Former_Member
Not applicable

How do I find how much I paid in fees for direct checkout?

Hey! I am getting my taxes ready and I need to find how much I paid in fees through direct checkout?

Thank you so much!

~Madeline
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: How do I find how much I paid in fees for direct checkout?

The only place I've seen it is in my shop payment account. I enter them manually in a spreadsheet. I sure hope Etsy will create downloadable files with the data. Adding them up manually or keying the info into a spreadsheet is nuts.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, I am working on transferring my info to Outright.com. Seems to be working so far. But yeah they do need to have a place where it is all added up!
0 Likes

The orders CSV file has the DC fees. You can import that in to a spreadsheet and figure it from there.

It has the original DC fees in one column. In another column, if you did a refund it has the adjusted amount of the fee. Makes it a bit awkward to do a straight formula for a final number in the spreadsheet.

I manually figured the refunded fees and subtracted those from the total fees, for this year.

Last I messed with it....the shop payment account page table did copy and paste nicely into a spreadsheet. But because it only shows a small amount of data at one time I didn't mess with trying to port anything into a sheet from there. Also, not sure how it handles the adjustments when you refund, if that is a separate entry or if it just adjusts a previous entry to reflect the refund.

If I remember correctly, they were changing/testing on that page (shop payment account) off and on and things would change, probably another reason I wasn't looking at it.

Oh, and the sold order CSV file never "closes" so to speak. So if you pull your data for January on February 1st and then do a refund on a January order in March, it will change the line in the orders in January--making the file you downloaded inaccurate.

---------------

Next part is just my editorializing ;o)

I'm guessing if they have "recommended" partners we aren't going to see much improvement in the reports side of things any time soon.

Really a shame because people like me aren't going to use Outright after seeing the problems others are having. And I definitely won't pay a monthly fee to a software company that is not providing consistent and accurate results. A whole 'nother group doesn't want anything to with GoDaddy (who owns outright now).

And if I am going to pay "extra" to get reports, organized data that I need for taxes......paying for a third party that only has access to the API Etsy allows it to have access to seems...well unnecessarily convoluted and just another place for errors to happen. Oh, sorry IRS, my book keeping software messed it up, but that's cool right? I don't think that will fly in an audit. OH and if Outright is all that on a silver plate...why wouldn't Etsy buy it instead of GoDaddy???

So--instead of listing all the stuff I have to list I am slogging through the Etsy CSV files. I suppose the cut Etsy gets from partnering with Outright offsets that loss for them, though.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, outright did not give me accurate results! Made me mad. Their numbers are all messed up!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The old fashion way of book keeping works just fine for me. Not too bad to keep up with if done daily. It is also nice to know how and where things are going on a daily basis, as a shop owner.
0 Likes

I have to go with griffincat's last post on this one. Whether on paper or a spreasheet a business owner really should be keeping track of their income and expenses on a regular basis. I have a spredsheet - as sales come in I enter the revenue and payment processing fees (I enter Etsy FV fees when I pay the bill), also online purchases as incurred. In person purchases I admittedly tend to enter every other week when I sit down to do my household paperwork/bills and clean the receipts out of my purse. It is not someone else's responsibility to keep this for me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you Deb,

As I read all of the posts of people looking for one figure or another, it makes me wonder if anyone pays any attention to anything anymore, and just expects someone to hand them a sheet of paper with all of their yearly figures and totals?

Maybe the modern world has gotten to that point, but if you are serious about your business as you should be, then weekly stats or worst case scenario, monthly will certainly help. Yes, the yearly handouts are nice just to double check your work, but to rely on them would be a mistake.

I like to see which category is selling best for me, where I am making the most money, and my inventory in each category. It is the only way to know what I need to focus on, what I need to buy for inventory, and which items I should not be buying. I pattern things, make projections, set goals, etc. based on the numbers. I do buy and sell things for a living, but it should be common place for everyone serious about building a thriving Etsy business.

0 Likes

I must admit, downloading all the reports from Etsy, Paypal and Outright makes my head spin! Not to mention for me none of them add up to my own record keeping or to each other for that matter.

I was a bit worried about these being on line and what would happen if I couldn't access them for some reason...Etsy, PayPal or Outright are down.

So much that I gave it all up and bought Quick Books. What a time saver and I know the numbers are right.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I like to see things on paper so I tend to make more work for myself entering into an accounting program and doing it on paper journals, but I feel better doing it that way and it's actually less headaches catching mistakes as they happen rather than months down the road.. Just my opinion.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.