Team Challenges are designed to help ALL of our members increase exposure to their shops and increase sales. Our team have new members enrolling everyday, so I have to design the team challenges in series of lessons. That way, the new members will not feel like they are falling behind. They can follow and catch up to the rest of the team by simply following these lessons in order. This is the 1st lesson so we all have a fresh start. Ok, here we go....

Starting a business is a difficult challenge and it is also an art. As business owners, we have to wear many hats and have to be a jack of all trades. I know how overwhelming it can be to start a new business venture. Even if you are not a new business, you can still benefit from our team challenge business series of lessons. The market is always changing so you have to make sure that you are adapting to the changes each season. Plus, there are always something new out there to learn. Now, since there are so many topics and lessons to cover, and each of our members are on different growth level of their business; I have to make sure that we are ALL on the same page so that we can move along together.

Now, keep in mind that we all have different business needs. So if the lesson does not pertain to you then you have no homework for the week. Treat these lessons like your weekly homework. Each week, you will be assigned new homework assignments. Your reward at the end of the semester (lesson series) is to see growth in your business and sales.

First off, like I have mentioned earlier, to move forward together as a team, we cannot be doing random things here and there online or in forums. This is extremely non-productive. So to move our team along, I have to make sure that we are ALL on the same page and we will be starting off our Team Challenges on a level playing field. That way, we will ALL be able to grow together. Even if you think that the lesson pertains to you, please don't discount the lesson entirely. Before you decide that the lesson is not advanced enough for you, please give it a try. There is ALWAYS something that you can improve on because the market is always changing.

LESSON ONE: Store Makeover
1. Make sure that you have a cohesive theme and look throughout your store.
1a. Make sure you have a banner with your store name and logo
1b. Make sure you have an eye catching avatar
Your Avatar should be something interesting. It should be eye catching. It should make you want to click on it if you see it in a forum, chatroom, or facebook.
It could be your best selling item. Something that screams You. I see some people putting their picture up as their avatar, but let me ask you this question: If you see someone's picture in a chatroom or forum, would you click on it? Does it catches your eye? Does it stand out among the thousands of other images online? Does it tell others what you are selling? Does it represent/fit in with the theme of your shop? Now do you see my point. It is up to you if you want to use your own picture as your avatar, but I do not think that it is a good idea.
1c. Make sure you have set your store policies: including Returns and exchanges. Many people do not have a return policy in place and then when something goes wrong, then it's just a big mess because you did not state your terms ahead of time. Your store policy is a place where you can state your store terms and what your customer should expect from you and your shop (especially if something were to go wrong). And it is where you can lessen your liabilities. You should state a clear return and exchange policy. Also include shipping and insurance info here too. Just in case, if something were to go wrong, you would be covered if you state it beforehand in your store policy.

2. Take Great Photos
Good photos are not enough...it must be GREAT!
Online shoppers do not have the luxury of feeling and touching your products in person. So your job is to be able to do that for them. You should create an experience for your shoppers by the way you portray your products. Suggest how it is used, but don't just say it, show it with pictures.
2a. Lots of lighting (use natural light, no flash).
2b. Use light color background
2c. Do not use distracting props
2d. Ask yourself if you were in your shoppers' shoes, would you buy your own goods by just looking at the pictures? If you wouldn't buy it, then chances are your customers won't either.
2e. You do not need an overly expensive camera to take great photos. This is a secret, but some of the pictures in my shop were taken with my cell phone camera...can you tell which ones...exactly my point! A good source of natural lighting is the secret to taking great photographs.
2f. You do not need to be a professional photographers to take great photos. Just practice practice practice. Also, another tip is taking as many photos of 1 item will give you a better chance of getting a great photo out of the bunch. A professional photographer once told me that his secret to taking amazing pictures is to take as many of them as you can...you might be able to use only 40 photos out of hundreds. But 40 amazing photos is better than hundreds of so so photos. Do you see my point.

3. Lastly, make sure that all items in your shop follow the same theme and color scheme. When you open an Avon catalog or some other store catalog, all of the items look like they belong to 1 collection. There is no single item that screams, "I don't belong here." Now, make sure your shop is the same way. Your store is like an upscale catalog...now it is your job to stage your product and use the right color schemes (use a light color background for your photos)

4. Write a good description of your products. Paint a story. Suggest some uses for your products. Many shoppers might admire your products but they are only lookers and won't buy because they don't know what they will use it for. It is your job to consult them on what they should should it for. Lastly, answer this question for each of your products (in your customers' point of view): Do I have to have this item and why?

Alright...you are done! See that is not so bad!
Once you have completed this assignment, post your store here and we will critique your shop (optional). By posting your store below you are agreeing to have our members visit and critique your shop. Doing so is extremely helpful for our members who feel that they need a non bias opinion. Please remember not to take our critique personally...remember it is just business! Ok, now let's all have fun and help each other out!

Re: TEAM CHALLENGE: LESSON 1

bluedaisy:
Patti, Your avatar and banner are really nice and bright! However they don't seem to match the items in your shop. Maybe consider using a photo of some of your items in your shop and working them into your banner.

Fill in your shop announcement! Buyers love to read about your shop in that empty space below your banner. Also, use the "featured listings" function. It is along the left menu. Click on it an then click on "currently for sale" and click on the gray star of the 4 items you want to feature. The star turns green and you can order them however you like. Then these 4 items will always be below your shop announcement. It's a nice way to put your best images right up top and keep them there.

Your jewelry is really lovely. I especially like the marble red and white glass with bronze accents. I think the busy backgrounds are taking away from your items. Try using the macro setting on your camera (that little tulip) for some close-ups on a white background. Someone gave me that tip a year ago for my other shop and it really increased my views, and sales. Try taking the photos from an unusual angle too. Here is an example:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/50292593/summer-serenity-sand-dollar-book-thong

Have fun!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Can we start on lesson 2 or do we have to wait for the lesson 1 critique?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the shop makeover lesson. We are just starting to list items (online 2 weeks today). Would very much appreciate some critique, especially of the product pictures and descriptions. I have been working very hard, but know there is sooooo much more to learn and tweek.

I think this Team is going to be a great asset and look forward to learning and giving alot.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Mokey Bizz I love your product, how unique!

I agree about the banner. Your items are so unique your banner should echo that.

Your photos are cute but they are a bit distracting. There are so many backdrops and settings its had to focus on the product. In a few I looked first in the background before the item. But you have done a great job of getting good lighting and good quality photos.

Hope this helps!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

oldchateau

I think you have done a great job with your shop. Its attractive to look at and its easy to see the patterns of the products without even opening up the image its self.

i really love the photo of the packaging. This is something I strive to do is getting an attractive packaging and showing it in the product info.

Love it!
0 Likes

I am reviewing my pictures as shop items expire. I think I have gotten much better. I am certain there is still room for improvement. Anybody want to take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks April
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

threadsandthings1

You do have a great variety of items!

One thing I would suggest is to change the order of the items to try and keep them grouped together, like jewlery all together etc. I really like the photos of the jewlery on the cement sun flower!

The photos of the aprons and bags remind me of something my realtor told me once. Try to make our home look less like OUR home becuase people have a harder time picturing living in someone elses home. By this I mean the photos with the bags over the railing and the person wearing the apron with the door in the background. I strive to make my photos almost sterile, nothing to see but the product. Throw a white sheet over your couch, stuff your bag with newspaper and take some photos of the bags just sitting on a white surface with a white backdrop. If you cant get the object to stand up put some pillows under the sheet to give support. As far as the aprons go something like this http://homegarden.beanworthy.com/2-Female-Dress-Black-Flesh-Mannequin/A/B0040YZUXY.htm Might help.

Hope this helps! =)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

ChristasCollections

I love your work! I have two small suggestions and that is all. The font on your banner is not easy to read on first glance. And, the leoppard print backdrop distracts from your jewlery! =)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love your banner! A great color! Do you think you could get an avitar to match it?

One thing I think for sure needs to have a new photo is the flip flop sock. =( Happy shooting!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

now my turn....

I am especially in need of help with my policies but overall I would love to hear some suggestions. Thanks!!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/kiraud
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Kiraud

I looked at your shop and have a couple of suggestions.

I like your banner, it is bright and colorful, but may be a bit too busy. It is a little difficult to make out your shop name. You might want to try another banner with less background images to highlight your shop name.

In your shop announcement you have the word "with" twice in the first sentence.

Suggestion: "My shop is a place for hand made accessories crafted with care, attention to detail, and beauty.

In your Shop Policies, I found several misspelled words. I have to re-read everything I type for misspelled words. Sometimes it is even helpful to have a person other than yourself read them over because the typos are easier for them to spot.

Welcome section - ejoy - should be "enjoy"

Refunds and Exchanges section - recieve - should be "receive." 1st paragraph

2nd paragraph - recieving - should be "receiving"

This is what helps me, a rhyme I learned in school.

"I before E, except after C."

Please don't take this as being critical, I am just trying to help you tweek your shop and have it be as professional as possible. I hope this helps.
0 Likes

Hello,
I just joined, and would love to hear any suggestions. I am working on my pictures too.
Thanks,
http://www.etsy.com/shop/visionofbeautydesign
0 Likes

Hi,
Would appreciate your opinion on my shop (I know that I should change my banner image):

http://www.etsy.com/shop/eljuks

0 Likes

visionofbeautydesign:

I took a look at your shop.

I really like your avatar and banner, it looks romantic and indicates what you're selling.
I also like the description of goods and your stated policies which are very clear.

What I would suggest is to add more information in your profile, I would like to know more about you. And some of the pictures I would love to see more clearer and brighter.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Dear Eljuks's

Looked over your shop and have a couple of suggestions for you.

In your profile the word "remember" is misspelled. It is important to proofread everything because it is so easy to make a typo. Often a fresh pair of eyes (other than your own) does the job.

Where you state "I am proud of my handmade...." I would suggest trying something like "My handmade cellphone cases are a speciality item, every one has it own original design."

Welcome Section: Word "with" is used twice in the first sentence. I would remove the one at the end of the sentence because it does not change what you are saying.

Payment Section: Let your customers know that they DO NOT need a PayPal account to make a purchase. If they checkout with PayPal and scroll down to the bottom of the page, there is an option where you can check out using credit/debit card without having to open a PayPal account.

Product Titles - I would change some of the description titles listed. Remember that search engines don't pick out words like "Free Shipping." I would just move that to the end of your description. Look at whatever it is you are listing and try to think of the words you would use to search to find something similar.

I think your banner is great and your photos are good. You are off to a good start. Time and patience is all it takes!!!
0 Likes

Thank you 3OldeBroads for your time! It was really helpful and I'll definately improve my description.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi! I'm new to selling on etsy and would love any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BrenBooneDesigns?ref=hdr
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello everyone! This challenge was pretty tough, a lot of work involved. I think I’ve pretty much covered everything in the lesson…so could some take a look and tell me what you think? Thanks so much, Liz.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

eljuks

No problem. Convo anytime if you have a question or anything. Will be glad to help if I can.

If you have time, please critque our shop. Thanks.
0 Likes

Thank you eljuks for your time! It is really helpful to know what others think. I am definately trying to improve my pictures. And I will also work on the "About Me" section.
Thanks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Here is my shop please let your opinions out. Thanks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I like this group!! Everyone is so helpful. I like that people are helping with grammatical errors as well. If a customer thinks you cant spell.....they wont have the confidence in your abilities. I keep a dictionary right beside my computer, always double check. (as I look up grammatical)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Any more advice Anyone? Thank you for your time in advance :)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/bjsdesign

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I reopened this store in November, and honestly I wish I had listen to this type of advice the first time I saw it instead of finding out the hard way when I flopped last year. My pictures have improved significantly, I feel I have a cohesive theme, and I think I would buy from my shop. I know I need to improve (like photos!) - though its interesting you mention light colored backgrounds. I have so much trouble defining where my cards start and end when I set them against pure white.

So please critique my shop. :)
0 Likes
cutequilts
Inspiration Seeker

TurtlebugGoods, I'm deffinatly not the pro, but I think you pics are great. I think if you use a white background you will loose the edge of your card.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.