Browsing through the members list of our team and looking at all your lovely shops, I started noticing we are a very diverse group of shop owners. Some of us have been on Etsy for years, others are just starting off and have yet to make their first sale.

Experienced sellers, let's share our stories on making that first sale with new shop owners. We all know it's that one magical moment, just that one sale, we're all eagerly waiting for when just starting out on Etsy.

So let's share!

It doesn't matter whether you only had a couple of sales or hundreds: please share your 'first sale' experience so new shop owners can be inspired.

Here are some questions that could help share your story with us.

- What things did you try to make that first sale? Share your hustle!
- What effort do you think ultimately triggered it?
- How much time passed between opening your shop and making that sale?
- What lessons did you learn from making that first sale?
- If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?
- What is your best piece of advice for new shop owners?
- What do you think is the best path to follow in order to get that first sale?

I can't wait to hear about it!

- Deb
UnicornBirthday
Registered Member

Re: How did you make your first sale?

Any feedback on my shop would be deeply appreciated :) Thanks!

1 Like

Good luck dear, not easy but as long as you are generating traffic to your store it's good.

Now you just need to convert the traffic into sales. Not necessarily by cutting the price, but rather by improving the quality of your pictures maybe.

3 Likes

Hello 👋🏽 you can take a look at my store❤️❤️❤️

1 Like

I am not sure how my first customer picked up my store. :)

Opened for couple months, but heavily updating my shop and surfing in social media for a month also, then my first customer comes to me asking for custom order. After back forth over 60 messages, she was satisfied to place her order. 

2 Likes

Wow, after 60 messages...

How is it going now?

1 Like
GeminaeCo
Registered Member

Oh man I've been there. That's why I don't do custom work too often. There's no money in it. By the time you're done communicating with someone you've put in so much that there's no way you're getting compensated properly.

But if you choose that route I'd recommend simplifying the process. Give people less details to choose from. There have been studies done on this, when people have more options they get "decision paralysis". Give them a few & they can easily compare, then choose what's right for them. 

If you're interested in promoting your social media. I have a facebook group for that: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fashionsocialteam/

We're just getting started but already we have some active members. & it's closely moderated so you don't have to worry about people not liking, sharing or commenting on your posts.

0 Likes

Custom orders are not bad, as now most of my customers or potential customers are looking for custom orders, especially for engagement rings.

My lists now are just like an exhibit window, showing that I CAN produce what they are looking for. :)

Yeah, lots of message sometimes may be just turning into nothing, but I do not want to burn the bridge to any potential customer.

Also the more you communicate with them, the more you know how to lead the conversation, as some know exactly what they want, some do not, they need some ideas.

Just create a private list for my customer, waiting for her to place the order. :)

Anyone who has an interest for Moissanite rings, please take a look of my store, thanks. :)

0 Likes
Vaedder
Registered Member

I joined Etsy 2 and a half weeks ago, and haven't had a sale yet, of course. However, I didn't have any idea how long of a wait was "normal", so it's really nice to read all your answers! Thank you everyone, and thank you @profitpanda for asking this question! :)

1 Like

I have only had my etsy store set up for about a week, yet to make a sale, but I will be so happy and excited when I do! 

Wish me luck!! lots of posting on social media and these teams and discussions are great for newbies!! 

2 Likes
COCOBRIM
Registered Member

I got my first sale from promote listing after 1 week.

This’s my store : https://www.etsy.com/shop/COCOBRIM

1 Like

I opened shop in November, 2017 . I got my first order in the last of month. But I was happy because of That first order.  My first client gave me a good review with the pictures he used my product in a creative creation. 

Best of luck to all new shops. 

1 Like

I got my first and only sale two months ago, a month or so into the process. I believe it was actually off of Etsy Community that the customer found my shop! She left a five-star review a few days later and it contained very informative feedback. I am very thankful to have gotten a sale so early as I know it's not normal. :)

0 Likes
OmahBali
Registered Member

I just open my shop today. Super excited! I noticed it will takes a while until i make my first sales, wish me luck! Would be appreciated if you could have time to take a look at my shop, and give me any comment or feedback about my products or my shop. Thank you :) 

3 Likes
OmahBali
Registered Member

And today I just made my first sale! Superrrrrr excited :) 

1 Like

Hi Ladies, 

I am quite new to Etsy and I was wondering how many views per product on average do you get to make a sale? I am selling tshirts designed by myself, and I get some with 20 views and no sale. I'm curious if the designs don't fit the person looking or if it's the price..why they don't buy it, or maybe I just need more views per item to get a sale :)

0 Likes
PineNineteen
Community Member

I feel like things are a lot different now than when I started. There are more sellers doing the exact same thing as everyone else now. Because of that, making sales is harder on all sellers today. I listed my first item in February 2014 and made my first sale that same day. I didn't do anything special because I didn't really know what I was doing yet. I probably had less than five items listed at the time, but there weren't as many people doing what I do back then. It's definitely not that easy today, which is unfortunate.

0 Likes
TracysEstate
Registered Member

I agree. It is hard for the newbies. I have been on etsy since 2014 but off and on selling. I have decided to come back due to the fees are not so bad. I am hoping to get my name out there. I dont know about pinterest. I don't know how it works or anything. Is there anyone who can tell me what to do on pinterest? I don't know how to join groups on there or anything about that site. 

Thanks!

0 Likes

I still struggle. I started really a few months ago. When i had opened up shop i did nothing with it till 2 months ago. So i feel like a noobie as well. If anyone has advice for my store, please share! I feel like im working for nothing. I just rely on hope! lol

0 Likes
ArtCraftTR
Registered Member

Hello there
I opened my new shop at ETSY. I'm more new. For this, you can review my shop and give advice. The name of my shop is ArtCraftTR.

0 Likes
KalmarHome
Community Member

Hi everyone,

This thread is great and I appreciate each response.  I also opened my shop very recently and was beginning to really wonder whether Etsy is the right platform for my products.  I actually made my first (and second!) sales this week and hoping that the momentum continues....  Good luck to us all....   hoping the warmer weather brings more sales!

Thanks!

1 Like

I'd say etsy is a good fit for your product KalmarHome.

Great photos by the way! Having high quality and a variety of photos is probably the best way to convert those views and favorites into sales!

0 Likes
KalmarHome
Community Member

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
K2Woodcrafts
Registered Member

We just opened our shop two days ago and had our first sale within a couple of hours of opening. It was really just word of mouth (FB) and the mother of one of our friends decided to buy.  We learned how important networking and marketing can be. Right now all of our items are displayed as we initially took pictures of them, but we're going to need to stage our products to look more appealing. We have no advice because we're just starting out, but would love all the advice we can get to continue our momentum! Thank you!

0 Likes

Rivervalleyconcepts.etsy.com

I feel like i'm doing somthing wrong....Yes i am just starting on Etsy but i'm completly confused as to  how to sell successfully on Etsy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Thank you

0 Likes

this store is new for me - just opened it this week - so no sales, but i run (manage) another one. that one started slow but once it got going, sales were steady. that shop is for charity, to benefit animals, so we dont have trouble with sales and i dont worry about making them. We dont make much but each penny helps. its certainly not anything that would sustain a living or anything- but since i dont keep the $$, its ok ... now for this shop, since its new, not doing anything special like not buying ads, just networking. all the proceeds will also go to animals for this one. i do think the more social media you are on the easier it gets. i'm on Twitter, Pinterest, Tumbler, Instagram, Linked in and facebook. i have been selling on etsy in various shops for almost 10 years now and i notice when i make a sale, i get more, like a dominoe effect. When we had the old teams, it was SOO much better. i had WAAY WAAY WAY more sales. These teams are horrible. i hate the setup. in old teams there was a well defined nice long list. each post had the persons profile pic next to it and you didnt see the body of the post (like here) till you clicked into it. so you could see a nice organized list of about 15 posts in the team at once, and it was so so so so much easier to do. i'm not going to use teams much now because its just too hard, too cold, not inviting, too confusing, very impersonal, not much participation at all. Its really sad. I actually think this is my first posting in the new TEAMS setup. I dont understand how it even works. Also in the old ETSY there used to be something called TREASURIES and that was something many people could be part of. it was a curated page that showed like 16 pictures from items of different shops. one person of the page made the treasury and included 15 others items...it was a amazing way to make sales and it worked. unfortunately, ETSY got rid of everything benefitting sellers. I cant beleive i even opened a 2nd one but i'm remaining hopeful. If it doesnt work, i'll close and go to Shopify. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.