Would you do this?

The woman who has come to my home every week for 7 years to teach my girls piano wants to have a fundraiser for Puerto Rico. She is asking a dozen people to set up craft tables for an hour after the next recital. The table fee will be a donation. I'm thinking of putting 1 or 2 pieces out front with a tag that the proceeds from those will be a donation. Probably a zero profit day for me. I won't be dragging out my whole set up. Trying to see this as, "I would do anything else this woman asked for 3 hours, why not this?"

I won't mark my pieces down, so my work is not devalued for my big shows the following weekend.

Other than my time, do you see a downside? Would you do this?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: Would you do this?

I don't see a downside if you don't mind the table fee. If you'd willingly give the money, then you should.

However, she'll be doing the donating, so you'll not get a tax credit, if that's an issue for you.

I'd do more of an informational, as you mentioned. A few pieces. Maybe a book of photos. And lots of cards along with your show schedule to hand out. Maybe a discount code to use in your Etsy shop, too.

My only issue with it, though, is what about Texas & Florida and everyone else? I get that Puerto Rico has been hit very hard, but lots of people need help. I'd be happier with a hurricane donation to the Red Cross, but that's just me.
0 Likes

She has friends and such in Puerto Rico and she feels they need the extra attention. SHe did have all the kids donate school supplies to fill backpacks for Texas. That week for each supply you donated you were excused from 5 minutes of practice via a voucher she gave them to be used at will. I made my kids earn money and spend it at target. I also offered a reward for anyone still holding their voucher at the end of the year. I am rotten, just ask the teenagers at my house.

0 Likes

I think it's a great idea and so nice of you to consider the effort. The only downside that I see (and you already mentioned this) would be the time that you would have forfeited to do this fundraiser vs. doing something else like working on your shop to make a new product. I have been watching the news on Puerto Rico, and it's crazy how they haven't had electricity for almost a week. They're in a really desperate situation with hospitals running out of generators and the cities running out of fuel.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

I'm not American, but I've gotten the impression from what I've read and seen on tv than Puerto Rico is not equal to a US state. Puerto Rico is represented in the United States Congress by a NONvoting delegate. Therefore I expect that they will not be receiving the level of help from the US government that US states will. Puerto Rico was already in a debt crisis, there were areas that have not been getting regular electrical power BEFORE the hurricane.

Maybe you could tell her that you would be happy to provide a financial donation - direct to her charity of choice, instead of your time setting up a temporary craft booth.
0 Likes

Know like I do that when you have taken lessons like this for this length of time you become Family to a large degree. I would say go for it. You did not say what the cost of the table was, but all in all I would say that this is not going to be a huge donation when all is said and done.

Something that I would do and try to get others to take part in as well is to have one item that was placed (front and center) on my table . A nice piece that you (jack) the price on. Lets say a nice $50 item and you either put $200 on it with all going to the relief. Or you do it as a silent Auction to allow folks to place bids. This way you get a tax write off and others get to give more if they wish and still get something for their efforts. And the pot going to the relief is bigger and better.

Just my thoughts! Let us know how it goes.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.