Wait List: Is It Ever Appropriate...?

I posted a little while back looking for suggestions on applying for a juried show:

https://www.etsy.com/teams/8070/craft-fairs-its-a-living/discuss/13357078/

I got the application in, but admittedly did not get to put as much time into it as I would've liked due to being swamped with Christmas orders. Anyway, today I got an email notifying me that I am on a wait list. I am, of course, bummed that I didn't get in, but excited to be on the wait list. But... is being waitlisted just a way of letting people down easy without flat-out rejecting them? I wish I had an idea of where I am on this wait list and what the chances are of getting called.

The question I wanted to ask: is it ever appropriate to reply to the email (which is their preferred/only method of communication) and ask questions? Such as, what are some strengths in my work, and what are areas I could improve? Which pieces are a good fit for your show? Can I ask about the length of the waiting list?

I don't have any experience with juried shows, and I want to grow and learn from this application process, but don't want to overstep, either.

Thanks!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: Wait List: Is It Ever Appropriate...?

you have nothing to lose, fix the problems and hope for the best
0 Likes

I have been called off the waitlist before.
0 Likes
ClaybyStacia
Inspiration Seeker

I was once on a wait list, but was immediately afterword asked into the show. In fact, the acceptance letter happened to reach my mail box a day before the wait list letter...which was just a bit confusing!

I don't know what protocol is on emailing questions like that, but I don't think it would hurt. It shows that you're still interested, and proactive. I would probably only ask once though. You don't want to be a pest.
0 Likes
wayfaringgoods
Inspiration Seeker

That's too bad about not getting in from the get go!
I don't think it would hurt anything to ask your questions, especially if its the owner of Unglued's brick and mortar shop who deals with the emails, as she seems very nice.
I am also willing to bet you won't be the only one asking such questions. The notification email said that the wait list is very long and competitive so there are probably many crafters and artists scratching their heads a bit. I'm actually left scratching my head as to why I was accepted in since my work is quite traditional and that's exactly what they didn't want. Juried shows... always a mystery! lol
You may not get a response if they are flooded with emails but I really think its worth a shot, for piece of mind if nothing else.
Anyways, I really do hope that a spot opens up for you! :)
0 Likes

The good news about being wait-listed is that the jury does think you are good enough to be a vendor but they just didn't have room for everyone they would like to accept. It is possible that returning vendors get priority over new vendors. In that case, there is nothing you can do but keep plugging away.
0 Likes

I'm sure the waitlist is real, it seems likely that some shows fill up fast and cancellations happen too.

You probably wouldn't come off as rude by asking questions, though it would help to do so really graciously by acknowledging in your email that their time is valuable and you understand if you don't get any answers. Maybe limit it to one or two of the most important ones?

Knowing how many people got to the waitlist before you won't actually help you very much. I would file this one away as a miss, and move on. If no one cancels and you don't get a call back, you won't be thinking about it. If you DO get a call back, you'll be pleasantly surprised!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I prefer not to wait, it ties up other events that I would have been accepted, or I have my money in too many coordinators pockets waiting for the GO.

Good news, they like you, they really like you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Feel free to ask, it truthfully can't hurt your chances - You're already not in the show, right?

I would also say to apply to other shows that same day. If they end up calling you off the waitlist, then you get to decide who's the better fit for you and not the other way around! ;)
0 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, everybody! I just sent over a brief email thanking them for reviewing my application and for putting me on the list, as well as asking a couple follow-up questions. I certainly understand if I don't hear back, but it felt good to put the questions out there anyway. (I didn't ask about the length or where I am placed on the wait list, although I would love to know.) Thanks for the support!

Nicole - congrats on getting accepted! Your work is amazing so I'm not surprised at all! I hope to attend the show as a buyer anyway, so I'll keep an eye out for you!
0 Likes

Nicole - I created an etsy local pin, if you want to add your shop :) https://www.etsy.com/local/event/9170176522/4th-annual-unglued-craft-fest-february-21

See you in Feb!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.