Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello and Printing Advice

I wanted to just introduce myself a little bit - newbie here (to Etsy and this group anyway). I have been designing for both "the man" and as a freelancer for several years and prior to that studied art and design in college. I was rather spoiled in my last job in that it was a print house so I never really had to broker out printing and most of my freelance work has been web based. In my new store I am looking to offer both print and web designs. I have seen sellers offer their designs as downloads for the buyer to have printed as well as offer both the design and printing, and also sellers that have a combination of the two. I am attracted to this last option.

I would like to know what printers you use or would recommend. I am mostly looking online as I've had good experiences. I like smartpress and really I've had good results from Vistaprint. I think I could also have a higher profit from Vistaprint as a reseller. Anyone else use them?

Most of the local printers I've found around me focus on long runs which I don't anticipate getting many of - at least not at first. Maybe I just need to do more searching but I think for the money the online printers will be best for short runs. Any thoughts on this from those with more experience?

Thanks!!!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
3 Replies

Re: Hello and Printing Advice

I also worked for "the man" and ALWAYS sent my designs out to VistaPrint, it was good quality work and really affordable. The only drawback is the 2 weeks it takes to actually get them in the mail. At my local pritner, I can get my prints in 2 days.

I personally ONLY offer printable downloads to customers. I have noticed that there are mostly just 2 types of etsy sellers in this category, the ones who sell digital files, and the ones who sell you the printed package.

The reason I chose to only sell digital files is because I don't have the time to be dealing with print. It takes lots of time to handle all that goes into getting these printed. I think people find the most success if they have their own printer and are able to do everything themselves.

I have had some customers who need a recommendation as where to print, but most of the customers who are in need of printable designs either do it on their own printer or have them sent to their local printer.

If I charged my Etsy customers the price of what my local print shop costs to print, they would think I'm nuts.

For me, I just can't justify charging my clients that price of my local print shop or tell them they have to wait 2 weeks for vistaprint to get them their invites.

Selling the digital files works just perfectly for the kind of work that I do. I wouldn't completely nix that idea from the get go. You could always try selling digital files first, and see how it goes, and then try selling printed versions.

Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Miller's lab is unmatched in customer service and quality. They also overnight to the address on your business account for free. If I order before noon, I usually have that item on my door step by the next day at 3pm and it doesn't cost me a cent for shipping. Ever. I have never had to buy ink, worry about my printer calibration, or freak out because I was low on paper. In fact, the only printer I own is about 10 years old and is a piece of junk...I wouldn't dare even print a 4x6 on that thing. I can also offer far more options this way such as single weight matboard, special coatings and textures, and metallic paper. www.millerslab.com
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Also, the minimum order is $10, so it isn't too horrible to have to meet.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.