Christmas Deadlines & Order Cancellations :(

I've displayed my Christmas order deadlines everywhere I can but it seems people still aren't seeing them. I've lost lots of sales this week because my US deadline was last Friday (Europe & Canada is Friday 9th and UK Friday the 16th), and they've left messages with their orders saying "if it won't be here in time let me know" or "cancel the order" - it's frustrating because I'm doing awfully this year and I can't afford to lose ANY sales, and it's heart breaking to have to cancel the orders like this.

Any suggestions? Or is it just one of those things I've managed to avoid every year up until now?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Replies

Re: Christmas Deadlines & Order Cancellations :(

If customers want packages by certain date, they should consider a faster and more expensive service with online tracking. Even if the package gets delayed, they will know where it is and call the post office for more information. It is difficult to guarantee anything at this time of the year.
0 Likes
HildaLea
Crafty Poster

If you're displaying the deadlines on your announcement and other places when possible, it seems like you really cant do much more. People just aren't reading.
0 Likes

I just had a look at your shop announcement. I think you should trim it down. It's too long. You have to put the most important information upfront. Now customers have to read the whole thing to get to the point. Also, I wouldn't say 'I'm not responsible if packages don't arrive on time.' I would say it differently. Let buyers know there is the option of tracked delivery service.
0 Likes
nad205
Inspiration Seeker

I find this woeks for me; When I see an order and I know it will not arrive on time Then I write to the customer informing them my dought about receiving it on time for any any occasion then I give them two option1
1. Upgrade shipping and the sum it cost and the time it will take to arrive to them,
2, A refund
3. keep the order as it is but tell them clearly that it might not arrive on time.
Often customers opt for upgrading shipping by paying through custom order the balance payment for expedited shipping .
Hope this helps.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

Happy Christmas and New Year!

Era
0 Likes

We don't sell hand made, but we have the same problem this time of the year. I really struggle with responding to international customers who are buying. This is what I tell them:

"We cannot guarantee delivery times on international packages due to Customs and Custom inspections. You might consider quicker shipping by checking "Express Shipping".

On US packages we tell them that because of the holiday season, we cannot guarantee arrival at a specific time, but that they can choose priority or priority express if they want to guarantee over night shipping (except on week-ends). We have been able to send out many over night packages that have arrived on time. We also, in the past year, had one over night package (placed on Friday night) end up not arriving until Monday. There is a part of shipping that is out of our control.

If it is a matter of getting a handmade item to them on time, I think that is up to the shop owner to make sure that either A) it gets done even if I don't have sleep, or B) I let them know ahead of time that I can't get the order filled in time.

Just a take from a different perspective, which is primarily inline with what the rest of you are stating!

Merry Christmas!

Gayla
0 Likes

Hi Kim,
Sorry to hear it hasn't been a good year.
When these deadlines approach or pass, I put it at the very top of my item with asterisks oe exclamations. I also put it at the top of my shop announcement, as someone else suggested. And then I still get questions. People admit that they didn't read it, and I think with the App that is a particular problem. They don't know that they need to click on Item Details. Not much you can do beyond that, then contscting them like you are doing.
Best wishes in 2017,
Cindy
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Bee from HildaLea says
If you're displaying the deadlines on your announcement and other places when possible, it seems like you really cant do much more. People just aren't reading.

THIS. It has to be in ****BIG BOLD LETTERS**** on your shop's site, in the description and even in the note to your buyers and they still will miss it somehow.

lol, not much you can do other than just don't count sale an actual sale until the customer confirms they are fine with the delay (some purchases this late might not be for Xmas anyway).

Good luck and happy holidays!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.