Former_Member
Not applicable

Weirdest thing another seller has asked you to do while at a show.

Responding to another thread talking about helpful neighbors, i thought this question would be fun.

So whats the weirdest or oddest thing a fellow seller has asked you to do or help with while at a show?

I had a neighboring vendor ask me to apply sunscreen to her back. It seemed a too familiar of a favor to me, i hardly knew her as i just met her at this show. I did it but it seemed odd.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
26 Replies

Re: Weirdest thing another seller has asked you to do while at a show.

That is too funny, I cannot think of anything at this time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I had another vendor ask to use my mobility scooter so that he could go quickly to grab a bite to eat.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

I was set up at an Irish cultural pavilion and the emcee came up to me and TOLD me that she would need help later, taping on her microphone under her shirt. This is while I was in the middle of setting up my jewellery, so I said, "I've got my hands full now, maybe talk to me later."
There was a room full of volunteers setting up tables, and a few of the musicians and dancers milling about, so why she was asking me?????
0 Likes

Good save, tigersanddragons! Quick thinking!
0 Likes

kilngooodness. No-o-o!!! Please tell me you didn't! I think I would have stared with my big mouth wide open. You are so much more accommodating, than I. Hats off to you.
0 Likes

I had a sweet little old grandmotherly lady in the spot next to me who asked could I watch her table while she went to get something. (I assumed she meant a cup of coffee or something to eat.) I said sure and proceeded to keep an eye on her display, answer questions about her merchandise and even make a dozen or so sales. When she returned SIX HOURS later with no apology or explanation she was barely appreciative of my efforts on her behalf.
0 Likes

At an outdoor show this spring, my neighbor showed up with his paintings and no table! I guess he figured he would spread his stuff on a blanket on the ground - and then he saw the rest of us with tents and tables and fully set-up booths.

He asked me if I had any extra tables he could borrow! As it happened, my CR-V has a small built-in table in the cargo area, so I let him use that for the day.
0 Likes
TextileTrolley
Inspiration Seeker

Oh my goodness theses are funny stories!!! I think I've been lucky with my neighbours....can't think of anything! Great thread tho...made me smile, cringe, shudder etc
0 Likes

Brigit - 6 hours?!?!! I would have contacted the show organizer after an hour, just in case something happened to her. Wow. You win the prize for honesty and best booth neighbor!
0 Likes

At a local craft show, I was a spectator (potential buyer) and I walked up to a crafter selling her jewelry and we got to chatting a little about what type of jewelry we both made, how was business, etc. She then asked me if I would watch her booth while she made a potty run. I was surprised, but agreed. Guess I had an honest face :)
0 Likes

Oh no Brigit, maybe the poor old thing fell asleep somewhere!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Someone once asked me to take her husband off her hands.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

There was a similar incident as Brigit's at our market. and the police were called. when she showed back up it was not well received that the police were brought into the situation. hmmmmm.....

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Haha! Sunscreen... so funny, but perhaps necessary in Australia (perhaps they didn't have a very good arm :-P) :)

I clearly haven't done enough markets to gain a funny story - but I have found another seller (same category) going through my stock with a fine tooth comb... it's nice to check out the 'opposition' but it's a bit weird when they do close inspection on prices, everything right in front of you! :-/
0 Likes

These are so funny happenings. I haven't anyone really ask me to do anything or help them yet. I'm sure that will change with a matter of time. :)
0 Likes

I think the "little old lady" may have played you ;) Free booth help! That is crazy no matter what the reason. I would have had to ask...Oh my goodness...is everything okay? I thought you might have been in an accident or something.

Sunscreen application and taping on a microphone sounds a bit to up close and personal for a stranger.
0 Likes

I wish I had asked someone for help with sunscreen once because I ended up terribly sunburned.
0 Likes

6 hours?? I agree with Rachelle, I think the little old lady took advantage!

One of my neighbours at my last craft show disappeared with her family around lunchtime and didn't come back for an hour and a half. She disappeared again later in the afternoon- someone started asking me questions about her items that I had no answers for, so I left hubby at my booth and went running to find her- luckily I found her quickly. If t hadn't been such a slow day I probably wouldn't have gone to find her, though.
0 Likes

Can't think of any at the moment. Too busy laughing :)
0 Likes

I once had a vendor set up next to me and wanted to "push our tents together so it looks like we are together and we will sell more".
Ummm...no.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just remembered one. It wasn't me that was being asked but the candlemaker next to me. The guy next to her asked her if she would keep an eye on his booth for awhile and told her he'd give her 30% commission on anything she sold while he was gone. She said yes figuring he was stepping out for lunch or something and it was only a 6 foot table to keep an eye on. A 1/2 hour before the end of the show he shows back up...yep gone for most of the day...the candlemaker made $75 for her trouble tho she admitted to me it wasn't any trouble as she just took the $ and kept an eye on the booth when she wasn't busy.

0 Likes

Maybe we're casual here, but the sunscreen thing wouldn't bother me. The leaving-the-booth stuff---THAT would!
0 Likes

I always take a friend with me and have a hard enough time leaving them alone when I need to step out for a bit. lol
0 Likes

Oh my, too funny. I can't imagine being asked to watch their booth and then they don't return for hours!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.