Vintage Trailers as Shop on Wheels

Just wondering if anyone else uses or is thinking about using a vintage trailer as a "shop on wheels" and if there are any crafts fairs, weekend markets, etc that you can use them at?

Could be a great marketing tool as well as a place to keep all your items in one place without having to put up your tent, displays and unpack all your items to get going and then reverse the process when it ends.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies

Re: Vintage Trailers as Shop on Wheels

This picture is a little hard to see because we took it in the dark, but at one festival we do there's a woodworker couple that has this adorable trailer as their booth; the side opens up and all their cutting boards and other goodies are displayed. They used to have a matching camper insert in their pickup truck, but got a new truck last year.
https://www.facebook.com/rocksandsalt/photos/pb.90363022119.-2207520000.1460835381./1015218977805712...
0 Likes

I thought about that a while ago! Most of the food people do it, so why wouldn't it work for a crafter. Only, I know at least at some of the shows I do it would be difficult to get the trailer into the designated spot. You usually have neighbors on both sides, and sometimes the walkways are kind of narrow, so I know I would have problems maneuvering the whole thing. I have an enclosed travel trailer for my show stuff, so at least I can leave tent, tables etc. in there between shows. I wasn't able to see the picture Sara and Phil posted, but I think such a trailer, if made up in a cute way, could be a real attraction!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

I have seen them at a few shows, used by crafters but there can be issues.
- if trailer is bigger than the designated spaces....you need permission, a special spot apart from the rest,or have to pay for 2 spots.
- the logistics of getting the trailer in and out of the crafting area - some show only allow vehicles to get so close to the layout. If the ground is wet, they may not allow you to drive your vehicle up.
0 Likes

I have thought about it, definitely so. But don't have the financial means to get one and get is fixed. If I had someone who could do the work...then that could be feasible, but having to pay someone to do it all? Not so much.

I've also thought about the small mini buses...
0 Likes

We have a 6'x10' cargo trailer (a.k.a. Woodie) that we use to store our artwork and transport everything to shows. We have thought about using Woodie instead of our canopy; however,

1. we would not be able to properly display all of our items. We barely have enough room in our 10' x 10' space using four 6' tables and grids behind them.
2. the spaces at most shows do not lend themselves to using Woodie - with the hitch, he is more than 10'.

It would be interesting to see how the woodworker sets up his things in the cargo trailer. I wonder if he has small mostly the same items, or if he makes lots of different things and different sizes like Bruce.

Sara & Phil...do you know this woodworker's name?
0 Likes

At the "vintage" shows here, there are often a few small trailers in booths. I haven't yet seen any where shoppers enter the trailer, however.

A friend in Ohio says her husband & son are going to build her a "gypsy wagon" to use for a booth.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

I have been inside 2 different art gallery trailers, small silver Airstreams. These were pretty cramped, only a couple of people at a time could go inside. Both trailers also set up a small table or shelves against the side of their trailer, to display more wares.
0 Likes

It's these guys - http://www.gypsywagoncuttingboards.com/home.html
On the about page on their site there's a picture of the truck with the wagon and camper.

What I've seen with them and another girl I know who has a cool trailer booth is that there is still quite a bit of set-up involved, but the trailers definitely attract people!
0 Likes

I know of a few mobile shops like that here in the San Francisco area, it's a neat concept. One has a box truck set-up and sells clothing, even has a dressing room in the back. Another is a modified camper that was turned into a fun gallery full of mixed media art--the whole thing had a great, funky "salvage" look. There is also a modified school bus art gallery that goes to a lot of festivals.
0 Likes

Thanks Sara! They do not have much variety, so setting things up in a trailer for display is not as difficult as it would be for someone with 200+ different pieces. I love the idea and have thought about it endlessly; however, it would not suitable for us.

Also, in many show situations, maneuvering the trailer into a spot would be a challenge.
0 Likes

Thanks for all your replies, ideas, etc. My mom and I are trying to get the money together to have a 1960/61 Holiday House Travel Trailer replica built as a shop. There is one manufacturer http://chcamper.com that does the Shasta replicas for both camping and vending. He stated he would be willing to do one of the 17 foot models for us when we get the financing. Then all I would have to do would be to find places I could use it. So far, I have three possibilities in the North Florida area that think it's a great idea and would like to encourage more vendors to participate. You just have to get their kind of early to set up the trailer and more your vehicle out of the way.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.