Should I sell a kit of my Necklace?

So I sell glass tile necklaces with pendant trays using a particular vintage paper image
Having been one of those " i can make that" shoppers before, I thought about making a kit with a variety of my less than gorgeous images ( pretty but not quite as nice as the ones I use in the necklaces) with the glass, pendant tray , and cord along with instructions. It's my first show. I'd like to offer them but I'm not sure I should or what price I should put on them. ( My pricing formula minus the glaze, bag and labor?)

Show is saturday...so I am super nervous.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies

Re: Should I sell a kit of my Necklace?

Personally, I don't like the kit idea. I think it would give the impression that you are simply buying a kit and assembling it. Pricing would also be an issue because the price of your art should reflect more than the cost of your labor and materials but also your design creativity and concept.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I agree with Julie. I think it would kill sales of your finished pieces, if people thought they could assemble their own cheaper.
I hope you have a successful show, whatever you decide!
0 Likes

I've struggled with a similar issue. I have thought about selling a kit, but if I would I think it would only be online. When I'm at an in person show, I wouldn't want a kit to compete with my finished work. There may be less a chance of competing with myself in my online shops.

I've heard an argument before (not sure if this has merit) that the customer for kits vs. finished pieces are different, so maybe you wouldn't be competing with yourself. But I don't think it makes your work at a show look as good...Unless...all you sell are kits and not finished pieces.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I sell a couple of patterns that I designed, BUT I don't have finished items made from the patterns for sale!
I would think it's one or the other. If you can sell kits at your craft shows, your lucky. In Canada, kits aren't allowed.
0 Likes

Thank you guys. I think I'll pass. Maybe brand them as photo necklace kits and throw them in my shop.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Carol, that's not a rule across Canada.
The big show companies do not allow crafters to sell crafting kits, or sell items made from crafting kits....and they do have intricate detailed contracts.

But most other shows don't have these rules. I know women who sell supplies like hand dyed wool and felt, and they also have kits, that they are permitted to sell.

You do make a good point, that it's important to read the rules of a show, because they may have a list of prohibited items.

Tawna, I agree with the other sentiments here, that you don't want to steal business from yourself by selling kits that compete with your finished jewellery. Considering the time and money it takes to run a show booth, you want to make the most you can!

Online sales would be a better option.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

tigers. That's right, of course. I always think about Nepean Sportsplex, because that's my big show! No kits, no sale signs, no clearance signs, etc.
I agree that Tawna would be competing with herself (and losing)! The kit COULD make it look "easy to make", and her finished items won't be appreciated as much! She would also have to sell them cheaper than the finished product, and a lot of people would go for that, as well!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.