Which ins company? Anyone actually file a claim?

Hey there, I've only been up and running for a few months, and I'm starting to do a few fairs/festivals and need liability insurance. I've heard of people saying they love ACT, HandmadeInsurance, and a couple others. I asked my regular insurance agent to give me a quote, and it seemed reasonable-ish, except she's saying I will need to pay $25 every time I get a certificate, and mentioned something about having to temporarily put the event organizer on the policy.

So my question is, is that really overkill? If you have "event insurance" that you like, have you ever actually had to file a claim? And what of this business of putting the event organizer on the policy???

Thanks!
Mari
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
14 Replies
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Re: Which ins company? Anyone actually file a claim?

Mari. I'm in Canada, so I use PAL Insurance. Here, you can get a special event permit, for a particular show. You do have to say the dates of the show, whether there will be alcohol there, and who the organizer is - why is that part a problem?
If you are planning on doing a lot of shows in a year, it's usually cheaper to get a yearly policy that covers all of the shows you will be doing.
Mine was around $200.
0 Likes

Thanks! The annual premium was a little over $400 from my current ins company, plus $25 every certificate I need. Now, I know it covers more than probably the per-event minimum (it covers my materials, equipment, and inventory at home, too). The agent said that every time I have a certificate made up with the organizer's name, we're adding that organization to the policy; she said I'd have to go through and take them off every so often. Just seemed expensive and klunky.
0 Likes

Oaurs is thru Erie and its 205 a year and 25 per change. Well worth it after the disasters I saw this weekend with people losing thousands of dollars from the storm that hit.
0 Likes

Thanks Melissa! Mine's actually through Erie, too. I just feel like there was way more than basic event liability worked into the quote. Maybe not a bad thing, but still...
0 Likes

We have the annual policy from ACT, it is $265. It's not "premise specific", so we don't have to pay extra per show. I know some promoters require that they be put on the policy, but we haven't had that come up. We have only had to send in proof of insurance, which we just get by printing a certificate on the ACT website. They cover you all year which is important if you sell privately in addition to shows. The $39 per event fee would only be a good option if you only do a few shows a year.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We use Handmade Artisans Insurance. We currently have a $1M policy for $285 per year and you can get a $2M policy for $385 per year. We checked out ACT but we make handcrafted soaps & skin care and soaps/lotions/cosmetics are on the list of crafts they won't cover, but our biz is OK with Handmade Insurance.

That's something that I think a lot of people might overlook. When checking out these insurance companies, you also need to check out which crafts they will cover, and which ones they won't. Also, check out which events they will cover and which ones they won't.

Insurance certificates are no problem with Handmade Insurance. I can go online to their website, add anyone I need to add, and print out a certificate for them. That comes in handy when we get one of Cindy's sisters to help us out at a large show. I can print additional insurance certificates any time I want, no additional charge.
0 Likes

Have any of you had to file a claim? It's good to hear how simple companies make it the 99% of the time you're fine, but are they as good/efficient when you need to use it?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Some threads are meant to be searched! Thank you! I just got a bill from RLI Insurance for $385, so ACT saved me $120.

0 Likes

This is news to me. I have never heard of having to have insurance to do a craft show. Am i reading this right?
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Jodi. Some craft shows demand that you have liability insurance at a craft show. You even have to write the policy # on your application, and they can demand to see the policy! Small school shows usually don't bother, though. Where I am, the large, juried shows have their own liability insurance. It's up to the vendor whether they want their own, or not.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

And, even though a promoter might not require insurance, it's still a good idea to have it, at least for us. We do some outdoor shows with our canopy and a sudden gust of wind can send tents flying.

I saw a tent fly once and almost hit the guy in another tent. He could have been impaled. The leg of the tent ripped a hole in the other guys tent. So, who do you think is responsible for that and for replacing the ripped tent? Or, if somebody slips and falls in your tent or booth?

Better safe than sorry.
0 Likes

Some of this response will apply to your question and other sections will not. Please pick out the bits and pieces that will help you with your specific situation and ignore the rest. Keep in mind that there are no right or wrong answers…those who answer here are offering their opinion or sharing how they handle this situation.

AARP (through The Hartford Insurance)
http://advantages.aarp.org/en/financial-services-insurance/business-insurance/insurance-options/busi...

ACT Insurance Program (we use this company)
Great American Insurance Company
Veracity Insurance Solutions
301 East Fourth Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Phone: 513.369.5000
www.greatamericaninsurance.com

Bomba Insurance
PO Box 429
Vista, CA 92085
Phone: 760.724.8816
www.bombainsurance.com/

Handmade Artisan Insurance
6860 West Snowville Road
Suite 110
Brecksville, OH 44141
Phone: 440.746.1700
www.handmadeinsurance.com/Home

Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild (will insure candles)
178 Elm Street
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Phone: 518.306.6934
www.soapguild.org/insurance/compare.php

Indie Business Network (need to be a member of the organization, will insure candles)
http://www.indiebusinessnetwork.com/product-liability-insurance/

K&K Insurance
P.O. Box 2338
Fort Wayne, IN 46801-2338
Phone: 800.328.2317
www.kandkinsurance.com/sites/Events/Pages/Concessionaires-Exhibitors-Vendors.aspx

Liberty Mutual

Lindbergh
10000 Midlantic Dr., Suite 400W
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
Phone: 844.249.2684
https://insuremyhomebiz.com/what-is-home-business-insurance/home-business-insurance-policy-details/

Matin Insurance Services (MIS) (they will insure children’s clothing as well as other things)
6404 Wilshire Boulevard 1100
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Phone: 877.611.4647
www.mis-insurance.com/liability-insurance/

RLI Indemnity Company
9025 North Lindbergh Drive
Peoria, IL 61616
Phone: 309.692.1000
www.rlicorp.com

State Farm

The Hartford (they will insure children’s clothing as well as other things)

Veracity Insurance
260 South 2500 West, Suite 303
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062
Phone: 866.395.1308
www.veracityinsurance.com

Zinc Insurance
3505 E Royalton Rd
Broadview Heights, Ohio 44147
Phone: 440.526.2661
www.zincinsurance.com
chris@zincinsurance.com

UK and Republic of Ireland

www.craftinsurance.co.uk
www.Insurancechoice.co.uk
www.sjlins.co.uk
a-n network The Artists Information Company

Homeowner policies may or may not allow home-based business or limit the types of allowed businesses. In that case, having a business (or excluded business) in your home might void your coverage.
https://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/18015302/

I just read that AAA offers business insurance as well.

Some of the above companies offer only liability – if someone gets hurt in your art & craft show booth. Others will cover loss of your inventory. Others will cover you for online sales and/or shows. You will need to reach out to each company to determine which suits your needs.

Etsy does not require sellers to have insurance; however, some show promoters do require artists/crafters to have insurance. Purchasing a policy for a year is often less expensive than ordering per show.

0 Likes

Almost every show, no matter how small, requires you to sign that you agree not to hold them (the promoters/organizers) or the venue responsible for any loss, accident, etc. Which leaves you responsible.

That is one of the reasons why we have annual coverage, even though many of our shows don't ask for proof of insurance. The other is that the rider for our business on our homeowners policy has a $5,000 cap on our loss of product and equipment on the road.
0 Likes

since you're not making anything that could be ingested or applied (clothing is clothing, after all) you may be able to get a rider on your home/renters insurance.

I use ZINC which is the new name for Brower. But Brower does B&B and candles and such, and it isn't cheap. I pay over $450 a year for it.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.