Former_Member
What book are you currently making your way through? Do you recomend it? Has it inspired any crafting?

I'm currently making my way through The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. I have been thinking about making a pipe tobacco scented soap in honor of Holmes.
It's very good, not as sparkling as some of The Adventures, but still quite good.
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What are you reading?

I haven't read in the past month, gasp, I blame Etsy. All this talk of Sherlock Holmes has piqued my interest so I think I'll be picking those up soon. I'm a fan of Atwood, loved Alias Grace, The Blind Assassin and Oryx and Crake. The last book I read was Patti Smith's memoir Just Kids and it really got to me. At first I thought her writing a bit flowery, but I ended up getting into the rhythm of it and found her life and the era she was living in fascinating. Her relationship with Mapplethorpe, though unorthodox, was achingly beautiful.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

hi mollythePIRATE! middlemarch interests me - but as a bbc miniseries (i'm NUTS over this kind of thing). i used to be a huge sherlock holmes fan, when i was a kid. have not read confessions of a shopoholic - but i thought about it. only i couldn't get into the movie, so oops. i like bridget jones though, and things like this - meaning i am not exclusively a snob! this patti smith memoir that modernrubbish mentions sounds intriguing. i haven't read much margaret atwood, but i keep meaning to. she is so prolific. i read a lot of mcsweeney's type material - if anyone is into that, and dave eggers. i love nerdy humor.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ohmygosh there's a BBC miniseries of Middlemarch? I need to watch it now. I think it might help me keep track of the characters.

And in case anyone was wondering Confessions of a Shopaholic (book) was wayyyyyyy different from the movie. They borrowed names and a very vague concept and that was it. Wow.

modern - I go through phases where I have zero interest in reading and have gone a couple months without reading so much as a magazine. So that's not so bad to just be too busy for it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks Molly! I will not fret over my reading dry spell. I only saw the movie Confessions, on an airplane. Don't you hate when a movie butchers a book?!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ugh, I haven't had much time for non-class reading lately. For some of my academic work I'm focusing on a story by the French author Colette.
I've been reading some of her ther works, such as The Innocent Libertine. It's pretty interesting.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and am reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. Its a light read but makes you reevaluate a bit. After that I'm planning a library sweep of Hardy, Lawrence, Elliot, etc. I've seen a bit of the Middlemarch series in class. I liked the book but totally agree that with so many characters...its nice to watch the series to get a few of them straight...lol
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love Sherlock Holmes :) I got into Doyle's short stories several years ago and went through a phase where I read a TON of them haha. I've read a story here and there ever since, though not as many as I would have liked.

Regarding the Sherlock Holmes movie, I have to admit I loved it. I think my husband is a little jealous of my affection for Robert Downey, Jr. *rowr* ;) I can see why some people wouldn't like it since it's not exactly in line with the books, but... I adore it anyway.

I love Dickens' works, and vividly remember reading A Tale of Two Cities in high school (and really enjoying it). Even though his novels are lengthy (and I don't even really care for Dickens himself), I have a lot of respect for his literary works.

I read Margaret Atwood's book Surfacing last fall and really liked it. I love the extremely contemplative element in her books. Surfacing was very thought-provoking and enjoyable to read.

Right now I'm reading Cicero's Ad Herennium & Aristotle's On Rhetoric o.O And this weekend I have to write an in-depth comparison analyzing the differences between them. Why can't I just read Sherlock Holmes?!?!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello all! I just joined the group. I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird and Pride and Prejudice with my 9th and 12th grade classes, and I'm reading What is the What by Dave Eggers on my own time. It's an amazing story that couldn't be more suited to what's going on in the world today.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Welcome ajoeynamedroo! I loved What is the What! It's an unbelievable story!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I got a Kindle for my birthday and am currently enjoying all the free public domain books, rereading so H.G.Wells at the moment and a book book from Christmas on the history of the film industry. It has escalated my Netflix addiction.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Borders Closing Sale.... I just bought six new books. Mwahaha.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's of course, a must read! I'm sure some crafting will come out of it! I've been on a bit of a horror kick myself and have also finished reading a lot of H.P. Lovecraft. I'm trying to go back through a lot of the classics though and plan on reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" next.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Amandaloveskurt, your taste in literature is great!!! I recently read Dracula, it's excellent, agreed? And there are no words for my love affair with H.P. Lovecraft.

Plus, the picture of Dorian Gray is awesome. Kudos to you, you've got a great line up there of good reads!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I read Dracula a couple years ago and it totally scared me! Of course...that's why I read it. :)
I've never actually read Lovecraft but I did put a couple of his books on my mp3 player (I think I DL'd them from Librivox) so I could craft and "read" at the same time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Stitchingbevy.....I read The Edible Woman years and years ago. My all-time favourite Atwood novel!

Currently, I'm reading Heidegger and a Hippo Walk Through Those Pearly Gates by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein. Thought provoking and hilarious!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've never read Dracula...with all these positive reviews I guess I should check it out! I did read Frankenstein last fall and really enjoyed it.
0 Likes

My library closest to me is closing and they had a book sale! Got Jane Eyre, and 5 other really random books. One I want to read that I got is The Last Lecture. Anyone read it? No spoilers!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've never read The Last Lecture, but I'm a Jane Eyre junkie-- just made a soap in her name actually. I also enjoyed Frankenstein when I read it about two year ago, though Victor was quite annoying after a while.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just bought the complete adventures of Sherlock Holmes!! Can't wait to dive in!
0 Likes

Ya know, I've never read Sherlock Holmes...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

*dbl gasp!* First, you are certainly a lucky duck, modern!

And second, never read Sherlock Holmes?? Oh my, this is a dire situation! ;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Right now I'm reading "Moonspinners" by Mary Stewart. It's one of my all time favorites and at the tops of my summer reading list.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm a poetry girl, so I've always got a few poetry books going. Right now, I'm reading The Complete Poems of Kenneth Fearing, Man and Camel by Mark Strand, and I'm reading a novel by poet Kenneth Patchen called The Journal of Albion Moonlight.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love all the suggestions in this list! I've just added a lot to my "must buy" list!

I'm reading Mildred Pierce which is turning out to be very good, I'm also reading Great Expectations, a collection of H.P. Lovecraft and occasionally Wuthering Heights which is always in my bag, being my favorite book ever and all.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

On the Road!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.