which is "better?"

In your opinion/experience, is it better/more profitable, to sell many low cost items or a few high cost items?

With my last show, i had many items in the $4 - $7 range, and a couple items above $20. one item specifically, I had 2 of the same item but at 2 price points. and people chose more from the cheaper bin. Also if it wasn't for selling a couple higher priced items, my show would not have been profitable at all.

thanks for the advice :)

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies

Re: which is "better?"

I'm probably not the advice you need, but for the record, virtually everything I have is less than $10. However, I do create 'bundles of items' that works to more so that I can encourage larger sales. Buy 1 for $8.50, or 2 for $15 etc.

To me, it is harder to part with money for items over $20. It is far easier to spend $10. I think a lot of folks think the same way. So having items in the lower price points means that you'll have more sales. Now, the flip side is that you have to sell more items to make the same money. You can see 1 item for $30 or 10 for $3 each, for example.

but whenever I have higher priced items, such as gift sets, they are slow to sell...so I"m sticking with the world I know.
0 Likes

thanks cari. I think part of my problem with selling my lower priced items is that my target market dont go to craft fairs often. (teens).
0 Likes

not as many, for sure, but their parents, aunts & other family DO.

so if you aren't getting their attention, put up some big signs that showcase your items as gifts for those 'onry' teens, etc.

JMO.
0 Likes

One strategy that I saw from a vendor who was selling lower priced items was that in addition to the standard labeling of items, he included ideas for gifts. For example, some beaded jewelry under $10 were labeled as "gift for teacher" or "gift for co-worker". I thought it was brilliant, and I'll try out this technique for my items under $20.

In my very limited craft show experience, I've seen both strategies work. However, as Cari mentioned, you do face different challenges when it comes to customer volume and your target market. Personally it is hard for me to price many of my jewelry items under $10, and most of my pieces are between $30 - $88. I have to select the right areas/shows to make sure I have a higher chance of my target audience showing up at these events. Out of the 2 shows that I did this year, I could have easily walked away empty handed if no one bought anything. Luckily, I had a handful of people willing to buy my items at the price I was charging, and many were also buying multiples (granted this is a very affluent area - #2 in the nation in terms of highest median income).
0 Likes

I think you need a few pricey pieces to post high and proud to lure people in to your booth. At least that is my strategy. Then I keep the rest of the price points mingled on my shelves.
0 Likes

I think you need a mixture but I will say I do far better at my shows because of my lower priced items. And if I only sold expensive items I would not have a lot of traffic and that would make for a VERY boring day. My cheaper items keep the sales coming and makes the time go by faster.

I don't know how some people can just sit all day and hope to make that one big sale to make their whole show worth it.

I sometimes want to get out of my jewelry because it's just a pain - but it's a real money maker for me. But sometimes I wonder if the jewelry wasn't there, would the people be more drawn to my other items? (which aren't that much more expensive either).

It seems that if people are going to spend their money on something expensive it needs to be fairly large in size otherwise it's not deemed worth it. i used to do wood signs and they weren't very big and I did really really well for a couple of years, until everyone started making larger and cheaper signs. Then i got pushed out. No one will bat an eye at spending $30-$40 on a very large decorative sign.
0 Likes

For me the mark up is so much higher on my small things that it works for people to want more of them. But the big stuff is so much more fun to make...... and it should be all about how much fun I'm having!!
0 Likes

The jewelry I make ranges from $8.00-$150.00. The higher end items take longer to make but the lower end jewelry take more individual attention to sell at the fairs. I prefer selling a variety of price ranges. The cheaper jewelry acts as "chum" to bring customers over and guarantee that I'll at least make the booth fee. The higher end jewelry feeds my soul and creativity and makes for a more profitable fair.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I don't sell anything over $15, but most customers buy multiples. I just finished my biggest show of the year, and it was fantastic! Some customers dump down an armload of items, and say "don't count it up yet, dear, I'm not finished looking!" Although I don't compare my products to dollar stores, it's the same strategy. I don't think anyone goes in a dollar store, and spends just a dollar!
0 Likes

I find that my more expensive items ($30-$45) are often the ones that grab people's attention initially, and make them come to look closer. Actual sales are most often my mid-to-low priced items though ($12-$20).

This sequence of events makes me feel that having some pricier items is important, as it's my more intricate or luxurious looking pieces that draw the eye- and when someone does end up buying one, of course that's great! But having a good selection of less pricey items is important, as really where I live anyway, there aren't many people who are willing to spend a lot on an impulse buy.
0 Likes

Yes I have noticed the remarks on the size of my items and how much they cost. Like my charms I sell some at $7 but they are only a half inch in size, but they are detailed and can take me anywhere from 15 to 30 mins to sculpt. people remark that its expensive for something so small. especially the older people/parents, kids love them but parents always tell the kids that its too expensive for something so small. maybe I need to do some more advertising about my processes.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think it's best to have a decent range of prices. Mine range from $3.50 up to $49 and I sell well at all price points.
0 Likes

I was writing out this whole thing about how I personally feel it's better to sell a few high cost items, but then started thinking about it and got really confused haha!

I sell clothing and accessories at high prices ($40 to $250).
A friend of mine sells lotions, soaps and such at a much lower cost ($4 - $20).
Yet, both of us end up making about the same amount at every show we attend together.

So now I don't know how to answer your question. Except perhaps this; It never hurts to try new things. :)
0 Likes

And what is your goal. Highest gross possible. Highest net possible. Dollars per hour for time crafting. Pride in a beautiful booth. Nuture your creativity. Create a product that makes the world a better place? All excellent goals.
0 Likes

Tania - Thank you for asking this questions!

I too am new to craft, art, and flea markets. I have two different types of items I sell, though they are unified in the artistic style. I have been playing around with price points and display ideas as well as event locations trying to find what works best. It is definitely an ongoing learning process, but one I thoroughly enjoy.

Thank you to everyone who has provided constructive feedback and personal experience! Happy Holiday Shopping Season to everyone!
0 Likes

At the moment, I don't sell anything less than $25 and I sell pretty good at shows. Not every show is right for my items though. Also, I sell more purses at shows than on Etsy but sell more towels on Etsy than shows. Go figure!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I sell mosaic belt buckles for about $80 each and (optional) leather belt straps for $30 to go with those. I noticed that having just the one product was holding me back for two reasons. 1. A lot of people just don't wear belts and 2. A lot of people don't want to spend $110 on one item - particularly if it's for a gift.
I started offering a small range of mosaic pendants and earrings too.
Initially I just had one rack, with about 40 necklaces at about $20 each - amazingly these just flew off the rack and were all gone in about 3 hours. Now I take at least $80 necklaces to each show, and while I still make the lion's share of my money on the belts and buckles, the extra from the pendants is great.
0 Likes

Selling small 'expensive' items is HARD. Because I know I fall into that mindset of wanting to get the most bang for my buck like most customers.

And I also got pushed out of my original product (wood signs) because mine were smaller but used a more time consuming process to make so I got pushed out by the larger and cheaper signs that probably took someone's husband 30 seconds to make.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It's always a good idea to have a mix of price points. In marketing, there have been studies that show that approximately 25% or so of the people prefer buying more expensive items, the deluxe versions, the upgraded version, etc. Look at car manufacturers. They have a mix of available models for every car they make. You can get the base model, a mid level model, a luxury model with all the bells & whistles, etc. Not everyone is poor, the more affluent like to spend more so you need to have some higher priced items for that demographic.

That being said, our most expensive individual item currently is $12. BUT, what we do to make higher price points is to put together gift sets of a bar of soap, jar of sugar scrub, jar of body butter, gift bag and a shower poofie thing. That satisfies the people that want to spend more and/or get something they can give as a gift. Our most expensive gift bag currently is $26, so it's still not going to break the bank for most people.

We also do a "buy 4 get 1 free" show special at every show. This also bumps up the total price but the customer gets a bit of a deal for buying in more volume.

So, you don't necessarily have to have higher priced individual items. You can just take some of your lower priced items, put them together in a sensible gift set, and have a higher priced item made up of your lower priced products. You can also do a show special if you'd like, to encourage people to buy more than 1.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.