What new thing are you trying in 2019 to improve your craft show game?

I haven't posted in a while, mostly out of extreme frustration with the new Team and Forum redesign. But I value this team very much, and I want to keep the discussions going so that we can continue to help each other and share our collective knowledge. Now that show planning is upon us for this year's summer, fall, and holiday shows, what new things are you all doing to improve your craft show game? 

I am experimenting with a new color scheme and bringing in new display pieces that are lighter in color. I think that this will help my jewelry pop out better. I am also considering getting a wooden sign as I am tired of getting my vinyl banners getting all crinkled up and blowing easily with gusts of wind. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: What new thing are you trying in 2019 to improve your craft show game?

Working on getting some products "off the table" I have so many sizes of heat pads I've run out of table space. I need my sleep masks and headbands displayed differently. I'm also getting a 10x20 space for my best holiday show. A little nervous about the added investment because I also need 2 more tables/tablecloths. But I know the display will look better. I can space out the heat pad sizes and improve the worst sellers. My husband is a little annoyed with the extra inventory he will have to carry though.

1 Like
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I have always had a walk in 10 x 10 booth at my largest show.  It always got too crowded.  A few years ago, two women nearly got into a fight, over one bumping into the other.  Since then, I've had a 10 x 15 foot booth!  I had to purchase more gridwall, more tables, make more tablecloths, etc.  Since I've had the larger booth, I've made MORE MONEY than I had ever made before, so please don't be concerned about the investment.   If my experience is anything to go by, your sales will more than make up for the extra table costs!  Good luck!

2 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

@SplendidCargo  I have Vinyl banners (narrow and long), a wide vinyl banner sign with grommets.AND a wooden sign, AND a corrugated plastic sign. Each one has it's own challenge.

-The wood sign I only use indoors because I'm worried about it falling and either hitting someone on the head or getting more damaged.

-The vinyl banners - all of my narrow ones, and a wide one that I use only for Viking events all have rod pockets at the top and bottom.  So I put dowels in the pockets, and that helps weight them down, so they don't blow around much.  There is also a small hole drilled on the ends of each dowel.  Hooks go in the top holes, to hang the banners either on a tent frame, or pipe-and-drape.  If I'm outdoors and it's windy, then I use fishing line to run across from one of the tent frame legs through the holes in the bottom dowels....it REALLY WORKS, usually I have 2-3 narrow banners to display across the back of my tent .  Depending on the weather, sometimes there's a tarp behind them, sometimes it's totally open.

- Wide Vinyl banner has grommets in the corners, but I also attached slats of wood across the back, so the banner won't curl if I am unable to use bungees to get a tight "pull", dependng on where and what type of event I'm using the sign.

- Corrugated plastic - The one I've had for a long time, and used mainly outdoors because I prefer my wood & metal sign.

The writing on it is a cut vinyl. It has grommets in the corners, and has warped over the years, and is no longer flat, so a pain.

0 Likes

Sorry for the long delay in responding @TigersandDragons - those are very good points, and it made me re-think the wood sign. I didn't end up getting one. Thank you for the great advice on weighing down banners - I did end up sticking with my reliable, old vinyl banner. It still works and people can see my store name pretty well.

0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Started working on a new display and colour scheme last year.  Managed to finally find most of the fabrics, though I would still like some better curtains, and I don't have enough curtains for full 10x10 booth, unless I let some show curtains show through.  Most shows have black or white curtains so that still works for me.

But there's still work to do on the display. It's hard to configure what I want.  Honestly my old display works great, but it's old, people are tired of seeing it. 

Social media definitely needs work. 

Was planning on an entirely new series of jewellery in Titanium, but that's on the backburner right now.  An acquaintance passed away, and I was supposed to be able to buy some of his tools and equipment. I was able to buy some things, but not the equipment I wanted most, someone else was given it (for free, for being helpful).  Sad thing is I know it's going to just sit and gather dust. Hoping that when I next see them, they will be willing to sell it.

0 Likes

I need to feel comfortable with social media. I learned how to program computers with punch cards (yep, I a bit old) and while I can use my phone, it is just not second nature to think 'oh yeah I need to take a picture of this and post to my social media'.

I'm from the era where you keep business business and personal stuff out of it.

so I'd like to learn how/feel more comfortable with that.

0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Yeah I'm in a similar boat, I only got  smart phone last summer and specifically for the purpose of processing cards.  Otherwise I rarely use it.  I have to put specific time aside for any social media, and my old email customer list still seems to work best to get my fans to come out to buy.

My best friend complains about how much time she spends answering emails, texts, landline calls, Instagram & Facebook DMs from her customers (and friends).  She's a super social person, but laments how much time it takes from studio time...I've suggested that she streamline, to direct people to contact her through only a few channels.

0 Likes
BlueTurtleCrafts
Conversation Maker

I'm actually looking forward to NOT changing anything in my setup this year. Lol.

I swear I've changed so much every time (I only do a few Christmas shows - or one show multiple times) i just want it to leave it alone for once :)

I do really need to get a sign of some kind though.  I have a couple cute banners I've made but my problem is that I'm not generally on a wall where I can hang anything. I have to figure out something free standing or that I can connect to my display.

Social media is the bane of my existance - I just can't make myself do it. I know I should....

0 Likes

I'm continuing to find new shows. For about 12 years (until about 5 years ago), I did 2 antique shows each year ... with my folk art ... and a holiday show that was smaller but similar (mostly handmade folk art with just a few antique dealers) in the same area. Also 1 Fall show with a friend. The antique show changed managment a couple of times and eventually ceased to exist and the holiday show ended at about the same time too. All good things come to an eventual end ... 

This year I've got 3 Spring shows (1 sucked, 1 was very good, and there's 1 more on May 19th which I've done a few times and it should be good. After that, I'm not sure ... there's a weekly flea market I want to check out; don't know that it would be worth doing, but it's in a town that's known for antiques, so maybe (since my things fit in sooo well with antiques)! They do a LOT of promoting on FB, not sure where else. There's a small show in Davis that I've thought about trying, but I'm not at all sure that's my target market. I could focus on smaller less expensive things for it. I like that it's outdoors but under roof (a picnic shelter in a park). Most vendors appear to be hobbyists with card table displays ... so if I do my usual display with height, etc., it might attract the right shoppers! 

I'll be doing the aforementioned Fall show again. I share a booth with a friend so don't have to worry about filling a booth by myself (we have a double booth there though!). And the holiday show I asked about in a separate post. I'm also thinking about jurying for a holiday show in Davis that I've been to a few times. A 4x8 booth (space!) is $125. I can make a small version of my display fit into a 3x8 space, just can't display everything. This show is well-attended and I've checked it out a few times. There's never been anything like mine there. I was waitlisted for it several years ago and they contacted me 3 days before the show, but I didn't have enough inventory to make the booth fee worth it. 

0 Likes

I noticed last year that when customers are in my booth more people want to come in. But there isn't room so they walk away. It happened so many times! A booth across from us 10x20 had space for browsing. The husband told us he would leave his wife in the booth so customers would be forced to wait. And it worked for them!

I am giving up an outdoor fall show. There isn't enough of my customer base. I wasn't a fan of our spot and they don't change it. Plus October isn't the best time to be standing outside for two days.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.