Former_Member
Not applicable

focal length problem

ArtfulHandJewelry from ArtfulHandJewelry says

Hi, Need a spot of help. I need a better quality photo for a large banner so I'm working with my husbands Canon Powershot SD960 which has 12 megapixels , which I am totally unfamiliar with. This camera doesn't allow me to adjust for focal length and my photo is coming out blurry at the back. Any tips for how to fix this? This photo is the one I have been working on. Thanks so much.

www.etsy.com/listing/94544080/handmade-cape-cod-sand-dollar-lampwork
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: focal length problem

love your shop.

i think your only option with a point and shoot is to take a longer shot (stand back further and frame the image with a lot of background) and crop it.

all point and shoots will automatically shorten the depth of field. i don't thing your power shot has a manual aperture setting. you'd close that down to a smaller fraction reading to get a longer depth of focus.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you. Ok, I'll try that. I don't seem to have these problems with my Sony Cybershot, so as soon as I get that one good shot with the Canon, I'm giving it back to hubby!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

each brand will have its own technical specifications so there will be some variation.
0 Likes
MosswoodStudio
Inspiration Seeker

It is not focal length, it is something caused depth of field.

To get products in focus at the back your aperture needs to be a very large number. Try using Av mode on your camera - aperture priority - and setting to f16 or something.

Your camera manual should tell you how to do it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

thanks. i think the op has a point and shoot so depth of field isn't much of an option unless she shoots close up on a lanscape setting, but that will pose problems, too.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.