travel trailer organization

Hi all!

My festival season is going to start beginning of August, and in between shows I like to leave my items (mainly baby/children's clothing) hanging so they won't crinkle. In the house I am running out of space, so I don't want to go through another season with clothes racks scattered all over the place. I have an enclosed cargo trailer for my show equipment and all the bins, but it is always only half-filled, if at all. The top half of it is empty space I thought I could use to store all the items on hangers instead of bringing them back into the house. It should be easy enough to attach 2 long rods along either side of the trailer, leaving room in the middle to walk. Now, my question is this, how do you keep the hangers from falling off when the vehicle is moving and turning and breaking etc.? I have searched youtube and pinterest, but only found ideas to keep clothes from sliding off the hangers. Anybody got an idea, or does something similar?

Thanks!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
21 Replies
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Re: travel trailer organization

How about running a strip of duct tape along the top of the rod - running right over the top of the hangers?
0 Likes

Thanks, Carol! If I understand you right, that would mean the hangers are attached permanently? I need to be able to take the items off with the hangers, so I need something easily removable.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

The hangers wouldn't be attached permanently. Instead of a long strip of duct tape, then just use a small piece on top of each hanger hook to hold it in place while you're driving. You can peel the piece of tape off to remove the hanger with the item on it, when you need it.
0 Likes

What about those hangers that you get in hotels. They have a metal or plastic attachment which is permanently fixed to the rail and you simply pop the ball end of the hanger in the slot. Sort of like these https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/05/ask-lh-how-can-i-make-anti-theft-coat-hangers-more-useful/
0 Likes
BlueTurtleCrafts
Conversation Maker

You could use Velcro? - run a line of one side down the top of the rail and then once you have your clothes hangers where you want them run the other side over top, pushing it in between the hangers to stick them into place.

I'm pretty sure you can get it by the yard and I'm sure I've seen just the hook side and just the loop side available. Then you could get the sticky back type for the rail side and regular for the top. You'd probably need more for the top since it will be going over the hangers.
0 Likes

I would tie everything together, maybe just clump a dozen or so hangers together, tie them tight at the top, tie off on the bar. Keep repeating until you are all the way through.

Also, when I used to do shows with my ex and his screenprinted clothing we would slip big old black hefty bags up over everything and tie the hangers together with the bag drawstrings. Made lifting and moving everything easier.
0 Likes

I like katies suggestion about the hefty garbage bags. it would keep them protected as well as keep them bunched together. then just put a piece of tape or tie the hangers to the rod.
0 Likes

Thanks to all! I was thinking about somehow covering the items anyway. My trailer is generally waterproof, but there is one little screw hole somewhere in the roof that leaks a little bit in very heavy rains. What Jerry and Ann linked to would be great, but I already have hundreds of white plastic clothes hangers, and I want to make do with what I have, whenever possible. I think I like the tape or velcro idea! We're going to get the rods and brackets this week, and once they're mounted I'll fiddle with it to see how it works.
0 Likes

Would it help to use chain of some sort instead of a smooth rod? I'm envisioning something with links large enough that you could hang the clothes hanger through it. Then the clothes wouldn't shift and bunch up. The downside would be that you couldn't scoop up a big bunch of them to remove - you'd have to remove them one by one, I'd think. Just a thought. :)
0 Likes

The chain idea is great! It would have to be closely spaced links, though, otherwise I would lose too much room. When we go to Home Depot, I'll look at what they have. Thanks, Linda!
0 Likes
BeachFleaMarket
Conversation Maker

Are you looking for a way to have a clothes rack that won't fall apart while the trailer is moving, plus keep the hangers from clumping together, right
Use a wooden dowel for the rod that way you can attach it to the trailer anyway you want by attaching to the wood. S hook and eye pin.
Attach the velco to the top of the dowel so the hanger are not as wiggly.
They also make moving boxes that accomodate a hanging rod. You can make them yourself and stack them.
0 Likes

I don't want to be the person who asks for advice and never gets back to their own thread. Putting clothing items in the trailer didn't work out. Instead, I closed off a part of our back porch and put all my clothing racks in there. That way I have the stuff out of the house and before a show I put everything in the bins, load the bins and the racks, and back. Good enough for now! Thanks!
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I'm very glad that you found a good solution! Good luck at your shows!
0 Likes

Thanks, you too!

Carol, a friend of mine used to make similar items you make, kitchen towels etc. She also made these microwave bowl cozies, which for the couple of years she did shows with me sold really well. Not sure whether that was a fad that's over by now, but every time I see you in the forums I wonder whether those wouldn't be a nice complementary item for you. I've been hesitant to mention this, because some people would consider this unsolicited advice. Please don't take it that way!
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

TWOamDESIGNs OMG! Of course I wouldn't take it badly! Thank you so much for the kind thought! I have seen them before. I might consider making some to match my other kitchen things. I started the matching potholders, because customers were asking for them. I'm up to my ears in work right now with the towels, but I will certainly look into it. Thanks again!
I'm glad you found a solution for storing your work. I downsized to an apartment and I had to rent a 10 x 10 storage for all of my show stuff and work!
0 Likes

Happy to hear you took it as intended!

You probably have a similar storage issue as I. Sewing all year for a couple of months of shows, you end up with a ton of inventory when the season starts. I've long been dreaming of a studio with big windows for my small business, but so far the reasonable voice always takes over and tries to make do with what I have. Maybe one day ...

Have a great season!
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

TWOamDESIGNs My dream is for a long wall of shelving for all of my supplies. It would be SO nice to just walk over and get what I need, instead of taking the top four boxes off the pile first!
My storage unit is packed tight right now, with over 2000 towels alone! In January, I'll have a ton of empty containers and lots of room - then start all over again!
I love it though.
0 Likes

Well, we can always dream, right? My studio may never happen, and neither may your wall of shelving. But either way, we'll be fine!
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

TWOamDESIGNs I'm trying out your suggestion for the microwave bowls. There are so many of them on etsy already, that I'm going to sell them in sets of a microwave bowl with a matching towel. That just makes my offering a little different. I'll see how that works out. If not, there are always my shows in the fall! Thanks for the suggestion!
0 Likes

I think a matching towel and bowl cozy would make a great gift item! I'll be curious to hear how it all went once your season is over. Not sure how long they've been around, but when my friend sold them (2 - 3 years ago) most people who came in our tent had never seen them before. Happy sewing!
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Thanks! I just had a plexiglas template made, so that makes cutting them out much easier! I'll give it a try, anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :). They'll always sell at my shows, if not here. Have a great week!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.