?

Hi Success Team!

I write for Etsy's Seller Handbook, and I'm working on a piece about setting goals for the holidays. Did you set a goal for the holidays last year, and reach it? I'd love to connect with you!

Remember, goals can take many forms, such as making a first sale, listing a certain number of items, receiving great customer feedback.

Please share your goals (and how you reached them) below. Your experience could help your peers as the holiday season approaches.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies

Re: Did you set (and reach) your holiday goal last year?

I didn't have a specific sales goal in mind last Christmas - I just knew I wanted to do better.

I ran Promoted Listings for two weeks (yes, it got me a sale - a nice one!). I strategically renewed items (I watched to see what was in the Finds - turquoise did very well for me). I continued to add new items to the shop when I could. I participated in off-Etsy gift guides.

I ended up with 11 sales - my best Christmas here ever - with some really nice sales totals at the end of the month. I was truly and sincerely excited about last Christmas, and I am doing some serious ramping up already for this coming season.
0 Likes

My goal was to be less stressed during the holiday rush. I figured out what had caused me stress the previous year and took steps to lessen it:

*Running out of supplies
I hate having to make people wait longer than necessary for their orders, especially during the holidays. I stocked up early on supplies, including materials to make my most popular items and shipping supplies.

*Not having a designated spot for shipping
Instead of having supplies stashed in random spots and trying to pack orders on the kitchen table, I now have a converted closet with all shipping supplies where I can pack up all of my orders.

*Making made-to-order items at the last minute
I temporarily deactivated my made-to-order items and only showed ready-to-ship items the week before Christmas.

Looking forward to your article!
0 Likes

I just opened my shop this summer, so I would love info on setting holiday goals. I am currently creating more items for Christmas now!
0 Likes

Hi Audrey! My goal last year was growth- both of my product lines and of my revenue. Here are a few things I did to reach those goals.

*Think about strategizing your product lines. What would your ideal customer buy for the holidays for their loved ones? What would they love to receive? Try to match that vision while still making sure your products are seasonal. My ideal customer loves fancy holiday parties and needs to look chic, fabulous and haute-couture, and would need a look that is warm, yet pulled together. To suit that, I really developed lines geared towards glitzy party accessories and using fabrics like vegan fur that have softer, richer textures to suit the season.

*Starting early: you don't want to end up running out of your bestselling stocking stuffer or stuck looking for packaging material in the middle of the holiday rush! Try to find your bestselling holiday creation and make more of it in the summer and fall months to have as much of it in stock as possible. Preemptively buy more packaging before November and December so that you'll be ready.
0 Likes

Hi Audrey,

I must say I am encouraged to get going for the Holidays. I needed a little motivation to make my Etsy shop more of a business than a hobby. Recent events allow me the time to get this done now. Thanks for all your info Liana and Michelle. And I also look forward to your article Audrey.
0 Likes

As we prepare for Labor Day that is our trigger to plan our goals for the Holiday season. This is the list we share with our local Etsy team members

Will this holiday season be shorter like the last two years? look it up
Looking back at last years stats, what worked, what didn't?
Will you make sales goals, or just see what happens?
Will you offer sale promotions, how, when?
What social media strategies will you use (something new, or the same old)?
When will you need to have all your supplies ordered (craft and packaging)?
Will you need extra help? (Look now for possible friends/family)
When will the sales spike come (late Nov or another week)?
What about Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Small Business Saturday?
Will you offer gift wrap (free or extra charge)?
Will you offer expedited shipping (USPS, Fed Ex, UPS)?
What will your cut off days be for holiday delivery (USA and International)?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

No I didn't meet my goal last year or the past few years, but I did this year!

I'd opened this shop in June 2011 with hopes to sell jewelry that year. I only just got the opportunity to stock this shop in July of this year.

My advice, from my three shops over the years here on Etsy, would be:

- Getting as much listed as possible is really important, and continue to list through the holidays (people do buy Christmas day! and the day after, all hours of the day, etc). People can't buy it - if it isn't listed.

Like Stef and Mark mentioned,
- If you can, think about using and offering the upgraded postage options. People do use them!

In the USA you can order postage supplies, and print labels through Etsy or Paypal - with a small discount.

Express and Priority padded envelopes are great!
The upgrade shipping supplies ship free to your home, they have built in insurance and tracking, and with text message and email updates available.

https://store.usps.com/store/

Just be sure to know the usage rules to avoid any overdue fees. As well as know the cut of dates for timely delivery - be honest with your buyer and never promise an impossible delivery time. You may lose a sale but you can also avoid buyer disappointment.

And if you don't use all the supplies you order, just return some to a post office for others to use. Recently, I was only able to ship an express package thanks to someone bringing supplies to my local post office. :)

- Also, it's a simple thing but answer conversations/contacts from buyers as soon as possible, even if it's just to say you will need to contact them with information later in the day, etc. Be polite even if the information is in your shop already. Some buyers just like to know you are there for them during the ordering process.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

@Georgia and @Becky

Etsy might do holiday boot camp again this year, I don't know maybe Audrey can answer?

here is some information on last years:
https://blog.etsy.com/en/2014/register-now-for-holiday-boot-camp-2014/

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Really excited to see the article!

I didn't have specific sales goals last year, but when I crunched the numbers, I did almost double the sales on Etsy between November and December than what I did in the previous quarter.

I've since found ways to increase my sales and revenue during the rest of the year and so my goal this holiday season is to increase my sales on Etsy by 50% from last year. To meet that goal I plan to run similar sales during Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Small Business Saturday and I'll also make sure to have more items and variety in my shop. I also plan to launch a small set of stocking stuffer type items (and market them as such) that are less expensive than my regular product line. I may also invest in Promoted Ads here on Etsy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I didn´t have any specific goals for the last christmas season other than doing better than the year before.
I was very happy that i sold more of my beaded ornaments than the years before. I participated in a pop up store event my local team organised and even though i did not overly well i made more money than the event cost so i´d say it was a success. i probably could have done better if i had prepared more items. well that was a lesson learned for this years event.
all in all i did not meet the big goal of doing better but there were a few minor successes that motivated to keep pushing in certain directions.
0 Likes

These are great all! Keep em coming!
0 Likes

I set a goal to increase my business by 30% over the previous year's September-December. I was worried it was overly ambitious, but I did it!

For me there were three key changes in my shop that really made the difference:

1. I revised all my tags and keywords. In September and October I probably put in 10 hours a week into revising all my titles and tags, paying close attention to what keywords were really working for me in my stats and what tags and titles other sellers with similar items were using on the first few pages of a search. It made a huge difference in the amount of views I received.

2. Promoted listings. I started promoting listings in October and increased my bids during October-December. In general for every dollar I've spent on promoted listings I've gotten 10 in return. For me, Promoted listings have really paid off.

3. Between September and December I nearly doubled the amount of inventory in my store. It took a lot of extra work, but having all those choices kept my customers coming throughout and after the holidays. I found the increase in sales was pretty commensurate with the increase in inventory.

I'm hoping to repeat this growth in 2015 and am already working hard to make it happen!
0 Likes
kalicat
Crafty Poster

I added more inventory and got more sales as a results .
0 Likes

i didn't have a goal but i did pretty good over the holidays
0 Likes

My goal was to double my sales in the September December quarter from the previous year and I did it and then some, figured I should try to push as hard as I could and see how far I got. I did it by focusing in on my target audience and marketed to them as much as I could. I also I made sure I maximised my time and reach on social media (IG and FB).
0 Likes

I did not reach my goal last year but this year since I'm improving my product descriptions and pictures - I have noticed an increase in views and sales. This year I set a goal and made a list of products to reach that goal. Hopefully I'll get close to it this year!

Blessings to Everyone!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.