Babiease
Inspiration Seeker

Competition

We all know the stakes are high on etsy! If you sell jewelry, art, baby items, etc. you have competition! How do you and your shop compete with the others? Looking forward to hearing how you keep up and don't give up!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
14 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Competition

This is one of many many selling sites. Competition is is just a click away for all of us.

So, I choose to compete against myself. After all, I am my worst critic and my best friend when it comes to this shop.
1 Like

I agree with Ewe, there are so many terrific candle shops here and on the web as a whole, that I would just get overwhelmed trying to compete directly with them. I simply try to make the best candles that I can...
And I love challenging myself, trying to make new products or trying different techniques.
0 Likes
Babiease
Inspiration Seeker

I guess I find keeping up hard! (I relist, add new items, fixed my tags, etc.) I have another small business and it's easier to keep up and going than Etsy. I've put alot more effort into my shop these days but I wonder if I can keep up because the competition is so large. I want to keep going! Any advice? Shop critique? I
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I keep costs at a minimum and research prices. I make sure my shipping is reasonable but equal or lower than competitors. My prices for my products are lower than competitors... probably because I shop locally for my wholesale supplies. So I don't have to pay shipping for them. I take good pictures and offer unique services or products. Now, I just gotta get my shop out there!

My day job is in marketing research, so I'm a little obsessed with that part of it!
0 Likes

A bunch of us had a long chat about that earlier today! Here's a link to the thread, if you are curious:
http://www.etsy.com/teams/5002/etsy-success/discuss/10760225/
0 Likes

I try and give a bigger variety of stuff I know my bows have nothing on the other shops that make bows but I try and make different styles and I use fabric and I also sale jewelry so I guess it just depends on what type of bow or jewelry someone wants.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I sell baby/kids items, and I saw a huge upswing in sales and views when I introduced my jersey knit headbands. They are different than most things you see, and more comfy. But it really helped to have great photography, that has brought a lot of people in for sure.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I don't really compete. There's a couple of sellers who do stuff using the same materials, but our work is so diverse that there's no possible way we can be lumped in together. I do constantly work at creating, I use computers, hand work, and I am constantly having to think up new ideas though, not to compete, but to stay fresh.
0 Likes
Davs
Post Crafter

I feel like I have something unique to offer, I don't really feel like I'm competing with anyone. Trying to figure out/keep up with how to optimize my shop for better views/search results on the other hand, there I feel the competition.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I really don't have time to pay attention to the competition. My prices are based on material costs and labor + demand. I don't know my competition's prices and I don't try to price my stuff lower than any of them. Occasionally, I come across some of my competitor's work, and some of it I really admire and find beautiful.

I do believe in the concept that there is enough for everyone to prosper. So, I focus all of my attention inwardly towards my own shop and developing my own vision for my brand. It's worked so far!
1 Like

Perhaps it's bad of me when it comes to trying to run a business (but at the same time, I don't see this as a business, it's a hobby for me), but I don't try to compete with others. I make what I want to make, when I want to make it, and I price it accordingly. I don't search around to see what others are doing. There is a minimum, and maximum amount that I'll be happy to accept for each piece, and I will not accept more or less. I don't charge these prices, however, go for middle-ish. If the price I first set is no good, I'll go up or down. Whichever works, I stick with.

Maybe I should be checking out my competators, but at the same time, I don't know where they are, and I'd rather not find out. I'm happy selling what I sell for the prices I sell them. If someone doesn't wish to pay that much for it, then they won't. I won't slice my prices to make others happy and then find myself out of pocket or feeling like my work isn't worth anything anymore. I have my own morals and I stick to them.

That said, it also means that I'm not likely to copy people (knowingly - lots of people end up making similar things, but there's a difference between copying and making something similar because of a similar train of thought) and it keeps me feeling positive. Perhaps because I isolate myself from people selling similar things, but if that's what it takes to keep me from feeling bogged down by other people's success, then that's what it takes. Like I said, this is my hobby, not my business. I have absolutely no intention to do this for the rest of my life, it's just a way to bring in some money while I'm unable to get a job as I care for my disabled mother.

But it is interesting reading other people's responses. Some seem to compete frequently, while others do their own thing. At the end of the day, I think it comes down to how seriously you take your shop (not your products, but the shop itself - I work hard on my products, but not so much on my shop, which is why I don't research or compete).
0 Likes

I am going to continue to do my own thing because so far that has been working for me. One of my "competitors" feedback has taken a dive lately but it doesn't see to deter people from buying.

Today a new competitor showed up in search and trying to figure out how on earth her prices can be so low but I am not going to lose sleep over it. I do have other selling venues and do well with those.

Bottom line will continue to do what works for me and sorta keep an eye on competition but not lose sleep over it.

0 Likes

i just make what i would want to wear and love .... works so far =)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Making sure my items are made with love,+ qualtiy and to the best of my abitlity, topped with great customer service.
That recipe works well for me. :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.