Finding Dolls with Etsy's New Browsing Style

I'm wondering how the group is feeling about how Etsy's new browse style is affecting the traffic to our shops. I used to get most of my traffic via the categories, which aren't as apparent as before the "Browse" feature was released. The only traffic I'm getting now is from search.

If you try to find dolls with the new browse feature, it's like a needle in the haystack,

Also, as a group do we have any weight in talking to Etsy about making a change? If we want to how would we approach it?

:) Chellie Lynn
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies
Innovatora
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Finding Dolls with Etsy's New Browsing Style

Hi Team,

As of now I don't know much about the new browse style except that it has less categories to search with than the previous search. It would seem that searching for specific items would have to be done by adding more keywords in the search box. Then, hopefully the right items would appear in the search.

More items would be included in the general categories, increasing the competition because there are more pages of items within a category.

If anyone knows more about this please share. This is new for all of us on Etsy, so any experience would be great.

And as individual sellers and consumers on Etsy, we certainly have a right to say what we disagree with.

Again, any information/concerns about this topic, let us know! You may also convo me with comments about this topic as well. If we do reach many people who are concerned about this browse search and let admin. know, we will likely get a response.
0 Likes
LaBellaDoll
Inspiration Seeker

I am not impressed. I looked under all the categories I could to find my own art dolls, and didn't see any. I didn't have time to go past the first few pages. I wonder if we will ever be found again. :(
0 Likes

I am a member of the Handmade on etsy group on Linkedin...and they also don't care much for the new browse button. I will try and learn more.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, the Dolls & Miniatures category was added because of concerns of the makers of art dolls (specifically non-child-friendly dolls). They didn't fit in Toys, so the new category was the perfect place and I think it was very successful. Now it's back to the old way. People who make child-friendly dolls can list theirs now under Kids, but what about the rest of us? Are we chopped liver?

I guess list them under Art, but somehow that doesn't seem specific enough. Nothing seems specific enough anymore.
0 Likes

I'm getting a few views from the art category but not many. Strangely I'm getting far more views from the UK and fewer from USA. Don't know if this is coincidental. Overall my number of daily views doesn't seem to changed much. I'm reserving judgement so far!
0 Likes

I agree! The change that Etsy has made to the categories has made it very difficult for people to find my plush dolls! I'm also having a little trouble getting views because I just opened my shop too! I hope that they can improve this. It worries me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hmm I must be late on this.. I didn't notice a change.. where is this "browse" button? I looked on the etsy home page .. and when I typed in ooak and looked at dolls.. fantasy.. fairies, dragons etc..

I did find my doll on the second or third page... so not sure what this convos about?? clue me in?
0 Likes
Innovatora
Inspiration Seeker

Tammy,

If you go to the Etsy homepage and look to your top- left, there should be the option to "browse" several categories of items. There are fewer categories than before, for example, "Dolls and Miniatures" is no longer present.

People would have to know what to search for and type the item into the search bar. Or, they can browse under the categories listed and try to find the item that way.

If anyone has more information, let us know!
0 Likes

Putting myself in a customer's shoes, if I were looking at a doll and didn't know my options I would want to browse by category, which isn't an apparent option on the home page.

In regards to listing an item "categories" is still emphasized, this doesn't make sense when the seller is trying to strategize where an item will be seen. It seems the optional "Recipent, Occasion and Style" choices are what influences that, and what's offerred may not be relevant in our niche.

I know they have the data to look at, they see more than we do. Sales may have dropped in some niches and others may have grown.

I was hoping we could figure out a constructive way to bring this to Etsy.
0 Likes

I don't understand why the categories have to be limited to such an extreme on the top left of the front page. On the etsy front page they should just consider presenting - Categories - on the top left and link it to the complete selection. This would give the customer more category options (that i'm not sure customers are even aware of). If there was a link at the top of the front page that just says - categories - then all the categories could be presented equally. I think that would benefit the shops equally and present more options to the consumer.
0 Likes

Although I did forget to mention - I have found this site to be very well designed and very user friendly, especially setting up my shop! =) I just hope that my listing views will not decrease because of the new etsy front page setup!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I find the new browse categories do not include doll makers. It needs to be changed back to the way it was so that buyers can find us.
0 Likes

I agree!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Okay FYI, is anyone keeping track of their "shop stats" ??

I have now been getting hits from the "art browse" section. So I am guessing that maybe our dolls are showing up mixed into the art category...

Anyone else?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

When did this change on the home page take place? I have seen a huge drop in sales for many months now. This really concerns me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Dolls are now listed under "Home & Living", subcategory "Collectables", subsubcategory "Dolls". I believe -though it may not be good to quote me on this -that if you list some dolls under art categories, they'll show up there instead of Collectables. I haven't looked or tested this theory, though!

if you look under Traffic Sources on Etsy in Shop Stats, it now lists what section the views are coming from. It still lists categories too.

It's pretty new - a few weeks at most I think. They did roll it out to some before doing it for everyone.

I'm sorta glad we got split from miniatures. And I love miniatures - i have a doll house and everything , so this isn't a slam! But dolls are different. Ok, there are dollhouse dolls, but you know what I'm saying! ;-) I wish there was a non-etsy person we could have poke around in etsy to see what they could find and where.
0 Likes

I have received only about 10 views from the Kids Browse page, none from any other Browse pages, and seen my views from categories drop significantly. The change is not helping my shop with views or sales so far.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Earlier today (It is still Oct 29 here in TX for a few minutes) I had this in my "Traffic Sources on Etsy" Section of my stats
Art Browse Sections
whoever it was found a doll I listed last night and that same doll sold today. Don't know if it was the same person or not, just happy to have sold a doll.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just a tip on what I do...i dont always list in the same sections...i mix it up. I figure if someone looks from one section they will find my listings from another. I still do get lots of key word hits.

Has anyone thought to email etsy customer service ?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.