Smaller set up for a larger show

I just found out that I got accepted a large show coming up next month, and I'm super excited, because I've applied once before and didn't get in, (and almost didn't apply this time!) It's also going to be the largest show I've ever done.

Due to the expense, I only applied for a 4x6 space. Most shows I do, and my canopy, are 10x10. The show will be outdoors in May, in Southern California: not having shade is not an option. My budget for this is minimal, but I need to figure a "booth" for such a small space. I'm looking at building one with PVC; but I don't know how sturdy that will be. I've also looked at patio-type umbrellas, but in maximizing my table space, it's not practical.

I wondered if any of you have any ingenious ideas about possible setups? (and pictures to share!)

Thanks, all!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Smaller set up for a larger show

I was going to suggest a market umbrella. They are pretty inexpensive, but I think it would cause a space issue since they sit off to the side. Do you need shade for your whole booth or just for you? I have a folding chair that has a canopy attached so I stay in the shade. I don't use it in my booth, but I could I guess.

0 Likes

I did a show this past weekend, and part of tables were in the sun for a bit; they got pretty hot, so I would like shade for the whole set-up.
0 Likes

When I was redesigning my booth, I set up a Pinterest board and Googled booth design and pinned everything that looked useful. Feel free to start with my pins but create your own since you are looking for different things than I was.

If you do use pvc, remember to weight the corners, you don't want it blowing into someone else's display.

I'm in SoCal too, what show are you doing?

https://www.pinterest.com/jackpotspottery/display-booth-ideas/
0 Likes

Thanks, for the link, Jackpots.

I'll be at Patchwork in Santa Ana on May 24th. :D
0 Likes

I wanted to do Patchwork...but I will be in Canda.. :-( I am doing Soka University in Aliso Viejo next month though.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Patchwork Show! I'm going to be there too. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've built things with PVC and haven't had a ton of success, tbh. This mostly comes from joints not wanting to stay put. I'd suggest using PVC glue to affix them, but then you have the problem of things not coming apart for transport. If you have a pickup truck or similar, this may not be an issue for you. And like Jackson said, weights are a must! (Which you probably already know since you own a canopy. :))
0 Likes

I've got my sandbags, so I'm set for weights!

Jessica, how large were your structures that gave you problems?

I have a van, currently... but its on it's last legs... who knows what I will be driving in a month and a half!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We built a photo backdrop for my sister's wedding that was something like 8 feet high and 6 feet wide. It was probably a matter of not tightening the joints enough (something like a rubber mallet might work to wedge it tight without having to glue it). I have to build a similarly-sized backdrop for another show I'm doing in June, so I'll be giving it another go and keeping my fingers crossed that it works.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.