Team Challenges are designed to help ALL of our members increase exposure to their shops and increase sales. Our team have new members enrolling everyday, so I have to design the team challenges in series of lessons. That way, the new members will not feel like they are falling behind. They can follow and catch up to the rest of the team by simply following these lessons in order. This is the 1st lesson so we all have a fresh start. Ok, here we go....

Starting a business is a difficult challenge and it is also an art. As business owners, we have to wear many hats and have to be a jack of all trades. I know how overwhelming it can be to start a new business venture. Even if you are not a new business, you can still benefit from our team challenge business series of lessons. The market is always changing so you have to make sure that you are adapting to the changes each season. Plus, there are always something new out there to learn. Now, since there are so many topics and lessons to cover, and each of our members are on different growth level of their business; I have to make sure that we are ALL on the same page so that we can move along together.

Now, keep in mind that we all have different business needs. So if the lesson does not pertain to you then you have no homework for the week. Treat these lessons like your weekly homework. Each week, you will be assigned new homework assignments. Your reward at the end of the semester (lesson series) is to see growth in your business and sales.

First off, like I have mentioned earlier, to move forward together as a team, we cannot be doing random things here and there online or in forums. This is extremely non-productive. So to move our team along, I have to make sure that we are ALL on the same page and we will be starting off our Team Challenges on a level playing field. That way, we will ALL be able to grow together. Even if you think that the lesson pertains to you, please don't discount the lesson entirely. Before you decide that the lesson is not advanced enough for you, please give it a try. There is ALWAYS something that you can improve on because the market is always changing.

LESSON ONE: Store Makeover
1. Make sure that you have a cohesive theme and look throughout your store.
1a. Make sure you have a banner with your store name and logo
1b. Make sure you have an eye catching avatar
Your Avatar should be something interesting. It should be eye catching. It should make you want to click on it if you see it in a forum, chatroom, or facebook.
It could be your best selling item. Something that screams You. I see some people putting their picture up as their avatar, but let me ask you this question: If you see someone's picture in a chatroom or forum, would you click on it? Does it catches your eye? Does it stand out among the thousands of other images online? Does it tell others what you are selling? Does it represent/fit in with the theme of your shop? Now do you see my point. It is up to you if you want to use your own picture as your avatar, but I do not think that it is a good idea.
1c. Make sure you have set your store policies: including Returns and exchanges. Many people do not have a return policy in place and then when something goes wrong, then it's just a big mess because you did not state your terms ahead of time. Your store policy is a place where you can state your store terms and what your customer should expect from you and your shop (especially if something were to go wrong). And it is where you can lessen your liabilities. You should state a clear return and exchange policy. Also include shipping and insurance info here too. Just in case, if something were to go wrong, you would be covered if you state it beforehand in your store policy.

2. Take Great Photos
Good photos are not enough...it must be GREAT!
Online shoppers do not have the luxury of feeling and touching your products in person. So your job is to be able to do that for them. You should create an experience for your shoppers by the way you portray your products. Suggest how it is used, but don't just say it, show it with pictures.
2a. Lots of lighting (use natural light, no flash).
2b. Use light color background
2c. Do not use distracting props
2d. Ask yourself if you were in your shoppers' shoes, would you buy your own goods by just looking at the pictures? If you wouldn't buy it, then chances are your customers won't either.
2e. You do not need an overly expensive camera to take great photos. This is a secret, but some of the pictures in my shop were taken with my cell phone camera...can you tell which ones...exactly my point! A good source of natural lighting is the secret to taking great photographs.
2f. You do not need to be a professional photographers to take great photos. Just practice practice practice. Also, another tip is taking as many photos of 1 item will give you a better chance of getting a great photo out of the bunch. A professional photographer once told me that his secret to taking amazing pictures is to take as many of them as you can...you might be able to use only 40 photos out of hundreds. But 40 amazing photos is better than hundreds of so so photos. Do you see my point.

3. Lastly, make sure that all items in your shop follow the same theme and color scheme. When you open an Avon catalog or some other store catalog, all of the items look like they belong to 1 collection. There is no single item that screams, "I don't belong here." Now, make sure your shop is the same way. Your store is like an upscale catalog...now it is your job to stage your product and use the right color schemes (use a light color background for your photos)

4. Write a good description of your products. Paint a story. Suggest some uses for your products. Many shoppers might admire your products but they are only lookers and won't buy because they don't know what they will use it for. It is your job to consult them on what they should should it for. Lastly, answer this question for each of your products (in your customers' point of view): Do I have to have this item and why?

Alright...you are done! See that is not so bad!
Once you have completed this assignment, post your store here and we will critique your shop (optional). By posting your store below you are agreeing to have our members visit and critique your shop. Doing so is extremely helpful for our members who feel that they need a non bias opinion. Please remember not to take our critique personally...remember it is just business! Ok, now let's all have fun and help each other out!
jeantofashion
Registered Buyer

Re: TEAM CHALLENGE: LESSON 1

All the critics be welcome. I need help. Please, feel free to say every thing you want.
My store is:

www.jeantofashion.etsy.com

Thank you.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am new to this group and have actually have been working on everything in lesson 1 this week. My shop is

http://www.etsy.com/shop/aromacandlecompany
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you for starting this team. My banner were done by a professional graphic designer. So they are fine with me.

What I want to work on is taking pictures?

Here is my shop, let me know what you think.

jbsoaps.etsy.com

Thanks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Great team! I am going to jump right into lesson one this weekend and will be back Monday to see what you think (oh, boy:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Very good advice. Pics are the hardest part for me, my first ones were not very great, but i've def improved, it flowes alot nicer now, now I just need to get my first pieces re-shot. SOON!
0 Likes

I am enthused now. i have set out already to place a new banner in my shop. I think my photos can use some work. i will stop using my flash. i also think I will change that avatar. it has been around for awhile. Take a peek anyone and advise me please. i think you can click above and get to my shop. glad to be part of this team. Karen
0 Likes

Thanks for great advice Already! First up..I need an avatar....then better photos, make more jewelry..blah blah....suggestions are welcomed!
Gigi
0 Likes

Hi, everyone! We just joined the team. We opened our shop this week and would love a critique. Thank you :)
http://www.EleganceFarmHome.etsy.com
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am totally open to Feedback about my store...I appreciate that you have taken the time to spell out the ABC's and think that I have gotten off to a reasonable start...what do you think?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Here is my shop.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AAngels

I remember I was critiqued once and they told me to use a picture of yourself, so people can see who you really are. More personable.
Should I change it?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

excellent advice...as always. i will definitely try out everything. what do you suggest if one has an eclectic variety of pieces (such as myself). i have a few pieces that are the same. how can i make it all look cohesive?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Coincidentally set myself this challenge a few weeks ago! It helps to have a good camera, I HIGHLY recommend the Nikon Coolpix S8100.

Read the Engadget review of the camera here:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/08/nikon-coolpix-s8100-gets-1080p-video-s80-sprouts-an-oled-touchs/

Hopefully I have a cohesive "look" throughout the store. Recently changed my banner as well. Check the store out here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/beeankha

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have been working on taking better pictures. It is a slow process, as I have to reknit the older patterns, to get a new sample.

http://www.thebyrdsnest.etsy.com
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Alrighty... I know my main is to take some better pictures of a few of my products, but I'm working on it :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/jujubee4
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I need help with my banner. None of the photos of my work seem to fit. As you can see i still have the fall one up, simply because i was able to make it work. I was considering painting some spedifically for this purpose. Any suggestions?
0 Likes
bridgetclark
Inspiration Seeker

Ah! Just read 'Lesson 1" and gleaned some good tips. Changed my avatar and have a longer term goal of streamlining the look of my images. A great kick in the pants! Excited to join this group!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Okay, I've taken some of your suggestions to heart and made a few changes. Let me know what you think. I'm open to any and all suggestions.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks so much for starting this great team, Im happy to be a part of it! Please visit and critique, cant wait to hear from you!
0 Likes
additionsstyle
Inspiration Seeker

I just joined this team and I am excited about the opportunity to work on my business with a team and support.

I have been working on my shop for the last few months. I changed all the pictures, added a new banner, avatar, profile info, and sections.

So, I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Valerie
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

One thing that Studio11 did not mention in the original post that I think is very important is good grammar. Poor spelling, misused punctuation, or other grammatical mistakes can make a shop seem less professional.

If grammar is not your strong suit, or English is not your first language and you would like help editing your shop for correct grammar let me know!
0 Likes

It has come to my attention that some of our members are confused when it come to trying to get their shop and products to have a cohesive theme. There is a misconception that you can only have 1 or a few category of items in your shop and that defines cohesion...this is a total myth!

If you have many different items and products in your shop a great way to make your shop appear more cohesive is your background color, staging, and lighting.
For example, (I won't point anyone out specifically) there are some members on here who sells soap products, and they also sell bath lotion, lip gloss, incense, body mist, house fragarence, etc... They can stage the products similarly to give their shop a cohesive look. Using light color background and the same natural lighting for all of the products. This one particular member was able to make their shop look cohesive by staging all of the products romantically and giving it a Victorian cottage feel.
Think of a fashion runway collection. There are usually 40-50 different looks/garments, but each garment have 1 element that all of the looks have in common. For example, all of the looks have feathers, gems, wide belts, or bold colors. This is how designers create cohesion with so many different garments.
0 Likes

Elephunks is correct. Good grammar and correct spelling is very important. If you have bad grammar or misspelling, it will make your shop appear cheaper in value.
But I have to admit that I do have many spelling and grammatical errors in my writing (including some of my posts, announcements, and blog). And that is because many times I am in a rush and my brain thinks faster than I can type...so hence the misspelling and grammatical errors...no excuses...must proof read my work before I post.
Thanks for suggestions Elephunks!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm certainly open to my shop getting the once-over and thank you for your time and advice.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/whphotography

xo,
WHP
0 Likes

Hello!
thank you in advance for your help! I'm still working on some things, including getting my name into my banner, and better photos of my prints. But please let me know what you think and if there are any other suggestions that you have.
I appreciate this thread so so much!
-Brooke
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thelittlecanoe
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Studio11 I am sure we are all (myself included!) guilty of the typing-faster-than-thinking kinds of typos!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.