Former_Member
Not applicable

I would really like to enable DC

Jump to solution
My biggest issue is the fact that etsy feels a need to hold my money for weeks or even months until I ship. I have been here for 5 years with no non-delivery complaints. Why does etsy feel the need to hold my money from me? I could understand a hold like that if I was a brand new seller, but I am not.

The second biggest issue is that etsy has no clear policies on how disputes will be handled that are filed through etsy and in what circumstances they would force sellers to refunds. Will they start dictating when we should refund based on their own feelings of what is "good customer service".

another problem for me is that there is no manual invoicing tool. etsy should have done this from the start, as they already know how important this feature is, because admins are always telling sellers they have to manually invoice for various situations
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: I would really like to enable DC

Jump to solution
Hi -
I want to let you know that we hear you. We understand your concerns and know that the top issues for sellers are:

1. Shipping tools (labels as well as a calculator to ensure correct shipping costs)
2. Getting money prior to shipping for custom orders or orders with longer lead times
3. Explicit seller and buyer protections
4. Phone support

These are all things that are very high on our radar and we are working towards solutions - but this is by no means an exhaustive list.

Also, I want to stress that this team is for users of direct checkout to assist each other and provide suggestions. For those that are not using it, we do hear your concerns but we would like to keep the discussion around helping others, as there are other forums for ideas and suggestions.

Camilla

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hey Artisan,

Your concerns about using direct checkout are totally valid, and most of those concerns have already been discussed by other sellers and admin here in the team.

The team charter says "Sellers must be using direct checkout to join." We intended for the team to be a place where people using the feature (by having it enabled in their shop) could discuss it with each other and with us.

It's fine that you don't want to use direct checkout right now, but we typically do not add people to the team unless they have it turned on in their shop.

As Camilla mentioned, we are aware of everyones' concerns and requests for direct checkout. We're working on a lot of projects right now and can't wait to share them with everyone!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
21 Replies

Jump to solution
I know I have read in some of the threads here that etsy is still working on a solution for shops that do custom work.

I think that is part of why it is being rolled out so slowly.

I was one of the original handful of shops to get DC and I can tell you that there have been some tweeks made to it.

We had a private team in the beginning and admin was very receptive to our suggestions.

Paypal just takes the money and we have to prove that delivery was made, at least etsy gives us the chance to resolve a problem without taking the money first.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
etsy doesnt put the money on "hold" like paypal, because we have authorized them to go and pull it from our CC or bank. but, thats neither here nor there , and not my issue anyway

i didnt start this to compare the 2. if I was to compare the 2, paypal would win by a mile, and so would google. and I have even stopped using paypal
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Artisan, I have similar concerns with DC. I have to purchase gold and my orders are usually 3 weeks out, but? I turned DC back on as I worry that it will be harmful to my business to not accept DC.

There are problems with every processor and I am trying to convince myself that any tweaks that need to be made to make DC more custom-order friendly will be made down the road. I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face, you know?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
i have lived for the last 5 years without DC, so I dont see how its really going to harm me at this point to not accept it, later on it may hurt to not have it. I cannot turn it on until its more friendly for sellers like me and i know what to expect should there be any type of dispute

I would like to turn it on now, just to be more convenient for everyone. but,the negatives and possible problems, far outweigh the convenience factor
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
frankly, i would rather etsy make the money for the payment processing. the more they make, the more they can invest in the site and make it better, and help us all make more too
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
if we were allowed to discuss a specific transaction, i could give an example where etsy holding my funds would have cost me 100's of $, close to 1000, that I would have put out of my pocket and never gotten the money from etsy. and 3 years later, etsy would still be holding it
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Honestly, I agree with you completely, I really do. I haven't heard of anyone's dealings with admin concerning a dispute with DC, yet, but what I am *hoping* is that because etsy has access to our policies, our conversations with customers, and the wording of the order itself is that they will have a much more in-depth knowledge of what went wrong in the event of a dispute and that it could be a better resolution process than we have even with PayPal.

As far as the money holding, I would love to see some kind of trial period or a link to a checking account or credit card, that would verify a shop and allow admin to lift the hold until the item is shipped. An invoicing system, I am positive is in the works. And a tiered system where sellers who make $X a month/year would get a better rate would be ideal and more competitive with PP. Because, yes, I would rather give the money to etsy than to any other processor, for the reasons you stated above.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
@Celia, I am in the same boat as you with regards to the length of time my funds are held. Most of my business this time of year are sterling silver wedding party cufflinks that take 3-4 weeks to complete.

I too keep DC ,as I am afraid not using it now will hurt my business.

@Artisan, your questions are all valid and I have no answers. I've already spent my own money to upgrade shipping because we have no invoice feature. Of course it would be great if customers tell you up front if they need special shipping. I think they assume we are like every other website where shipping options are built in.

@Lauren, I've not seem admin chime in about custom work, are you sure they are considering this?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I also meant to add, that a tiered fee system would be great. I am losing money with DC because I got such a great rate with paypal.

I know DC is optional, but once you have it, it seems like you need to keep it. I'm just hoping admin is reading and can implement some of our suggestions.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Yes, exactly, Sherry. It shouldn't be a "love it or leave" kind of thing. I, too, am hoping that admin is listening and will take our suggestions to heart. I know of sellers (who make boodles more than I do,) who won't even touch it because of the drawbacks. It seems to me that making DC more friendly to sellers in turn would make etsy more money and is a win/win.

ETA: Oh, and I look like a crazy person with all my multiple personalities! I am sorry, same old Celia just in a new get-up.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
etsy wants us to trust them with handling our money and disputes, but they dont trust us to ship the items? it works both ways, and they have to trust established sellers too
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hey AWC. :)
I had/have the same concerns as you and at first I was dead set against ever offering DC. But then I figured that I'd give it a try and see how it works and if there is ever a problem, I'll see first hand how it's settled. And if I don't like it, I can turn it off.

I don't have the concerns that GG and Sherry do because I don't buy gold/silver in large quantities nor do I do large custom orders, but I can see their concerns and hope that admins considers making changes. I'd like to think that since this is only the beginning, they will.

I've had it a week now and have had 7 buyers use it already. Who's to know if they would have used PP. Probably so, but I'm not about to poll everyone that uses it.
0 Likes
2TrickPony
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I'm using the DC and its working fine for me; true, I have to wait for the money to be deposited, but I don't count the $$ as mine till the order is completed and accepted by the customer anyway. (in terms of spending it)

yesterday I had to issue a partial refund to a DC customer and it was WAY easier for me to do than with pay pal.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Rachel from 2TrickPony says

I'm using the DC and its working fine for me; true, I have to wait for the money to be deposited, but I don't count the $$ as mine till the order is completed and accepted by the customer anyway. (in terms of spending it)

well, since i require to be paid before making items, i count the money as mine when they pay, same as my books are supposed to count it, not 2-4-6-8 weeks later when I ship.

and the thread isnt about who it works fine for. its about me and others like me who want to enable it, but cant
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi -
I want to let you know that we hear you. We understand your concerns and know that the top issues for sellers are:

1. Shipping tools (labels as well as a calculator to ensure correct shipping costs)
2. Getting money prior to shipping for custom orders or orders with longer lead times
3. Explicit seller and buyer protections
4. Phone support

These are all things that are very high on our radar and we are working towards solutions - but this is by no means an exhaustive list.

Also, I want to stress that this team is for users of direct checkout to assist each other and provide suggestions. For those that are not using it, we do hear your concerns but we would like to keep the discussion around helping others, as there are other forums for ideas and suggestions.

Camilla
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Camilla, a sincere thanks for stopping in. I know sometimes our wish lists are long, but we very much appreciate that you hear us.

After all, we have the same goals, satisfied customers.

xoSherry
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thanks for the response.

one thing i would like to mention- I hope by "shipping calculator", you dont mean a USPS integrated one like ebay has. That wont work for many sellers like me either

FYI, i am a "user" of DC, and I am providing suggestions, so i am not sure what you comment actually means
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
here is what it says in "about this team"

We'd also like to hear from you if you have any feedback or suggestions for improvements to direct checkout

I am really flabbergasted that you just said that I should go elsewhere to provide my ideas and suggestions concerning DC.

The team captain herself approved me joining, when I convod her. no i am am told its only for "users" and I should go elsewhere with my suggestions

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hey Artisan,

Your concerns about using direct checkout are totally valid, and most of those concerns have already been discussed by other sellers and admin here in the team.

The team charter says "Sellers must be using direct checkout to join." We intended for the team to be a place where people using the feature (by having it enabled in their shop) could discuss it with each other and with us.

It's fine that you don't want to use direct checkout right now, but we typically do not add people to the team unless they have it turned on in their shop.

As Camilla mentioned, we are aware of everyones' concerns and requests for direct checkout. We're working on a lot of projects right now and can't wait to share them with everyone!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
UMM, I am using DC, you are currently holding some of my money, so whats the problem? am I not allow to post something that "had been discussed before"?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
here , I'll do you a favor and leave the team, since you dont want to hear my suggestions and/or valid complaints, or my opinion isnt valued because you only have $100 of my money
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.