Former_Member
It's been many (MANY) moons since I've done a craft show. What's everyone's take on having a Square or some other debit/credit card system available. Worth it, or too much hassle?
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Square or other credit/debit system. Yay or nay?

Does anyone one use the pay pal credit card scanner?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I have only done 2 craft fairs and lost 1 sale as I did noy have a way to accept credit card. I read all the comments about Square as that is what I am going to get. Do they sell it at Apple stores or you just go to Best Buy?
0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Pam, I used the Paypal swiper at my most recent (first) show. It worked well, and I liked being able to pre-load an inventory price catalog, so I didn't have to type numbers in the whole time. I had a mini scare with it not connecting at first, but after that it didn't give me any problems. Taking cards is well worth it.

Just an aside, I also have a square, although I haven't used it because I didn't want o take the time to set up another account. The back-end abilities on Square looked awesome, much better than paypal.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We use Square and give it a Thumbs Up! We've made a lot of sales that we wouldn't have made if we didn't take credit cards so being able to accept credit cards is very important. Square makes it super easy.

We get a record of what we sold, they deposit the money in our account within a day or two & we can even set up our Square app to automatically add sales tax if we're in a state where sales tax needs to be collected.

0 Likes

I also use Square - it was the reason I got my smart phone too. I wouldn't be without it now. Some shows see only/mainly cash purchases but there are a number of sales I wouldn't have gotten if I didn't take credit cards. In fact my last show was almost all credit card sales.

I got mine through the Square website - they send it free of charge.

I have all of my inventory set up with pictures and prices in my Square Register so at a show I just scroll down and tap on the item(s) being purchased.

I've had problems with it reading the cards sometimes - it turns out that if I brace my phone on something and hold the reader itself while I swipe it works fine.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I've been using a knuckle buster since 1984, and my sales went up 40% at the first show. Some of the shows I do have terrible reception, so this still works fine for me. NEVER had a bad one (luckily). I would lose too many sales without taking credit cards, especially customers over the phone, after shows are over! For sure, fix up something for credit cards! All the best of luck with sales!
0 Likes

Smart phone credit card readers are wonderful and simple to use…
www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/emv-faq-chip-cards-answers-1264.php
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9HKNj1-m8

SQUARE Credit Card Reader

• No need to load inventory beforehand
• Can be used on or off line in the event you are having connectivity issues; however, if you use it off line and the card does not clear, you are out of luck.
• The new credit card readers that are able to read the chipped credit cards cost $29
• Not connected to Etsy shop so seller must deactivate any sold items
• You have the option of tracking cash payments.
• Offers great analytics and record keeping capabilities.
• Square advertises in print all sorts of media so customers are familiar with it.
• Phone support is available.

ETSY Credit Card Reader

• Connected to your Etsy shop so when you sell an item, it automatically comes off your inventory
• Cannot use off line so connectivity might be an issue if you are in a school or remote area
• Not yet able to read the new chipped credit cards – no word on if it will still be free when they update to a reader that can read chipped credit cards.
• 20¢ imposed when you sell one of a multiple item. If you sell one of a multiple item while using the Square or PayPal, you simply reduce the number left in your listing – no extra fees.
• If you sell a one-of-a-kind item with the plan of remaking that item, you have to list it again and the listing fee is imposed. If you sell a one-of-a-kind item while using the Square or PayPal, you just leave it listed while remaking the item.
• You may want to read the Forums for feedback.
• Phone support needs to be requested.

www.etsy.com/help/article/5631
www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/15487786/page/1

PAYPAL Credit Card Reader

Can be linked to a PayPal debit card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIL9GsBI3ik

More show tips:

https://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/15780687/page/1
0 Likes
RomaMiaTradingCo
Inspiration Seeker

I have a square, etsy, and paypal reader.

I got the square and paypal before etsy had their own.

Personally, I never used the paypal reader, but have used the etsy and square. I have not had an issue with either one of them yet. I take both readers with me to all shows. I use the etsy reader with me as my primary, and my square as the back up.

I like using the Etsy reader as my primary since it does link to my Etsy account and I can have them count as my Etsy sales. Granted I will need to upload them before hand, but chances are, if I don't sell them I will need to do it anyway.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Be careful about using the Etsy card reader. Check the bugs forum for details. Last weekend many users had problems: the sales went through at their shows but there's no record of the sale or money in their account. Etsy has stated that they have no time frame for when the issue will be resolved. In the meantime, all of those sellers are out that money. There is even the possibility that if this money is still in a "processing" stage after 7 days, the transaction will be automatically cancelled . . . . meaning the buyer's credit card will not be charged, they still have the product, and the Etsy seller is screwed.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Doing a few shows this season and just got the square reader..I am not the swiftest when it comes to electronics and computers, do you recommend call square support to set it up or is it easy to do yourself, shows begin in less than a week and starting to get in anxious mode
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

also have the paypal reader, but haven't set that up yet either..it doesn't accept chip cards...was thinking I should set it up also to use as a backup
What do you think?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have the Etsy card reader and so far I haven't had any problems. I really love that it connects to my Etsy shop. As a new shop, I don't have a lot of sales, so I love that I'm able to show all of my in person sales on Etsy.

I haven't done a craft show yet, but I have one next weekend, and I hope I don't have any problems. I know Square takes a lower sales percentage, but I love the fact that with the Etsy card reader EVERYTHING is connected, so at the end of the month I can pull my report for Etsy and everything is there in one spot.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Square = Yay!

We just had our most successful show of all time this past weekend & did about $500 in sales just in credit card purchases through our Square Reader.

So yeah, I highly recommend taking credit cards at shows as well as the Square Reader.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

oh wow!!!!!! congratulations Mike and Cindy!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks Emily! We're now preparing for another large show the first weekend of Nov but last weekends show just blew my mind. We had a LOT of credit card sales so it's important to have a Square or similar gadget to get those credit card $$.
0 Likes

Donna, install the Square app. If you have the chip card reader from Square, be sure to charge it prior to using it. Also be sure to plug the reader into your phone before the show so it can do the firmware update. I wasn't aware of that so it was trying to do the update as I was trying to swipe the first card of the day about a month ago! You can always do a test by charging a dollar to your own credit card. A friend and I practiced this way when we first got our Squares several years ago.
0 Likes

I am doing a show next weekend & will be using square for the first time. I do small church shows & even though I have had my square for a while I have not used it. (Chicken!).

I was wondering about the chip cards & saw a post that the readers cost $29. Is that standard cost & is the processing fee the same?
0 Likes

@Carol - You can get the one for $29 or you can buy a contactless one for $49. The contactless one does not plug into your phone and works via bluetooth.

I bought the $49 one because I didn't realize the $29 one existed so I would probably go with that one. The $49 one also isn't out yet.

The fees are the same for all of them.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hmmm, I didn't realize the $29 one existed either. I thought we'd have to go with the $49 contactless one. I know the $49 contactless one also accepts Apple Pay with a wave of the phone but there's something else to think about which is battery life.

Using either the standard or $29 chip reader plug in, we have to enable location tracking on our phones, which puts more drain on the battery. If the $49 reader also uses bluetooth to transmit, then we'd also have to have Bluetooth enabled which will also add even more drain on the battery. Just something to think about.
0 Likes

I didn't know about the $29 one either, but I ordered the $49 one.
I did pick up one of those stick chargers for my cell phone this summer (many of my 2-day shows I don't have electric) so I'm thinking one or two more of those might get me thru
0 Likes

Thanks Dawn!
0 Likes

Square is well worth it. I've been using it for over 2 years and haven't had any issues, and it has definitely made a difference in sales, since people who have to go and get cash often never come back.
0 Likes

We process thousands of dollars through Square every festival weekend. Both the point of sale interface and the backend reports are excellent.
0 Likes

I cancelled my pre-order for the $49 contactless reader on Friday - you have to submit a request to cancel. Mine was approved in a couple of hours. I told them I would rather have the $29 one since I can get it right away and I need it. They canceled the pre-order and then sent me a link to the $29 one. I ordered it right away and it was shipped on Saturday so I should have it for my next show.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Square is my friend! It is easy to use, my money is my account fast and the reports make paying sales tax and tax time much easier.

I see that several of you didn't know about both of the new kinds of readers. I have signed up to get emails from square and follow them on Facebook. I get all my information that way.

I also use the Beta version of Square that tries out new features.

Instead of ordering two of the chip readers, I ordered one of those and one of the contactless readers. That way I can take any kind of payment.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.