MyGigiDoll
Inspiration Seeker

Best way to give past customers a discount?

I just re-opened my shop and I want to give past customers a discount. I thought I would create a limited time coupon code.

Any suggestions on how I should go about contacting past customers? My thought is I'll just go through all of my sales and contact people. I think it would be a little less than 100 people.

Is there an easier way? Also, is that too invasive to send a convo to each customer who has purchased in the past?

Thanks for the input!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies

Re: Best way to give past customers a discount?

Contacting past customers is considered spam and you do NOT want to do that.
You can only contact past customers if they gave you permission to do so.
You could ask them during the handling of their order if they want to be on your mailing list. If they agree, THEN you can inform them about future discounts, coupon codes, etc.
0 Likes

Use Etsy's tools! There is an option to send a discount code to your buyers for future purchases. I also make sure I print the code on the receipt. If you include a business card - put a code on it!
1 Like

I don't think there is an easy way to do this, only manually sending a convo to each past supplier. You can save your letter as a template so you don't have to write/copy+paste each note!

Nice idea though, who doesn't love a discount code!!
0 Likes

Again, referring to Jacinta's post, you can NOT contact past customers without their consent.
You got their e-mail address for just one reason: to handle their purchase. Afterwards you cannot use it to contact them, unless they specifically gave you permission to do so.
Everybody loves a coupon code, but not if it is delivered as spam.
0 Likes

Even if it was allowed to contact buyers long after the transaction, it might not look very good, especially at this time of the year: 'Xmas is coming up, why don't you purchase from my shop?' And because someone purchased months ago, it doesn't mean they will be coming back to us, even if they loved our work. It's best to leave it and offer a coupon to future buyers for their next purchase, if you wish.
0 Likes
HoneyThistle
Inspiration Seeker

Yes I agree with BeaG & Minerva. I purchased a component on etsy from this seller once, and weeks after our transaction was completed, she started sending me unsolicited promotional coupons! I quickly unsubscribed from her list, and because it left a bad taste in my mouth, I never gave her shop a second thought.

I would stick to giving coupon codes to any future customers and offer them a way to opt into a mailing list.
0 Likes

Ps I was referring to sending a convo, not using email addresses.
0 Likes

Same thing, Jacinta.
Also considered spam.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hei there
I am Vannguyen.I am so happy to join with member of this team.I just started my business on Etsy last month but it's difficult to sale online.I received a first order yesterday but I don't know how I could check out get payment from my customs.I registered a PayPal account but I checked in there.It is empty
I shipped package for customs but I worry if I didn't payment in my account.
Please help me anything for my problem if you know.
0 Likes

You want to open your own forum thread, Van.
Posting in someone elses, non related, thread won't get you responses.
0 Likes

Hi everyone, I want to offer discounts for large volume orders, such as 10% off when purchasing $10.00, 15% off when purchasing $15.00, 20% off when purchasing $20.00 etc. How can I let buyers know about this when they are shopping in my store? Not completely sure how coupons work and either I am not reading it correctly or the answer is not within the help guidelines, thanks so very much for your help, Kali
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have started including a coupon code with the email that goes out when their items have shipped. I only recently started doing this and wish I'd done it all along because I agree with what some people have said that you don't want to contact old customers unless they gave you explicit permission.
0 Likes

I had coupon cards made up by Vistaprint that say "thanks for being such a great customer" with a free shipping code. Much more success with this than % off for some reason.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.