Designs or Product...What's selling my work?

After spending over 6 hours on the last custom letter I painted (12" farm theme) I thought, "I must be stupid!!" The cost of the letter was $32. If had painted the same thing on a canvas, I could probably charge lots more AND make reprodcutions...duh!

But, my husband says don't change a thing. It's the letters buyers want. Just raise the prices...again.

So, now I wondering...Is it the letters that sell or the designs or the combo? Buyers say they love my work, but would I do as well selling standard framable prints with the same designs? (They would still be personalized prior to printing.)

There's got to be a better way!! :P

btw...I posted this in Critiques and got two responses. bummer
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
20 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Designs or Product...What's selling my work?

Posh, your letter art is lovely! I would agree with your DH. From your photos, I can see the quality, and the heart that goes into your art.

I would also look into selling prints as well. Might as well put a toe into the water so to speak and see how the reception goes.

I am looking into putting my child's illustrations into greeting cards.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well, I think it's the designs and the combo. You could definitely raise your prices a little. I think for babies, tho, the 3-D aspect of the letter is important in why people are buying, since babies are more receptive to contrast and light/shadow early on. The letters will create that shadow, They're lovely!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree with combo also. Very pretty by the way...

If I had small children again, I could see putting your lovely letters in a child or babies room, where I'd not put a canvas or framed work.

0 Likes

Thanks for the responses!! I think I'll try a few of the more popular designs and see what happens. I'm going to try a set of three, for monograms. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

PoshDots says:
After spending over 6 hours on the last custom letter I painted (12" farm theme) I thought, "I must be stupid!!" The cost of the letter was $32. If had painted the same thing on a canvas, I could probably charge lots more AND make reprodcutions...duh!

But, my husband says don't change a thing. It's the letters buyers want. Just raise the prices...again.

So, now I wondering...Is it the letters that sell or the designs or the combo? Buyers say they love my work, but would I do as well selling standard framable prints with the same designs?
======================================
PoshDots, or is it Becky.
I would like to give a clever answer as to how I enjoyed shopping in your boutique, but you know something I can’t.
I don’t browse, I generally don’t shop in a boutique unless it is a kitchen supply store for cooking instruments or an automotive junkyard which both probably stretch the definition of the word.
I am a buyer. At least registered as such and when I want something I come here and look for it. Not browse, I look for what I want when I want it.
I use a search engine an product shop.
Almost every product on Etsy is unique.
Almost all of the are desirable and usable at some time or another.
I have actually purchased on Etsy a product slightly similar to yours. I bought something like it as a young woman I have known since she was a little girl and now has a baby.
So it was a gift.
My point? If all that work was to go into a painting on a different medium, I would not have been looking for it.
Or something like it anyway.
As I see it, maybe you could put it on canvas, charge more and make reproductions, but my question to that would be this;
Would anyone actually be looking for it to buy one?
I dunno.
I have bought paintings and wall art here and other places, but nothing with a small child theme.
Seems to me you have a really unique product, one that is desirable and as long as there are people wanting something of that nature and there is a valid mechanism in play to find something that clever, people will be looking for it.
But if it was nothing but another wall art, one of many maybe with a prints available, wouldn’t it stand a chance of getting lost in the mediocrity of sameness?
Yuh, some times things like this are a lot of work, but then again, what’s new? It is unique and clever.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hey, I've loved your store since you opened :)
But as someone who spent a few years handpainting childrens murals, I've been confused by your pricing.
I know how much time you're investing, but I also know to raise the price more will significantly decrease your sales once you've crossed the threshold of "more than what people can justify spending on their kids".
Can you, or have you looked into having prints made of your work, cutting and then mounting them to the letters?
The cost would be slightly higher, but the work significanty less.
Not to mention, you can start doing limited editions and series.
I've used a lexmarq printer(about $100.00)
and the heaviest cardstock I could find to do prints that I needed to put a sealer coat on~
the combo has worked as far as not smearing when applying a glaze coat.
And the lexmarq has given me more accurate color than any other printer I've used thus far.

I know it's not the same as handpainted, but maybe giving people a less expensive option will allow you to do custom handpainted as well, but at what they really should cost

0 Likes
ClosetGothic
Community Curator

BlushEnvy - that's very good advice!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

PoshDots I love your letters. Is there a way you could photograph them and make prints of the photos for notecards? Everyone I know loves monogrammed notecards. It would be a way to branch out a little & showcase your art at the same time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I spelled it wrong, it's lexmark.
0 Likes

You all have great ideas and have given me a lot to think about. Thank you!! I have actually thought about all of the mentioned options at one time or another. I really love what I do, but the custom work is very demanding. Sometimes I just want to design/paint and not be so stressed about it, lol.

btw...that letter that I spent so much time on...all wrong! She wanted a "tractor" theme and I was thinking "farm" DUH! I just listed it and hope someone will come along, eventually!

0 Likes

BlushEnvy says:
Hey, I've loved your store since you opened :)
But as someone who spent a few years handpainting childrens murals, I've been confused by your pricing.

You and me both, lol!! I have raised prices so many times over the years. So far, it has not affected the business. But, as more and more sellers come onboard, it's difficult. My letters are already priced higer (I make sure of it.) But, the time that's involved...dang! I don't think buyers realize what goes into the whole process.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

No, they never do do they? If I realistically paid myself by the recommended formulas, my large paper rings would be like $300.00 -I wish!!!
Thus the "starving artist" right???
I feel your pain!

By the way, to part of your original question, are buyers asking you to do prints(and often enough to make you know you need to)? If not, I would just find a way to simplify what you are already doing.
0 Likes

Wow, nice! Myself I think I like them as the letters. They really stand out and makes your artwork very unique and eye catching.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Your letters are wonderful, and you must be doing something right because you have a lot of sales. I think part of what people are responding to is the folk art look of your work, but the letters must also have meaning. Do you feel that you're not getting enough money for the work involved? If so, try upping the price a bit and see what happens, you can always lower them again if it doesn't work out. Best ~ rae
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I missed the part where people are asking you to do prints. Why can't you have both? Make some prints based on the same themes and style as the letters. You could definitely charge more for them, and did I say it before, if you are already being asked for prints, what do you have to lose?

~ rae
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Designs or Product...What's selling my work?
======================
To me, the product.
I just recieved another wonderful product, ordered from another talanted individual as an alternative to going to the store at the end of the block.
I am a buyer, you all are why I am here.
I appreciate it.
0 Likes

Love your work. How about printing your art via an inkjet, gluing the print to either wood, foam core, or some 3D surface and cutting them out. It might save you some time.

I'd also sell your art as prints.
0 Likes
halfmoonroad
Inspiration Seeker

Your designs are are perfect for so many things! An idea is to scan them and use the designs yourself or sell them as supplies. I can so see them on the scrabble tiles or the waterslide decal jewelry. All you need is an extra 10 hours in the day and you'll be set!
0 Likes

If it's any consolation, I spent 3 days constructing an appliance cover, and silly me, I let the customer choose the fabric - at $10 a YARD. Ordered 2 yards and STILL had to buy more! Plus batting. Three solid days of sewing. Made less than $8 on the bugger. So, I feel your pain.

I much prefer to just create, using the fabric I can afford, and put it out there. I like doing custom work too, but it sure can get pricey and it's waaaaaay more pressure!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

PoshDots, I love your store and the products are unique to that of your competitors. I believe it is the product that sells ~ because it is hand painted. That said, there are several other, less time consuming mediums that you could use that would increase your margin. Decoupage would be one. Or you could use one of your letters as a stamp (using card stock paper) to apply to the letter/substrait; OR you could use fabric and glaze on your letters. I think your product is what sells and thinking of creative ways to embellish might be the answer.

BTW, I completely understand not being able to recoup the time spent on your art...if my customers knew how much time I spend cutting plates into tiles ~ and I charged for that time, I'd put myself out of business. Again...starving artist.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.