Highlighted
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

A new trend report is here: Let's discuss!

Happy Spring all!

I’m Dayna Isom Johnson, Etsy’s resident trend expert. It’s my job to seek out the coolest Etsy trends (being set by sellers like you!) and share them with the world, including buyers and the press.

I’m here today to share Etsy’s latest Marketplace Insights report—a 40+ page seller guide to what’s hot this season.  The report is packed with search data, category-specific trends, and tips for making the most of upcoming shopping occasions like Mother’s Day and graduation season. You’ll also find examples of my 2019 predictions for the year, like maximalism and southwestern style.

Check it out! https://etsy.me/2U2DlYM

I’d love to hear from you—what are your favorite trends right now? How will you incorporate them into your shop?

Let the trend talk begin!

126 Likes
149 Replies
PillowDetails
Community Member

Re: A new trend report is here: Let's discuss!

That will take some time to read.  Thanks for your efforts!

14 Likes
TheMerryBluebird
Community Member

It's nice to see the top search results, and I love that you included vintage too!!!  Thank you.  

16 Likes
KennaSatoDesigns
Registered Member

Thanks for creating and sharing this awesome guide!

I'm in LOVE with bold, abstract patterns right now - I have a couple terrazzo-pattern decals in my shop and im currently sketching out some new designs for fun, eclectic wall decal sets. I'm also sort of obsessed with 90s and early 2000s nostalgia, but I'm still trying to figure out how that can translate into new designs for my wall decals and/or art prints. I've got some sketches in the works so we'll see how it goes! :)

11 Likes
FieldsOfVintage
Community Member

Whatever happended to the promtion section in the forum...Dang, bring it back!

2 Likes
PaintingIdeas
Community Member

I wish the promo section would be available again or more obvious.

2 Likes
medlongsc
Community Member

Looking forward to sitting down and reading the entire guide tonight. I'm already thinking about how I can incorporate some of the trends you mentioned into my designs. I try to be the trend setter and stay on top of the game. 

9 Likes
OwlTalk
Community Member

Checked it out yesterday, took notes and will see where it can fit into our shop. We seel mostly vintage, but also some hand made items. Thanks!

9 Likes
OwlTalk
Community Member

Don't like how I can't correct / edit mispelling on my previous post :(

6 Likes
secondarycreations
Community Member

@OwlTalk- If you click on the little down arrow to the right of your post, you'll get a dropdown list with the first choice being to edit your post. Took me awhile to figure it out, but now I use it all the time.

8 Likes
maydaylabels
Community Member

I think it's important to consider whether our shop's target market is right with current trends, or maybe a bit behind, or maybe way behind, or maybe off to one side.  

For me, for our customers, minimalist design is starting to come in - clean lines, simple logos.  Hand drawn still exists and watercolor is of course still huge.  I think the wider trend world may have passed hand drawn a couple of years ago but it's still going pretty strong here.

Watercolor is stronger with the wedding and frufru segment of my target market (which is great because I love watercolor).

I haven't seen any movement towards memphis cut out designs, although I like the idea of bold colors and simple geometric shapes.

10 Likes
IndiadeLanda
Registered Member

I love the Memphis geometric style. Check out my shop IndiadeLanda

4 Likes
LittleHomeMades
Community Member

I completely agree with the cleaner simpler ideas starting to grow.  I focus more on Baby Showers and even in my section people are looking for the simplier designs, clean white and plain colors with a little floral.  Customers do go for the burlap too and grays but I see plain yellows and whites go far more than that.

3 Likes
TheLastKult
Community Member

Going by the SERPs the gender neutral trend seems to be baby orientated, rather than adult clothing (apart from slogan tees). Is this the case, or is there an increase in GN/ unisex for adults?

5 Likes
witchstitchwhich
Community Member

I'm non-binary and part of a few non-binary communities, I would say that gender neutral adult clothing is very much in fashion, as long as it's not boring - we like bold things!

8 Likes
PatsBabyHandknits
Community Member

I think this is where I'm going wrong with my baby clothes. Trying to stick to traditional colours although I still think there is a market for them. What colours are on trend for baby clothes?  

2 Likes
millemarille
Registered Member

I absolutely notice the trend of gender neutral colours and styles in baby accessories! 

@PatsBabyHandknits

I think you definately need to change your colour code. Too bright and too much pink and blue. Choose more 'poudery' and pastel colours and earth tones than you will hit definately the spot! Good luck and lots of success! 

1 Like
SonyaCrochetToys
Registered Member

Thank you for great work! I found a lot of key words for my itemes!!!

3 Likes
rabbitandrain
Community Member

I'm so excited for maximalism! I am not sure if this is something my customers would intentionally search for, but I definitely notice it on Instagram - especially in home decorating shots. Maybe it'll just automatically translate into more home decor purchases... Gotta get those statement walls furnished! I am really curious to see how maximalism can translate to jewelry and apparel.

I also thought burnt orange was an interesting choice. I've never thought about that color in my life, but I'm all for it! I am gonna go for some terra cotta tones 😍

5 Likes
TheVintagePorch
Community Member

I am feeling good about the maximalist trend in home decor, I am even starting to notice more of it in the home decor magazines.  Some people do not follow decorating trends, but many do, so I feel certain this will be a good thing for my vintage home decor shop.

2 Likes
KimKatDesign
Community Member

I wanted to add to the burnt orange idea. I am so glad it's one of the hot colours since I added it to my choice of colours a year ago ; ) 

4 Likes
BlueCatStudioShop
Community Member

Very nice job, lots of useful information.

I really don't think Southwest design will ever fly again, not to mention Memphis, but that's only my opinion.

2 Likes
ArtiquelyInspired4U
Community Member

I'm always interested in trends, especially colors. I go by Pantone which is followed by the design community. I know that Esty says that burnt organge is trendy, but it's a color I personally never liked.

The Pantone "Color of the Year" is called "living coral." It's gorgeous! Check it out: https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/16-1546-TCX

4 Likes
LittleHomeMades
Community Member

I second the Living Coral

I see that color everywhere and get requests to use it in my designs too, that and Mint Green.  All these clean simple colors are what seem to be trending more.  I was surprised to see the Burnt Orange being listed as a major color trend.  Burlap certainly is trending in the Vintage style but I haven't seen anything Burnt Orange in my cateorgy.

I also see BALLOONS as a huge up and comer.  Balloon Archways, lit up Balloons, Balloons with confetti inside them. Balloons, Balloons, Balloons in all colors, especially with gold and silver!

1 Like
REupped
Community Member

As a full on trend like farmhouse style, I am not sure Southwest will rise to that level, but regionally it will never die....likewise Boho.  These are lifestyles.  Farmhouse style will die as a trend but not for those who truly live it.  So maximalist it coming forward, there are some who live it and have always done so.

Personally, I love southwest and boho AND NOT farmhouse style as it is too sterile.  But that is what makes it all so great...we are all different.  Some follow trends, but, to me, trends are to keep things fresh and everchanging, to inspire and reinvigorate, to bring back to life the old and make it new again using a fresh approach.  Nothing is really new under the sun.

As some Etsy elders say....find your niche and develop it, there is always a buyer out there.

Have a great day!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.