Should I get an extra Square (credit card) reader?

I currently have one Square reader for my phone. I have used it once for the one show I did back in December 2015.

I have two shows in the next two months. Should I buy an extra Square reader to have on hand? I'm not sure how reliable these things are.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies

Re: Should I get an extra Square (credit card) reader?

When I signed up for square, I got both the swipe reader that plugs into the headphone jack, and the chip/contactless reader. Sometimes the chip reader doesn't work well, but only when my signal is low. Then I used the swipe reader. But I've been okay with these two options on hand.
0 Likes

I have the less expensive ($29) chip card reader. At my last fair in December, it only worked a couple times the first day. I just punched in the card numbers after that.

Thanks for reminding me to check on this! I tried to figure out what was wrong a couple months ago, but gave up. Now I have a farmer's market on April 8th, so I really should get this resolved. I have heard there are more than a few malfunctioning chip card readers out there, so maybe I've got one of them?!

But, back to your question. Having a backup might not be a bad idea. (I have the Etsy reader, though I've never used it. Maybe I should try it?)
0 Likes
TextileTrolley
Inspiration Seeker

I have about 3 of the readers that go in the phone jack (free from square) and one chip/contactless reader that I bought for $49 I think.

I try and use the chip reader when possible. If it's a chip card and you swipe it with the phone jack reader if it's a bad transaction square will not cover you....they will if you use the chip (apparently).

All in all I just think it's safer with the chip reader....let's face it there are more chip cards than not now and it's the way of the future so I think it's just better to get used to using it!
0 Likes

Yes, it cost extra; however, it is worth our peace of mind. We have two squares for several reasons.

1. If the battery quits
2. If we lose or misplace one
3. If one breaks
4. Sometimes one card reader will not read a buyers credit card and the other one will.

Not only do we have two chip credit card readers, we still carry our two non-chip credit card readers with us.
0 Likes

When my chip reader didn't work it was because I hadn't updated the square app on my phone.. also the chip reader needs to be fully charged.. I carry a spare battery charger just for the reader.
0 Likes

I have a simple back up reader, and I also have a Paypal reader. I figure that of all the unfortunate things that have happened, or could happen in the future, not being able to take money from someone who is in the process of handing it to me is way up on the list of bad. I don't think you can wrong having a back up.
0 Likes

My apps update themselves, so I don't think that's it in my case. I bought a mobile battery charge about 18 months ago, but it proved to be useless (it was the $10 variety, but still ...).
0 Likes

I have the cheaper chip reader and the freebie one. Before the chip readers I always had a couple of the freebie ones. Never hurts to have a spare AND sometimes you can help out a fellow crafter if they forgot theirs or theirs isn't working.

And you should always have a spare if you're using the chip reader ones since they run on a battery. When constantly plugged in the battery doesn't last very long. It's really kind of a pain in the a$$.
0 Likes

We have the contactless chip reader and the free mag strip reader, which is free, and I can't say enough good things about it!! I would have gladly paid the $49, but didn't have to because I traded my $29 piece of crap chip reader (Tana, have you written to square yet?).

If you're only using the strip reader (which I don't recommend, but many people do), I would get a spare or two. They're free. Just log in to hardware and request one. As soon as it is shipped you can request another. We have 4 of them, they do wear out. Square doesn't care, for all they know you have a staff of employees using them.
0 Likes

Allison & Sheryl,

I just charged up the Square reader (as I'd done back in January) and it WORKED!!! with 3 of my own chip cards. I cancelled the sale on all of them, but it went to the signature screen ... which it didn't do at the last fair where I tried to use it in December. That was a different phone ... that was on its last legs ... but this IS the same phone I tried it with in January. So I'm going to assume it will work on April 8th!
0 Likes

Tana,

Best of luck with your show and the Square!
0 Likes

Allison & Sheryl,

Thanks, but due to 90% chance of rain today, I cancelled my booth space.
0 Likes

I have 2 squares, plus the chip reader.

Like I wouldn't travel with just one pen, I also won't do a show with just one reader. I've had one suddenly fail to work, before, and that's disaster for a show.
0 Likes

The answer is YES!

I have the same as Cari, 2 plug ins and one chip reader. You gotta have the chip reader nowadays, otherwise some cards don't work if you only swipe them...
0 Likes

I have a few readers, just in case one breaks or runs away.
0 Likes

I have both plus the PayPal reader as well. I'm with Dawn, it's nice to have an extra for a fellow vendor, plus you just never know when an extra will come in handy.

Good luck :-)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.