Former_Member
Not applicable

18 0f my last 20 orders.............

have been paid with Etsy's shop payment not Paypal. I know several people have been reluctant to use this feature but I believe it is helping my sales. Yes, it is inconvienent not to have the money to pay for postage through paypal but I've just left the money in there from those that have paid via paypal and that has covered the shipping on the other orders. Yes, I have to fill out the shipping label manually on paypal but that isnt really that big of deal either.
Just wanted to share my experience and see what others are thinking of it now.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
71 Replies

Re: 18 0f my last 20 orders.............

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

that's good to know! I turned it on a few weeks ago then got frusterated with the shipping. i didn't realize you could still buy the shipping labels through paypal even if the person didn't pay through paypal. i think i'll turn it back on and see how it goes. :)
0 Likes

Most of my sales have been through DC since I activated it too. I think that it's particularly attractive to people who are new to Etsy - almost all of the cake toppers I've sold to people who found them through another site (they've been on a number of blogs recently) have checked out with DC. It's a bit of a pain, but it's definitely worth it if it makes people more likely to buy.
0 Likes

Ana ana bo-bana,
Banana-fana fo-fana
Please no more SPAM-A
Ana!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

@seemomster bahahaha!

I just activated DC. I hope it helps my sales too! I noticed that I have a bunch more sales in my other shop because of DC. I don't really like it either (lol) but I guess money is money--delayed or not.
0 Likes

I've been putting off activating it...but perhaps I should....

sigh.
0 Likes

(The money delay isn't the thing for me...I'm using my day job to fund my etsy shop. It's...FEAR, mostly!)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've purchased a few things from differant shops with direct checkout and I didn't even realize it until it asked for my credit card info (the direct checkout payment option was listed first and the default) which sucked because I wanted to pay with funds in paypal. Oh well. I wonder if this happens though in everyones shop that has direct checkout?

I deactivated mine a few weeks ago because of needing money to order supplies and it seemed like every order people were using direct checkout. I'm glad the option is there though to activate it if needed!!

Lol Melanie!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have avoided it as well and wonder if I should activate! hmmmm?
0 Likes

Kim--this keeps running through my head...

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

But...sometimes a little healthy fear is a GOOD thing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I had my first sale with it a few days ago. It's a bit slow, but I think that if I didn't have it, I probably wouldn't have made that sale. So, cheers to that!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Has anyone outside the US activated it?
0 Likes

EVERY SINGLE order has been DC since i activated it. No big deal...yes it is annoying that i have to manually fill in the info in Paypal....but like you said i also left money in the paypal to auto pay the shipping...

I have no idea what it is you could possibly fear with DC?? same thing basically....except handled through etsy....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I bet it will really benefit us during the holiday season. Like someone else mentioned it is really popular for first time buyers.
0 Likes

I've had tons of buyers use it too.

I got nailed by it because I accidently marked an order "shipped" last week, and THERE'S NO UNDO if you hit that button and the buyer used DC! So I convo'ed them and admitted to being an idiot (when really I'm like, freaking etsy).

aside from that, I'm happy about it.

people fear the crap out of change, most of the complaints I've heard about it have just been everyone looking to nit-pick about anything different.
0 Likes

I have it activated and have had 4 sales from it so far, but the majority are still via PayPal. I dislike that it is the default payment option, I would like the ability to set that myself to PayPal. It's annoying as a buyer too, I'm always checking out and then realizing I'm in direct checkout and have to back up to get into PayPal.
0 Likes

I have had a buyer complain that i do not have paypal...and i was like "i do!!!"....it's just not the default payment =(
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I bought something on Etsy and used it by accident. That could be what happened to the other people. It is the default. . .
0 Likes

So, I haven't done the math. Is the cost of using DC on Etsy the same as the cost of using Paypal, except for the postage thing of course? Thanks!

FEAR!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I looked the difference up before I turned on the DC. PayPal charges $0.30 per transaction + 2.9%, the fees for DC are $0.25 per transaction + 3%.
0 Likes

I have bought several things on etsy since direct checkout and I am not sure what you mean by the default payment. When I checkout I immediatly see the option for both paypal and credit card. I have not actually paid by DC, I prefer my paypal since I have funds in there, I don't need to fill out all my CC info...its just easier to subtract out of my PP account.
I have DC in my shop and about 1/2 of my customers use it. I think it's great. I was nervous about the wait period and no credit until shipped, but once you get a little money built up, I don't even notice it. Plus if you need funds sooner, you can request it...there is always immediate withdraw from paypal too.
I don't know if it has boosted my sales...could be coincidence, but I don't want to turn it off thats for sure...things are going well.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I really don't see what the fear is. Just close your eyes, activate, and go. You will get your money every Monday like I do.
0 Likes

Have no fear....its just another means for more money!
0 Likes

Julie, the cost is about the same. Etsy charges $.25 plus 3% per transaction, and Paypal charges $.30 plus 2.9% per transaction if you sell less than $3,000/month. If you're selling more than that, then Paypal gives you a discount though, so it's a better deal for high price/volume sellers.

Edited for misplaced decimals
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.