Promoting for Stores Selling Mature Items

Any suggestions? Facebook is definitely out I think. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
8 Replies

Re: Promoting for Stores Selling Mature Items

I am myself trying to find better ways of promoting mature products on Etsy.

Facebook is weird and I have given up on using boost post, they have robots responding with same response although I ask for specifics. I suspect the name (or url) of my store itself is the problem, but even linking to Etsy has proven not possible, even with non-mature items. So I gave up on giving FB any money for promoting. There are also several FB groups that are fetish related you can sometimes post items to with less trouble with FB on what you posted.

However, I have noted that depending on how the picture looks you can sometimes get away with posting on facebook some things that they sometimes restrict. I always add a link to both my regular site and Etsy shop location (if on both) at the bottom.  

I am currently trying out Etsy's Promotion via Google for my shop and while I currently have only the non-mature, safe items listed for available. However, I would like to add the actual Mature items if I think I can get away with it, but am nervous it will affect my Etsy shop which is a good 2/3rds of my retail sales. I have at least learned that google will understand the "mature" tag and limit access as appropriate, but I am still worried it will affect Etsy. I don't care if Google cuts off my Etsy adverts in experimentation, at least my sales won't go down because of that, just won't go up. 

Any advice would be helpful.
And if you reply with the acronym SEO (or its spelled out version), I will ignore you just for that. I have been scammed far too many times to even allow someone using that word combination to pitch to me.

1 Like

I haven't had any luck with Etsy Promotions. Tried both Google & Etsy and neither ever really seemed to have any affect. It just sucks that there's basically nothing in the forums or teams for sellers of mature items. 

I mean, I've come a hell of a long way from when I started, but I'm always trying to improve.

1 Like

After a little bit of further information that google sees the mature tags and acts appropriately, I kicked in almost all of my listing to the google via Etsy adverts. I am giving it 3 months because that is how long it took for my regular site to start showing some results. We will see if I have problems. It was emphasied to me that they MUST have the "Mature" tags on them and follow Etsy rules for those items.

1 Like

Update, at the 30 day mark of the promotion and so far sales are not enough to actually pay for the promotion. $58 in costs and $69 in sales do not a profit make; given fees and cost of goods, but 60 days to go. So far no problems with mature tagged items.

1 Like

At the little over 60 day mark, still not having problem with "mature" items, still not getting sales to make it worth it. However, I turned off some of the low cost items that had high click counts, such as my locks, although I have kept my buckles. So that maybe over the next 30 days the clicks will go to things that I might make some money from. Can't hurt at this point.

However, I will note that sales are down significantly for the month at this point.

1 Like

Doesn't really seem worth it.

0 Likes

Update at the 90 day mark. I decided to extent my experiment two more months.

Still sucking. But I left my buckle listings and they got almost all of the clicks, with not enough sales.

So this next 30 days, I have turned off the buckles, leaving just my mature products and we will see how it goes.
And then the plan if no significant change is to drop all but a very few of my most popular listings for the last month.

If still not enough sales then that is it, just not worth it.

Reasoning; I have suspected that it is the items that people search for frequently, but don't but frequently that is the problem. I only have a small selection of buckle styles and they may be looking for something different, so by eliminating those completely, maybe the clicks will now go to the products with a higher purchase-to-click rate. That is my hope anyway.  

My presumption had been if I get them to the store, they will look around and buy, but I am now going with I need to focus them towards items they are more likely to buy directly.

1 Like

Update, 
I just gave up on it, with just the mature items listed, nothing was getting clicks, not costing me much but not doing anything either, so just gave up on it. 

With offsite adverts during the free period I am getting similar results to when I tried the experiment, only this time I am in the mandatory category, so will have to jack up my low cost items (a lot) to make up for the mandatory advertising costs.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.