Critique and Advice

Please be gentle :) Just getting up the nerve to ask for a critique...New shop, work in progress. I am adding new items every few days, but most of my orders so far have actually been customized bows, every bride has her own vision. Not sure how to go about setting up that aspect of my shop.
Any advice will be taken seriously...your time is valuable. Thanks in advance!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Critique and Advice

You have a really cute shop! my advice is change your background of your pictures because people really want to focus on the product. White is usually the best choice, like my photos. But every things else looks great! Only time wil tell when you will be making sales!

xoxo
-Jemima
0 Likes

Thanks so much, Jemima. I will definitely look into it.
0 Likes

I love the burlap. reminds me of a country vintage wedding. perhaps if you no of a barn where you could take some pictures at..i think that your designs would look really good in that type of setting.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Your shop is great! I agree with Jemima about the white background but instead of just photographing on a plain white background you might be able to still photograph them in context (like on the chair for your chair/pew bows) so that the customer is focusing on your item and it's function at the same time. For instance, hang a solid white sheet up behind your chair and use that as your prop.

On items where you have multiple colors available have a photo that includes them. You can take multiple single pictures of the colors and then put them into a new project and save it as a new image so it'll only take up one of your photo slots. Overall, I like how vibrant the colors of your products are and your descriptions are great. Keep up the good work!

- Amanda
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree with Amanda... show your items in context in at least one of your pictures. Describe what they are meant for in the descriptions... are they wall decorations? Pew bows? Gift bows?

I love those starfish chair hangers, and would suggest displaying them one at a time fully visible in the thumbnail; great idea with the context photo displaying them at the beach! Try to do that with your other photos as well.

Noooo to one word tags or one word keyword phrases in your title... you will not get found that way. Try to describe the item as a buyer would search for it... not always easy to do but definitely worth the effort in views and eventually sales!

0 Likes

Such good advice...I am gonna be busy this week. Thank you guys very much!
0 Likes

MerryW,

Quick question...Should I shorten the titles, I thought only the first phrase was the one that counted in searches. I just added the rest for customers once they got to the page. I will say titles have been the most trying to figure out.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Candace... make your titles as long as possible, mixing all of the keyword phrases that apply to your item through out. Try not to reuse words more than a couple of times. The first phrase is important but not as important as we used to think; it is far more important to ensure that your whole title has searchable keyword phrases in it, and that your tags exactly match those phrases whenever possible.
0 Likes

I think I am getting it...Going to go through and get the titles changed up. Thank you so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated! Have a wonderful week!
0 Likes

I love this weathered board for a backdrop - but if you wanted to go w/the white background that everybody wants, you could get some of this weathered board and whitewash it - I think that would be really pretty. ;~D Love your stuff! ;~D

http://www.etsy.com/listing/111140822/sunflower-pew-hangers-country-pew-bows?
0 Likes

Sherri, thanks so much for the advice....Just a note...I love your shop and your bio, and I did read to the end. :) more impressed that you found the time to pass on advice to a new shop owner such as myself. Thanks again!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love your shop. Gorgeous and detailed.

I would concentrate on your photos - the backgrounds. They are busy, so we can't see the products in detail.

Maybe try playing with your camera settings - take your aperture (F Stop) down a bit, and space the distance between your camera, item and background, you may be able to achieve more of a blurred background. Its something I am having trouble with at the moment, especially since its too cold for me to shoot outside!

I hope this helps and best wishes,
Tammy

0 Likes

Thanks Tammy...unfortunately still using a point and shoot camera, boo. A couple more sales and that will be next on my to purchase list. The blurred background is really what I am wanting. Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate the help!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.