How do YOU do green?

What's your best tip for getting your studio a little bit greener?

In my studio, something I use a lot is t-shirts. Once I cut the image off of the front, it would be very easy to throw the rest out but I don't.
I use what I can for other projects. There are usually pieces still left over that can be used so I give some away for shop rags, my dad loves that, and I also put an ad on Craigslist for anyone that wanted them to come get them. Through that I met a lady that will come pick up my scraps for her own art projects any time I let her know that I have a bag ready. I set them out in the driveway and send her an email. I never even talk to her.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: How do YOU do green?

Wow! That's really good to hear. I just try not to throw anything away that could be used again, even if I don't have a particular use for it. Then I try to get it to someone who could give the item a new life. That's what's so great about etsy: being able to help artists upcycle and stay creative.
But beyond that, using craigslist could be such a valuable tool for myself as well. I'm sure I could locate local artists in my area that could find use in the items that I collect that are better off not in a landfill. I'm glad you shared this!
0 Likes
AutumnMoonSoapCo
Inspiration Seeker

I use second-hand stuff whenever possible, which is better than buying new, which is greener in some way. ;) I fit as many soap and crochet labels onto one sheet as possible. My mom has a box of off-white paper i'm using for soap labels (so it's not getting tossed--and it saves me money). My packaging over all is as minimal as i can get it. My soaps are environmentally-friendly. I freecycle my old amber oil bottles. I'll store flour in my 5-gallon oil buckets once they're empty, and i buy in bulk as much as possible to reduce packaging (and thus recycling/trash).
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use all my fabric scraps for stuffing dolls with when I run out of stuffing. I also use them to back beadwork with. We always try and re-purpose everything we can. Even the cardboard boxes we use to store things in get used when they break down for something.
0 Likes

I <3 cardboard! When I was teaching I hoarded it. We used it as looms, made stamps with it, built things... It's cheap and easily accessible so for the right person it's GOLD!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80405008/handspun-wool-2-ply-yarn-vineyard-bounty
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89981786/handspun-wool-2-ply-yarn-baby-girl-120
http://www.etsy.com/listing/78497063/farm-speciality-spinners-delight-organic

These items are from our farm. They are all organic, pesticide and antibiotic free. The fiber is harvested humanely. Please visit the farm. Your shoes won't get dirty, I promise.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77493822/organic-non-chemical-pantry-bug-catcher

I forgot all about these bug catchers. Made from a bottle saved from the landfill and decorated with vintage buttons. Very healthy way to catch those pesky critters in the pantry, doorway, beezeway or patio.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It's great to hear what everyone's doing to be a little greener!

I use recycled boxes and either recycled or scrap cardboard (sometimes both!) for my labels and tags.

I try to use as many old things I can. Especially old charms and jewellery pieces, which I either use as they are, or which I adapt and create moulds from. I also use a lot of recycled/scrap fabric and yarn.
0 Likes

I avoid using plastics of any kind. Both at jewelry making and in private life.
0 Likes

I use a lot of second-hand clothing in my sewn pieces. Old tops get turned into new bags, buttons are kept for use in projects, and yarn tails are kept to make new fun yard. I even use fabric & yarn scraps in my stuffed items if it's small and/or I don't have batting. I've even used wallpaper swatch books in projects. I do try to limit all the scraps I save so I'm not simply hoarding stuff, and I also donate things I don't see myself using in the next two years to folks who can use it for their craftiness.

It's great to see so many others who re-use and re-purpose!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hey Great to find this team and hear your green ways, very inspiring :) For my crochet, I use reclaimed wool that I undo from old knits and from op shops, only natural materials mind. I'm not big on synthetics and mostly manage not to buy new materials, however if I do, I source sustainable, organic materials and local as possible.
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/GaiaStarCreations?ref=hdr_shop_menu
0 Likes

Hello All,
I'm glad to find another green team!
I use reclaimed silver and , for the most part, found stones that rock hounds in my area cut and polish. In my early years of making jewelry I used everything from roofing metal to credit cards. It can be so much fun to see what is reusable. I can get wild with it , we once made an art studio and shed from reclaimed woods.

Tip never underestimate yard sales and garbage drops that have recycling centers.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.