What Items would YOU look for at Christmas?

So I'm about to start making inventory for my very first show (yay!) that will be a CHRISTMAS show.

I make pottery, and I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of items people are prone to look for at this time. So, what would you be looking for? Plain coffee mugs? Mugs that are geared towards being gifts (ie - Mom/Dad mugs)? Christmas wares such as ceramic gingerbread homes or platters? Whimsical items like piggy banks, fairy homes? And ornaments, of course.

What do you think would be some best sellers at this time? And what price range would you be looking for? I plan to have a wide range from a few bucks to some up around $50 or more (but not that much in that range).

Thank you!!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What Items would YOU look for at Christmas?

Honestly probably ornaments. They're good for Christmas, obviously, but the right kind of ornaments can be left out year round. We have 3 that we have bought at past Christmases that have just become part of our regular decor. One was from a museum shop and cost around $30, one was made from a plastic toy and cost $7, and one was hand-painted and cost around $25. Personalized things tend to do very well so ornaments with names or titles (grandma, new mom, baby's first christmas, world's best nurse, dancer, fireman, etc, that kinda thing) can sell well to the right person, especially for those looking for gifts.

Although I'm kind of excited over the prospect of buying a clay gingerbread house. Maybe one I could put a votive candle in....Hm, I'll have to check out your store a little more especially as Christmas approaches. :) Hope this helps and best of luck!
0 Likes

I would look at a fairy house for my sister.
0 Likes
AbbyTealDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Definitely gifts. You are on the right track with what you are thinking. I love the mug idea and maybe some little "jewelry" dishes to put rings and such in at night. I have one on my bedside table that I have used for years. Ornaments are a great idea too.
0 Likes
RedThreadBows
Inspiration Seeker

You may want to market some items as teacher gifts too. Those do well for me in my fall shows. People are always looking for reasonably priced teacher gifts, especially for elementary teachers.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Last year i bought these wonderful mugs on etsy that were "milk & cookie mugs". I got a couple Cookie Monster ones, a Mario and a Zombie and everyone loved them. They were a cute gift, that was made personal to the recipient's personality. So maybe something like those...?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jessica, it's hard to predict what items will do well, especially at a first show. A lot depends on the market, demographics & time of year of the show. We've done shows in locations where some varieties of our soaps sell out. Then we do another show in another town & those soaps might not sell as well.

IMHO, the best advice I could give you would be to try to take as many different varieties as possible & let the market tell you what's popular in that specific market. Take some plain mugs, some people like those. Take some mugs that are geared towards being gifts, since it will be close to Christmas. Basically, figure out the different "categories" of products you want to make & try to have some products from each category.

That way, after the show, you'll be able to see which category of products sold best & can start making more of those for the next show. But again, some categories/products might sell really well at this show but might not move as well at another show (location, demographics, time of year, etc...).

Keep track of your inventory & sales for each show you do. Then, over time, you'll be able to spot trends of which items seem to sell better at which shows/locations. That will help you predict what products will sell better the next time you attend that show.

Good Luck with your first show!
0 Likes
LizArti
Inspiration Seeker

One can never have too many ornaments.
0 Likes
TextileTrolley
Inspiration Seeker

Ornaments are great.
Anything in the $5-20 range is a good idea.
Also if you can connect popular shows to your items and put a little sign on it...e.g. I saw your dragon item in your shop....is it possible to add a baby dragon next to it and put a sign 'Mother of Dragons' (from Game of Thrones).
Zombies are pretty popular too lately LOL
0 Likes

I have things that I know sell at Christmas that are quick and easy to make (glass stars). They are not the most rewarding, but sometimes I can add a few in my kiln on the margins while making something I am excited about. Sometimes you have to churn out stars to make the money to buy the cool class and make the cool projects. (apply to whatever is your equivalent of stars - pretty and popular but not much fun because they aren't very challenging - like that chick from high school)
0 Likes
weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

I can only tell you things I'd look for - for myself, or gifts - small bowls. Food safe - but that could also be used decoratively, as little jewelry holders, etc. Small, pretty, shallow bowls.
0 Likes

Yarn bowls, snowflake and winter items, candle holders, mugs
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

From what I've seen at shows, beautiful serving dishes are popular gifts, or things people buy for themselves, when they are thinking about entertaining. Think large bowls, and lidded casserole dishes. Ceramic colanders (berry bowls) are nice too.
Teapots make special gifts.

For less expensive gifts - mugs and ornaments.

I've given quite a few large ceramic pieces to family, and they appreciate these and use them quite often.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I second the idea of milk & cookie mugs, or biscuit and tea mugs. I enjoy shopping for teacher gifts at craft markets, because they always seem to appreciate unique items like that. Plus, kids like to personalize those by adding their teacher's favorite tea or cookies.
0 Likes

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions, everyone!!!
0 Likes

It could be anything and everything. I have ornaments I sell for $5 and it all depends on the year if I sell many or not. Last year I'm not sure I sold a single one at a show. Maybe people are tired of looking at them lol

Last year I noticed at the shows I did that seasonal decor was VERY popular so I'm trying that route this year.
0 Likes

Ceramics that I have bought at shows for gifts include berry colanders, utensil holders, interesting spoon rests, serving platters, vases, demi-tasse sets, sugar and creamer sets, and lidded pots.
Things I have bought for myself include bowls (I'm always on the lookout for a reasonably sized breakfast bowl) and mugs.
Things I was really tempted to buy as gifts include piggy banks, bird feeders, and cookie jars.
Things my ceramicist friends seem to do well with at the holidays include jewelry dishes, ornaments, and mugs.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.