Former_Member
Not applicable

Wanted: tips for large events

Hello. I’m new to this Team!
I’m doing shows up in WA state and northern OR. I have five shows under my belt and am booking for this year. I am particularly anxious on my first two this year, which have extremely large attendance rates (50,000ish ppl). I’ve not done a show that’s even close to this size. I wonder if others have dealt with crowds this large and if there are any tips or warnings? Any theft? How do you manage a lot of customers at once?
Thanks!
-jen
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
14 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Wanted: tips for large events

Bring a friend if you can.
Bring lots of stock, and be ready to replenish throughout the day, you may not want to have it all out at once so things don't walk.

Double your cashbox, and clean out the bigger bills regularly to a secure location, Like your own pocket.

I'm sure more will pipe in

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

No tips here, just wanted to wish you the very best of luck!

Congrats on getting into some huge events!
0 Likes

I do a 4 day show every year that has about 14,000 attendance. That's the biggest I've done. We are usually very busy for a few hours each day. People waiting in line to pay, people with questions, people that want to see something in another color, someone who wants me to make a chain in a particular size. My daughter is a great sales person and she is always at my booth with me. We have a system. She handles the cash register, the cc charges, the packing and bagging. I handle the customers. When either of us has a spare minute, we help the other. I have a double booth space at this show.

During the really busy hours, I have my husband sitting in the corner behind my booth. He just sits and watches. Sometimes he'll talk about the weather or something. He doesnt do sales. I've had one thing stolen at a show but got it back as a crafter saw the person take some stuff and put it in a bag.

Make sure your money is secure. Have at least one other person to help you. 2 if you can do it for a show that big. Get things ready ahead of time. We have all our packaging in compartments in a box right at the pay station so we just pull out the size bag needed, info card, business card. Be organized and know where your stuff is so you can quickly get to it. Don't be looking away or lost in some box somewhere. Thats a perfect opportunity for something to disappear.

I have a friend who sells dips and she is always super busy. I was shocked to see her just throwing her money into a big box under the table, no organization to it. Her tables are up on blocks so they are higher than countertop and she was totally enclosed so it worked for her. I'm not suggesting you do that. Just an example that different things work for different people.

It's best to use a counter height stool rather than a chair. It's easier on you and you have more visibility of your stuff. Don't forget your counterfeit bill pen. We always use them to check large bills. Good luck at your show. Come back and tell us how it goes for you. We can all lear from other's experiences.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice! I think the key is being super organized. And for me, not getting flustered over handling the cash and credit cards. I'll definitely be getting a counterfeit bill pen. I never even thought about that.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

DEFINITELY bring at least one....if not two....helpers. Just to have those extra eyes and some relief is a HUGE help (not to mention the help w/setting up and tearing down)

Be sure to check out this thread I have here too....perhaps it will help with tackling the organization aspect ;-)
0 Likes

I have done several large shows and while they can get very busy, I have found that most people are very polite and will wait patiently if you are assisting someone else. Processing credit cards does take a few extra minutes though, so if you can have help it is great - but I have done many alone and I manage just fine.

Try not to be nervous. I was also very nervous but found the large shows are very similar to the smaller shows, just busier in a good way, and tons of fun. Just smile and enjoy all those extra sales!

Good luck! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Great tips here! The one show Im doing this year is expected to draw in 30,000 people so I get a little anxious when I really think about it. I have at least one friend who will be there to help me but I still have a lot to put together (as this is my first show) I need to figure out how to do my packaging. I sell jewelry so Im hoping to just find a good deal on a large quantity of small bags that will work for any of my products.

One question I have though, when someone wants an adjustment on something like a necklace chain length how do you handle that. Do you keep supplies there on hand to make the adjustment for them on the spot or do you take note of their request & payment, adjust the product after the show and send it to them? This is kind of a concern for me because it seems like everyone wants thier necklaces tailored expecially to them personally but that could back my booth up if we are busy....
0 Likes

I have been at shows with 100,000 to 300,000 ppl. I was busy but not so much that I was over whelmed. Not all of the people are going to walk into your booth.

I've had theft of my work, but it is a risk I take not having cases and wanting people to be able to touch the jewelry. I talk to most everyone that comes into the booth, if only with a "How are you today" so they know someone is there and is observing. I think this cuts down a lot of theft, but if you do shows long things will be stolen. EVEN when you are watching and standing right there. Some are so slick that it is amazing.

Hope you have a good show season!
0 Likes

Countrified - I have all of my supplies with me and make the adjustments there. I have found that 99% of women do not want it sent to them, they want to take it home now. If I am busy I make a note of the adjustment needed, take their payment and then say it will be about half hour and I will have this done for you. This works well as they can go and continue shopping and be back later to pick it up. Most take longer then I have given anyway so it gives plenty of time. You could also give a business card with booth # and location if you are in a big show, i.e. what you are near, so you can easily be found again.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've only had one thing stolen from me. It was a planned theft. One lady asked me a question about how something was made and the other took a beaded bracelet while I was busy answering her questions. I thought she didn't seem interested in what I was saying........she was just interested in distracting me. Crazy....
0 Likes

countrified, I bought a little toolbox at wmart. I keep all my altering supplies in it. I've got a roll of chain, a roll of leather cord, a bunch of cords already cut to specific sizes with clasp on one end, pliers and cutters, a little container of clasps, jumprings, headpins and earwires, premade chains and a few miscellaneous things. It works out well. If someone asks for something to be altered, I just pull out my box and work on it, but I always have help.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice guys!! I like your suggestion of having pre-made lengths already made up Glassy!! Ill be sure to put something together!
Im just glad Im tackling this now instead of waiting untill the month before! I would be as overwhelmed as I am now times like 10! Once I get my craft fair kit organized Ill be able to enjoy it - which is the whole point! =)
0 Likes

My husband stands to one side of my displays and keeps an eye on the crowd while I take care of the transactions. I operate exactly the way most jewelry stores do -- most of my work is inside glass display cases, and I only remove one piece at a time. I keep a couple of earring displays atop the glass cases so customers can have something to look at and touch while they're waiting when things get really busy.

Large bills, checks and credit card receipts go right into my crossbody purse or a zipped fanny pack, which I wear at all times. My cash box is safely tucked behind one of my displays out of arm's reach.

I also bring a jewelry supply kit -- pliers, wire cutters, jump rings, various lengths of chain, earwires and alternative chains and neckpieces for the inevitable customer who loves a focal piece but not the chain that I've paired with it, or a pair of earrings but not the earwires I've selected. I always try my best to make any adjustments requested, sometimes swapping out components from another piece that I can easily alter or shortening a chain when asked. When I'm distracted doing something like that, I ask my husband to come behind my display and help the customers while I'm tied up.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We do a four day show with an estimated attendance of 225,000. A ton of people, but you may only see 10% of that and maybe 5% actually come into the booth to shop. I always have someone with me though. I never do that one alone.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.