cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Browsing through the members list of our team and looking at all your lovely shops, I started noticing we are a very diverse group of shop owners. Some of us have been on Etsy for years, others are just starting off and have yet to make their first sale.

Experienced sellers, let's share our stories on making that first sale with new shop owners. We all know it's that one magical moment, just that one sale, we're all eagerly waiting for when just starting out on Etsy.

So let's share!

It doesn't matter whether you only had a couple of sales or hundreds: please share your 'first sale' experience so new shop owners can be inspired.

Here are some questions that could help share your story with us.

- What things did you try to make that first sale? Share your hustle!
- What effort do you think ultimately triggered it?
- How much time passed between opening your shop and making that sale?
- What lessons did you learn from making that first sale?
- If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?
- What is your best piece of advice for new shop owners?
- What do you think is the best path to follow in order to get that first sale?

I can't wait to hear about it!

- Deb

Re: How did you make your first sale?

What are the advantages to having two shops?  Is it the variety in goods offered. I was told I was to confusing, to many options. Nancy  Sharpneedlecreations.etsy.com

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
BooandJerry
Inspiration Seeker

I started back in 2017 creating jewellery and hardly ever made a single sale so before Christmas I decided to revamp my entire store, I researched and started to create hand poured scented soy candles. Plugged them all over pinterest, instagram and facebook and within the first hour of opening I had three sales.  Currently loving it and looking to expand even further this year :)

10 Likes

Cheers for doing the work BooandJerry!

3 Likes

What did you find were the most successful approaches to  plugging on social media? Did you pay for ads or set up a group / page/ use your own personal profile with our existing friends? It can get a bit repetitive just promoting products! 

0 Likes

My first customer was a friend of a friend! She left me the best review as well 💙 now we became friends too :)

7 Likes

Sheer Luck! LOL

0 Likes

I opened my shop a month ago and I have not sold anything yet but I am proud of myself having my own shop

17 Likes

You'll get there!

2 Likes

I opened 3 weeks now and have not had a sale yet but I feel so great with how many views and visits I get to my page! ^^ little wins for a big one

2 Likes

My first sale was a friend, who wanted to support me when I got started! :) Not that many sales to speak of, though...but friends have helped a lot, I have to say! :D

6 Likes

I just made my first sale about 2 weeks ago. I am not exactly sure how I got the sale, I live in Arkansas and the bow I sold was sent to Miami Florida. I was excited and rushed it out . She came back maybe 2 days ago and left me a 5 star review!! I have been gradually trying to improve, add more product, more pictures and better pictures. I link my Etsy page on my Facebook page and Instagram page.

9 Likes

That's awesome! I wish more people left reviews at all, especially 5 star ones. You're off to a good start. :)

3 Likes

Betreff: How did you make your first sale?

I think its a longer process until you sell more items. I opened my shop a month ago and selled one thing until now. I'm filling my shop with more items, improving photos, trying my best and hope to sell more items in the next month. One thing is most important for everyone of us:

Don't give up and be proud of your shops! Good luck to everyone!

10 Likes

Trying to have sales but nothing working for me.

I hope i can get some help gere

1 Like

Have you been promoting on social media? I have a group just for fashion shops that promote each other. You should check it out: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Fashion-Social/gp-p/30230

2 Likes

Hello, this is my first ever team post so I hope I’m following the parameters correctly but I too am having a difficult time stirring interest & getting sales & my shop’s been open awhile.

It’s partly me not really knowing how to approach features available for my shop, not really knowing how to promote my shop plus oodles of other details I’m not handling very well. I need some insight & guidance & hope to find that as well as support here.

i do better working with other like minded folks but I also work at a job so time to focus on my shop is sometimes hard....is there any hope for me!?

1 Like

Hi! I've been looking your shop and you have really nice jewelry. I think that you should work the SEO of every tittle, think how would a customer search for each item.

For example: 18k Rose Gold Ring, instead you could say Golden ring with dimonds and pink stone, High Quality Diamonds, Perfect anyversary gift...

Hope my advice works for you.

1 Like

I have not had any sales yet either but am noticing an increase in visitors, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time.

0 Likes

I am very new to Etsy and have made 2 sales so far. I guess I have to share how my first sale happened. I participated in a local Christmas fair and although I was selling there only Christmas related things I was wearing some of my handmade jewelry. So, a woman from our village saw it and was very interested. I gave her the link to my Etsy shop and she bought one of my pendants soon after New Year! So, even though, Etsy gives us the great opportunity to sell worldwide, never ignore your local events!

5 Likes

Very good advice, especially if you live in a rural community.

1 Like

Hey Everyone!  I love hearing all these stories and can't wait until I can post a sale story myself.  Sadly, no sales yet, but I will not give up, lol.  I'd greatly appreciate people taking a look at my store and giving me any advice.

Thanks for all the support and help!  I wish everyone much success.  We Can Do This!!

8 Likes

I had a look at your shop and it looks great. I can’t see anything wrong with it. Are you doing any advertising (ppc)?

0 Likes

My first sales on Etsy were when Etsy was very new. I simply listed my items, and they sold. My pics weren't great, my SEO was atrocious... but getting found on this young platform was MUCH easier then. I was so bummed when algorithm changes began, treasuries changed, and SEO became paramount. My sales began to steadily slip and I was terrified. Ultimately I had to expand beyond Etsy in order to infuse my business with new life. I also had to learn a lot about running a business - specifically a handmade business. Enter my business coach. I realized that I needed education, support, accountability, and community in order to grow into the brand I envisioned. Best decision ever. 

For a limited time, my personal handmade business coach (she's the number one handmade business educator worldwide) is offering a FREE Masterclass this on her "Product Sell Out Formula" so that you can learn how to create a product line that sells. Period.

The masterclass is all new and aired live last week - over 4k attended and  it was amazing! You can find it for a limited time here: https://bit.ly/2HdHJNC, but it will be gone soon - so catch it while you can. 

Learning how to create product lines has been a game changer for my business. As a Youtuber with over 3 million views, she also has additional free trainings and resources here: https://bit.ly/2VFxSDC 

1 Like

Hello. I just opened a store a month ago. No sales yet, but I really hope. I would be glad if you visit my store and give advice. Thank you!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/tableclothsnapkins

5 Likes

Wow, do you make those all by hand? They're beautiful. I would say that the backgrounds of your photos are a bit busy. You might think about making your main photo the items on a plain white background. Also your prices might be too low? I'm sure the quality is there but when people see prices that low they get suspicious.

Hope this helps!

If you need any more advice, I know someone who is an amazing business coach. I have been following her for years, she has a free training that she released here: https://bit.ly/2EhHz5d   It's full of really good information for people starting out.

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.