Ok my color branding is teal/white/tan. I am using this on my logos, table clothes, even the curtains in my booth.

To display my earrings I am currently using tall shutter doors. I put my earring cards onto the shutter slats to display them.

The problem is I sell silver earrings. So it looks like Silver on White on White. And from a distance it does not stand out well, unless something is shining on the silver and making it sparkle. But even then has a hard time standing out.

I could re-do the cards so that they are teal, but then the logo kind of gets lost (I have a teal butterfly on the logo).

I had also thought of using teal paper to line the card area. My husband pointed out that the paper would probably rip at the first try.

I could try painting the shutters teal, but not sure if that would be too much teal. (I did an all teal booth one year, people avoided it)

Here is what it currently looks like. Suggestions would help.

https://www.facebook.com/ElunaJewelryonEtsy/photos/a.218615650485.273540.211497655485/10155678533050486/?type=1&theater

Re: To Stand Out

I think your jewelry on the cards and black displays would show best if the shutters were (completely) painted the same shade of tan as your table cloths.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

the blue or the tan are better than the white
0 Likes

I agree with Ekatrina; and I like the tan best. The gray and the white make your earrings completely disappear.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

We have two colors of earrings cards - a mid-navy that showcases metals and a pale blue that is good for earrings that have transparent gemstones so that the color can be seen.
IMO Silver does not look good on white, it gets lost.
Looking at your photos, the teal card would be my choice. The tan would work for any earrings with transparent stones.
While I did like the colorful shutters, If you use colored cards then you can keep the shutters white.

To have your logo show up on Teal cards:
- You can pay a printer to print your logo in metallic ink (silver)
- Printers can take a white card and print the front with teal ink and whatever color you would like your logo to be (black, white, white with a black outline, metallics).
- If you decide to just make your own cards you can buy teal paper, print your logo on white paper, and cut and paste your cards together.

For the last 15 years I have had my earrings cards printed professionally on colored textured cardstock I'm starting to run low and was considering a colour change. I went to the local printer that I used last time to look at paper samples and was told that:
- because there has been less market demand, the choices in beautiful paper is much slimmer than it used to be.
-Paper has a shelf life, they have to print with "fresh" paper, or the paper will be too dry - it may crumble, not absorb ink well. When a printer buys paper, they have to buy a minimum amount even if your order will not require that amount. That may be paper they can't use again (shelf life)....so you're paying for that "dead stock".
-silver ink has increased in price because the only local printer who did it has closed (all the printers in my city would send their metallic ink and silver embossing orders to this one shop).
-printing in colored inks on top of a white card is the least expensive option, and it's easier to get the exact colors you want.

Options may be different in your area (availablilty of inks and papers) if you are talking to local printers, or placing an order online.
0 Likes

0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Tigers, do you know any good source for printable shaped earring cards, or unshaped cards that have the holes punched already (or even a good source to have short runs printed)? I see finished cards for sale, and I can't imagine the sellers are die-cutting each card, but I have totally failed at finding a source for blank cards other than the round-corner business card perforated sheets.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/232159822/pk-30-custom-earring-cards-jewellery?ga_order=most_relevant&g...
0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Eluna, I love your new design. It is very pretty and elegant.
0 Likes

Thank you ekatrina.

I will be honest, I do hole punch mine. I can do 2-3 cards at a time. And it does not take me that long.

I am using a single hole punch. But I believe bead landing has an earring hole punch for cards. One sec I will see if I can find it.
0 Likes

0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks April. I do have that, but I can't quickly and reliably get it centered. Do you have a trick?
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

ekatrina. I diecut all of my cards, for zipper pulls, earrings, and in my shop, my luggage handle wraps card. I can cut three at a time out of cardstock, and the hole punch is on the die as well, so it's done in one shot. Of course, you would need a decent diecutting machine, but then you can get custom dies any shape you want (with the hole included)!
0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

@Carol But then to get them printed, you have to center the die on the printing.

Sigh. I guess buying them from people talented enough to do that is the way for me to go. :)

0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Oh yes, I see what you mean. I just print Avery labels and stick them on!
0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Carol, thanks, that helps :)
0 Likes

Ekatrina, you could design the card yourself and add marks where you want to get the holes punched. Then have them printed with the marks.

I know vistaprint allows you to upload your own design rather than using one of theirs. Just a thought
0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Yeah. I could do that. That would be cheaper than what I'm doing. Right now, I print on rounded edge business cards, because I feel like they a little more presence and then punch them. Even punching on marks makes the process slower because I have to almost-punch them to see where I am, then shift the punch to line things up.

I know it is ridiculous-I'm just really bad at eyeballing centering in two directions. I'm also really bad at cutting things out.

( http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/665997/Avery-Inkjet-Clean-Edge-Business-Cards/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Go... )
0 Likes
weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

April, I had a different thought for your shutters and it would be a pain, maybe - but I think you'd like the result.

Strip the paint off. Have them be natural wood. Your white would show up, your teal and silver would show up, and natural wood is a customer-pleaser - even if people don't notice it they respond well to it.

I use wood as a background on some of my jewels, because it's "natural" and a good complement to silver.

Totally just an idea - but if you were interested (and the shutters are wood) it would only cost time, elbow grease, and paint stripper.

0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Ekatrina, I don't know any specific sources for die cut shapes cards. Your shop doesn't state your US location, but I would suggest that you consider talking to a local print shop to see what they can offer you.

As for the centering problem: Why not just get a ruler to measure out where your holes would go and then make a template? Make the template out of cardboard or thin plastic (clear if you like). You can mark all the cards with a tiny pencil mark or if the punch is bigger, punch the template, then always lay the template down over the card, to line up where your tool will go. Templates make repetitive jobs easier.

If you were going the route of making your own diecut cards, you could also order a rubber stamp of your business logo and stamp them yourself. I've seen some crafters even go to the trouble of doing embossing on their cards.
Personally I think my time is better spent making jewellery and I'd rather pay for a printer to make my cards. It's not easy to find nice cardstock at a good price, compared to what a printing company can bring in.
0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Templates are a good idea. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You can Either paint the shutters or cover the slats with crepe paper, this would allow you to change the theme, when the mood takes you
0 Likes

You could have a batch of cards printed with dots to punch.

(sorry, just saw I'm a repeater)
0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

np Suzy, thanks for the input. :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.