jerseymaid
Community Member

Why I’m still here.

I wrote and posted this in the forums in 2015. I came across it today in my iPhone notes and thought wow. It’s 2019 now , I’ve been here 7 years, and I could have posted this today! So I thought I would repost it. I hope it encourages someone. Here goes...

From Starbucks to etsy. One girls journey. 

Like a lot of etsy folks out there I've been struggling with all of the changes that I've seen take place around here in my few years as an etsy seller. These changes have felt very personal to me and have conjured up a vast array of feelings. From sadness to flippancy to anger. Some people say 'well it's their site, they can do what they want so sit down and shut up or get off the train'. I totally agree with this in my head but why does my heart still hang on like a loose tooth? 
Well today I had an epiphany! But it doesn't start with etsy at all. It starts at Starbucks. You see over 20 years ago I was a Starbucks barista. This was just as blenders were entering the picture for the first time. Frapuccinos were brand new and VERY controversial. We did not have toasters because corporate didn't want the smell of toasted bagels over powering the aroma of coffee. We didn't have microwaves or breakfast sandwiches. We had coffee. And it was good. 
I absolutely loved my job. Not just because I loved coffee but because I loved people. Nothing made me happier than seeing a line to the door in the morning, the regular customer at the register saying to my coworker, 'she's already got it.' Because he knew that I knew and I had him covered. And it made him feel special. A Cheers moment if you will. I saw people come in single. Then with a beau. Then a fiancé. Then a husband. For one gal it followed that she came in alone again in tears, and I hugged her while she cried. Then there was George. Oh George. He was at least 80 and adorable. He came in every day for a short black coffee. The week before my wedding I said on the fly , 'George! I'm getting married Saturday! Wanna come?'  He came. He wore a newsboy cap. I have a photo of him.  I'm sure he's gone now. 
Over the last 20 years I've watched in sadness as Starbucks has left it's first love. Toasters. Microwaves. Instant coffee pack! Vanilla flavored beans!! And I've taken it personally. Cuz in a way it was mine. Not because I bought stock. But because those years of my life when I worked there were precious to me. A 17 year old on her own wanting the coolest gig in town! Then at 18 engaged and seeing my fiancé walk in to visit me at the bar. My wedding with George there and my coworkers and everyone holding Starbucks cups, not because we were cool but because we were poor and my manager 'donated' cups for us! Then before I knew it I was preggers and huge in my green apron! 
And this is why I love Starbucks. And I always will. I can't stop loving her! Because she means all this to me.  And no matter how far she strays she will always have a place in my heart. 
And now etsy is my girl too. While I am crazy frustrated with the junk going on and being sold on here I still love her. Because she took this unknown girl in this small Tennessee town that no ones ever heard of and gave me wings that have taken me all over the world. And forevermore when I see that orange logo I will be opening a time capsule to this place. This moment. And my kids will always be young and under my feet. There will always be noise and chaos and sunlight streaming into my kitchen. My puppy will be looking up at me wanting to sit in my lap while I'm sewing. 
So for me it's not really about etsy and what she's doing or where she's going. It's about me and where I am , where I've been. And I will always ,always be in crazy love with that. 

So thank you etsy. And Starbucks too. 

:)

151 Likes
119 Replies
JaidaGraceDesigns
Community Member

Re: Why I’m still here.

I love your story...and I particularly love your positive attitude! So very refreshing from all the negativity in these forums :) Best wishes to you! You go girl! 

11 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Thank you. Thanks for taking time to read it too :)
3 Likes
BramblyWoods
Community Member

I love this! You made me cry...

I was a Gloria Jean’s girl over 25 years ago. Same thing, I loved the line, the customers, my co-workers, the coffee. I felt ownership. Time it was and what a time it was....and now I feel the same about Etsy. It has given me so much, really, and taken so little. Where else could I have my own business so easily?

Thank you for your perspective; even if you touch one person, you have accomplished something.

Thank you!

6 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Exactly. Feeling that ownership. It’s hard sometimes but at the end of the day it’s OUR story to make. Sending love. 

2 Likes
TheGlowingSkin
Community Member

You go girl! Both Starbucks and Etsy should put it in theirs marketing blog,- this post of yours. Will make people who are disillusioned see these companies in a new light.

6 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Thank you. It’s difficult to keep positive sometimes. But life is about story and we each have one. 

3 Likes
jmjewelryoriginals
Community Member

Thank you for your inspiring story. When I started with Etsy , I was still a private caregiver of 44 years. Now , I’m retired to 2 young grandchildren. That is why I’m still here. It’s my bread and butter. I count on what few sales I have. Too many changes all at once. I miss the old Etsy !

2 Likes
sharonjenkins1
Community Member

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Thanks for reading! I know it’s long :)

1 Like
Gardenage
Community Member

Loves it.

2 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Thank you!

1 Like
LovePigStudios
Community Member

I read about George, and I felt misty!

I. Love. This!!

6 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Now I’m misty. George was the cutest. 

1 Like
jerseymaid
Community Member

I found his pic and posted on Instagram @jerseymaid which my Instagram followers will probably find strange :)

1 Like
FeltWithAHeart
Community Member

@jerseymaid I agree with everyone above. Your sweet story made me laugh and cry too! Even tho the story is totally different, it reminded me of how I always wanted to work in a bookstore and finally got a chance, even tho it wasn't quite the kind of bookstore I always dreamed of. Every time I left my shift, I'd walk out the back door and as I locked it, I'd whisper "Goodnight, little bookstore." And it went thru a lot of changes that most of the employees hated, and I stayed a few years, but finally decided to leave, and cried as I locked the door for the last time. But I still loved it, for what it was originally, and for my dream of what getting that job first meant to me, and for some of the people I got to know who would wander thru and make it fun and memorable. I love etsy too, and what it has meant to me from my first sale up to the one I got yesterday. Some of the changes aren't always what I'd like, but its still my own shop with my own creations, and I never dreamed something like that would happen, so its like you said, its really more about you.

Thanks for sharing that! Loved it so much!

5 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Exactly. We all have a story don’t we! Our small town is blessed to have an Indy bookstore. It’s my favorite place to hang out. :)

3 Likes
xoDaniBreen
Community Member

@jerseymaid 

Wow, I am very glad I decided to check the forums at this moment!! What wonderful words!

p.s. I think we'd all love to see that photo of George ;)

3 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Well you know what that’s a great idea!!!  if I can find my wedding album :-/ I will post his pic on my Instagram!!! It’s @jerseymaid 

2 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Found it! I’ll post it on my instagram today!! 

2 Likes
xoDaniBreen
Community Member

@jerseymaid 

Found him! Took me a minute... ;)

What a nice looking man. And probably just 75 or so there, if I had to guess. Maybe he is still around!

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

Your story is lovely; Thank You for sharing it with us!

3 Likes
jerseymaid
Community Member

Thank you for taking time to read it. :)

1 Like
PWOriginals
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your beautiful story!

1 Like
jerseymaid
Community Member

Thank you for reading. :)

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.