Custom orders - Pay before or after?

I've read some mixed things on getting custom orders, whether the customer should be paying before you make the item, or whether you should make sure they are happy with the item before they pay, so not to risk them leaving a review along the lines of "It wasn't as good as I thought it would be and they made me pay before"

Personally I have been let down a few times, one person said they wanted the item and didn't buy it, I asked them if they still wanted me to keep it aside for them and they said "Yes please! I'll pay tomorrow on payday" - still nothing that payday, reminded them the next ,month on payday "I want it I'll pay tonight" (And didn't). I then had two people not reply at all when I showed them the item asking if they wanted me to make any changes before it was finalised and listed. Of course these times cost materials, and a lot of time wasted. I'm finding it tricky, as a shopper I'm not sure I would want to pay before seeing exactly what I'm getting.

What is your routine when you get a custom order?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Custom orders - Pay before or after?

I expect payment first. I sold one custom order so far and she ordered it with the sizing she wanted. I would never put my time into something that someone hadn't paid for. I made sure I communicated exactly what she was getting before I started and then proceeded to make it once she and I had agreed on all points.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

BTW! Love your little xbox controller!
0 Likes
RomaMiaTradingCo
Inspiration Seeker

I expect payment in full before hand. I got burnt on two orders before where they said they would pay upon receiving (these were acquaintances). The one person I had to make sweaters for her dog TWICE because the first time they didn't fit. I didn't get payment from her. The second person just never responded to my messages. Than I had a two other people who were the slowest pay (like months). I than resorted to telling them, "I will make your listings public and sell them to other people if you don't pay by xx date." They paid within the day.

I'm not in the business of chasing people down for payments. Its not worth my efforts when they can pay upfront.

I know some owners have people put in a deposit of a certain amount on custom orders.
1 Like

I have found people don't mind paying ahead, and they also don't mind waiting either. 90% of my sales are made to order items that they need to pay ahead and also wait up to 2 weeks.
1 Like

Thank you Elizabeth that means a lot :3

And thank you everyone for your advice, I know that I'm not being unreasonable now should I ask for payment upfront x
1 Like

I got burned once here on Etsy, doing a custom dog portrait, and had hours into it. I used to always trust people before that happened. The buyer "disappeared" on me. Since then, I won't touch anything without payment before hand.

Good News: the buyer who didn't pay, finally did pay for it, months after it was done.
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Custom order buyers pay 100% of item's cost if under $50. 50% up front for items over $50 and then the balance when I am ready to deliver. I find that most of my custom order buyers choose to pay it upfront all at once.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Can I ask, how do you make this 50% and 50% payment - do put some listing in Esty for this person or how.
Thanks for your answers!
0 Likes
PixiesForest
Inspiration Seeker

Hi!
I ask 100% prepayment before I start to make custom orders or change some details of existing items. I always send photos of custom made items to my customers, so they have a chance to see it and to express criticism. And I have a chance to change some details, length or anything necessary.
0 Likes

I always have them pay for a custom listing before starting it too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I too get the full payment up front and then I send a great photo of the finished item before I ship it just in case any adjustments need to be made. I get request to custom designs all the time and I don't change my items without payment. My time and materials cost! This works well for my shop!
0 Likes

For custom orders I always ask for 100% payment upfront.
Some shops ask for a 50% payment upfront, but I suppose that you should do what you feel better with.
I would consider a 50% payment for a custom order if it was a really high amount of money, maybe more than 500USD or something like that.

I have had several "buyers" that sent me a billion convos telling me the details that they wanted in certain items and asking me a lot of questions and saying that they were going to buy...and as soon as I send the link of the listing (so they can make the payment) they dissapear.

So better safe than sorry.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I always follow this system and have never had a problem:

1. Clear up all details on order
2. Collect 50% of payment upfront
3. Make item
4. Send images for final approval
5. Collect remaining 50% + shipping charges
6. Ship

Hope that helps :)
1 Like

I don't ask for money upfront. I prefer to make the item and take a photo for the buyer to decide. I try to eliminate future problems.
If they don't buy I make a new listing which helps my shop appearance.
0 Likes
CurrysLeather
Inspiration Seeker

When I get a custom request, I ask them a few simple questions about what they want. I spend 5 minutes making a black and white paper proof (sketch - type the font sample etc.) . Send it to them. If they like the direction it's going in or want major changes, I say that is great, please check out (payment in full). Once they have checked out, I keep working on the black and white version until they are happy with it - send me an etsy message with "I approve" Only then do I proceed with ordering plates, cutting material etc. I have pictures in the listing of the black and white proof, the plate and the finished product so I have clear step by step instructions.
0 Likes

The difference between window shopping and a customer is that the customer pays for their purchase. If you haven't paid, you are not a customer.
ALL orders must be paid in full before I begin work. Etsy makes it really easy to set up a private listing from a initial email request, this a great option for these particular requests.
0 Likes

I have always had the buyer pay for the listing first.

I've had way too many people ask if I can do something, I answer yes and then I never hear from them again. People change their minds.
0 Likes

I'm like Georgia, I like to make and photograph first. If the person changes their mind, that's okay, because I only make what I know I can sell to someone else, so it doesn't matter to me who buys it and I always need more stock.
Unless of course they want their name embroidered on it :) That is full payment up front.
0 Likes

Every order is paid for before it's made. Granted my items are very personalized. And no refunds. But if you are uncomfortable asking for full payment upfront, I think that Tonka Zorluer (in a previous comment) has a great system. You could create private listings for them.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.