What are the best months to do craft shows?

Sorry this is such a basic question. I just got bitten by the bug to do craft shows a couple days ago and just decided to use the next 6 months or so to gather info, visit craft shows (with a vendors eye rather than just shopping), create a booth, create more inventory, and target just a couple of craft fairs in 2017/2018 to try this out.

I'm seeing that the craft shows around us are held a couple in spring, a couple in summer, more in late Sept, even more in Oct, and then Nov/Dec is the heart of it (holiday shopping clearly).

I already know I don't want to do any outdoor fairs so I'm focusing on indoor and am thinking that Nov/Dec are the most worthwhile times to do -- but what do you all think?

If you could only pick one time period to do fairs, when would it be?

TIA
Nicole

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
15 Replies

Re: What are the best months to do craft shows?

only in fall. Around here, the spring shows (at their very best) pull in about 1/3 to 1/2 of the traffic of a fall show. So revenue is likewise down significantly.

I only do 5-7 shows in fall, too. I've weeded out the worst over the years and kept the best. but what is good for one vendor may be horror for another, so you do have to do them.

I've written about my views on shows before, numerous times (just google my prior posts) so I won't do that here, but one thing to understand is that if ANY show is looking for vendors within a few months of having that show, probably stay away from it.

Why? Well, a great show has no problem filling spaces (in fact, some have waiting lists) but a bad show is always disappointing their vendors (if not worse) and people don't return. So they're the ones always promoting their shows.

I've had 4 emails this week from show organizers who have shows within the next 2 weeks and are desperate to fill spaces. Ummm...no.

One show I even told them why (as I have done that show) and told them exactly what to do to fix their issues. Of course, they won't. And next year, they'll be pinging me again to do the event.

good luck.
2 Likes

Super helpful! Thank you Cari! I will search for your posts on this too.
0 Likes

Nov/Dec definitely. The rest of the year I'd say it depends on the show, if you are reaching your market, etc. I definitely stack up the holiday shows but earlier in the year my schedule is much more sparse.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It also depends on where you are... here in Texas there is no real 'good' season as they are all mostly good from September through April... but, we have a lot of snow birds that come here and they like to shop.. summers we basically die as it's just to hot to go out shopping...
0 Likes

I'm in Fort Worth, but Texas is so large that we have climate differences! LOL.

here, summer's are still a beast, which is one of the reasons why outside shows are not happening for me. But, also people hibernate inside and so, shopping isn't on their mind.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Everything Cari said. When I'm invited to a show a few weeks before it takes place, my warning bells go off immediately! All of the fall/Christmas shows that I do are booked by June at the latest, and at least a deposit paid. The only exception is if a vendor cancels at the last minute on a show I had my eye on. That can sometimes happen.
You're smart to walk the shows before you decide, rather than mail out your money indiscriminately. Many people, when just starting, get so excited about just being invited, that they send out their money without checking out the show first year - then they're sorry after! You want to keep your hard earned money to pay for the shows that are worthwhile! Don't just watch for crowds - watch for crowds carrying purchases!! If it's a show that just gives people somewhere to go to kill time, that's no good either. When a small admission is charged, that often helps avoid that, and you are more likely to get people who are seriously interested in handcrafted items.
Welcome to the craft show world! I wish you every success! --and to answer your original question, I do one spring show and seven fall/Christmas shows, so that pretty well says it all!
1 Like
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

It can depend on WHAT you sell, and your area. I know several vendors who sell better at summer and spring events because the goods they make cater to that time of year. Or they are in a touristy area, so summer events bring high traffic.

But generally the time when people are doing the most spending, because of Christmas shopping ,is November and early December.

OP, when I look at your items, I think how these might be a great fit for a Garden or Spring show. Just be sure to research first to see if there are worthwhile shows in your area, before booking.
0 Likes

Speaking very generally, people buy more in October, November and December.

When you visit shows, ask sellers if they've done the show before. If a show has been around for years and has a large percentage of first-timers, that's a huge red flag .
0 Likes

So smart to check out the shows! I looked at your items before I answered, lovely stuff. I think it would be very suitable for gifts, so the fall/holiday shows would probably be the best for you.

We have a summer tourist season here, so summer shows here are better, it depends on the area. But they are all outside so weather is always a factor.
0 Likes

November for me. I do one show at the end of October (which is this Saturday) and I don't do too bad for a small church show but I think once November hits people are definitely in the gift buying mood.

A couple years ago I tried a larger show at the end of October - very similar to my super successful large show near home that is the first weekend in November and the one in October was TERRIBLE for me.
0 Likes

and I do well at every fall show. Then again, people (hopefully) always need soap & such.
0 Likes

Cari, I work with college students, I can assure you they do not all have enough soap. Please come to campus!
0 Likes

LOL my college age daughter sure gets bars whenever I see her!

more than I assume she uses, so I'm pretty confident that a few of her friends are also soap rich...
0 Likes

Depends on the area and your product. For me, summer is the WORST time because I live in Phoenix, so it's hot, and during monsoon season it's hot and it's muggy. Nobody wants to go out in that mess, including me. xD

Fall shows and holiday shows have been the best for me, and anime conventions are good no matter what time of the year it is(I sell Japanese Street Fashion-inspired stuff). Spring, not so much, mainly because there are so many events that happen on spring weekends that they all conflict with each other, and there's just too much competition for foot traffic.
0 Likes

Summer is best in my area. Lots of tourists & our local Saturday market runs from April to October.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.