SQUARE OR PAYPAL

I have a Christmas Market in December. I have lost several sales in past years because I was not able to take card payments, so I am finally going to take the plunge. I had gathered some information on Square, but I think it is now obsolete.

I would like to ask Team members if you would have an opinion on which would be best to have. I do not have any experience. Up to now I have been using a plain cell phone - no bells and whistles. I would really appreciate your input.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
25 Replies

Re: SQUARE OR PAYPAL

I have been using Square for 3 years, and have no complaints. I have not tried any other card reader. You will need a "smart phone" with 4G capability. Or a wifi tablet.
0 Likes

Thank you so much Bill.
0 Likes

Some of this response will apply to your question and other sections will not. Please pick out the bits and pieces that will help you with your specific situation and ignore the rest.

Before we had the Square CHIP credit card reader, we never had an issue with the Square NON-chip credit card reader. The new Square chip credit card reader needs to be charged; therefore, we needed to purchase two just in case one runs out of juice during a sale. One of the Square chip credit card readers lasted for much less than 50 charges before it would not take a charge any more. I emailed the company (they have a customer support phone number I could have called as well), they got back to me in less than 24 hours and resent another chip credit card reader immediately. We had it in our hands in less than 7 days of my email.

We just wish the chip credit card readers held a charge better. Even if we charge the chip credit card reader following a show, it does not hold its charge for the next show a week later - it needs another recharging before use again. It's just another thing we need to remember to do the night before a show. We did purchase a portable charger; however, THAT also needs to be charged the night before a show too. I also have two Square non-chip credit card readers just in case someone's card does not work in one credit card reader, it will work in the other (sometimes happens).

Other than the charging issue and occasional difficulties, we like the Square credit card reader and definitely their customer service. Square knows what customer service means!

You can use a non-chip credit card reader with a chip credit card; HOWEVER, it is my understanding the seller will not be protected against fraudulent cards.

Smart phone credit card readers are simple to use…
www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/emv-faq-chip-cards-answers-1264.php
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9HKNj1-m8

SQUARE Credit Card Reader

www.cardpaymentoptions.com/credit-card-processors/square-review/

• Can be used on or off line in the event you are having connectivity issues; however, if you use it off line and the card does not clear, you are out of luck.
• They run various deals from time to time so the cost may differ.
• You have the option of tracking cash payments.
• Offers great analytics and record keeping capabilities.
• Square advertises in print all sorts of media so customers are familiar with it.
• Weekday phone support is available.
• Does not offer bar code capability.
• Not connected to Etsy shop so seller must deactivate any sold items.
• Needs to be charged each time right before use (mine does not hold a charge)

https://squareup.com/legal/ua
https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/3882-resolving-payment-disputes
https://squareup.com/guides/liability-shift

ETSY Credit Card Reader

www.cardpaymentoptions.com/credit-card-processors/sell-on-etsy/

• Connected to your Etsy shop so when you sell an item, it automatically comes off your inventory
• Cannot use off line so connectivity might be an issue if you are in a school or remote area
• Not yet able to read the new chipped credit cards – go to www.etsy.com/teams/7716/announcements/discuss/16837929/page/1 to read Etsy’s announcement about the EMV card readers.
• 20¢ imposed when you sell one of a multiple item. If you sell one of a multiple item while using the Square or PayPal, you simply reduce the number left in your listing – no extra fees.
• If you sell a one-of-a-kind item with the plan of remaking that item, you have to list it again and the listing fee is imposed. If you sell a one-of-a-kind item while using the Square or PayPal, you just leave it listed while remaking the item.
• You may want to read the Forums for feedback.
• Hard to get – sellers often post they ordered a card reader and have been told it is unavailable.
• Phone support needs to be requested.

www.etsy.com/help/article/5631
www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/15487786/page/1
www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/what-etsy-sellers-should-know-about-emv/30922515241?campaign_label=etsy_success&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=etsy_success_092515_31003194611_0_1&utm_medium=email&utm_content=&email_sent=1443182563&euid=GsNzrhveh0kiYKuSCJtuVF3rPXuS&eaid=961683651&x_eaid=fe2b1d550b

PAYPAL Credit Card Reader

www.cardpaymentoptions.com/credit-card-processors/paypal-here/

• Can be linked to a PayPal debit card
• In person sales are not covered (e.g. show sales). If there is a charge back, it falls back on the seller who has to fight it out with the buyer’s credit card company all on their own
• Has a bar code reader built in and that works when a bar code is added to your items.

https://www.paypal.com/store/
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIL9GsBI3ik
1 Like

Bruce, what a wealth of information! Thank you so much. I actually read all your post because I am so new to this and I need all the information I can get.

My Etsy sales and not as good as I had hoped, so I a planning on attending a few craft shows this and next year and I need the card reader for in-person sales and I was surprised to read on your post that PayPal does not cover that.

Thanks again for all the great information and links!
0 Likes

I have both but haven't used the PayPal ready yet. I really love the breakdown in the sales report you get with Square.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Maria. You are very lucky to live somewhere where supplies are allowed at a craft show! In Canada, we are only allowed to sell finished products! All the best of luck to you at your shows!
0 Likes

I've had the Etsy reader about 3 years and I really like it. I use it with the sell on etsy app and I sell right from my listings, give discounts and collect e-mails. It works really good too.
0 Likes

I have the Square. I also have the chip reader one (the flat one) and I've never used it. I don't have power at shows and since I know that this thing draws a lot, I'm scared that it will kill my ability to take cards. If I had power, I'd consider using it.

I use my swipe reader for everything, even chip cards, and so far, so good. If ever I can't do the swipe on them, I'll figure how to keep that damn chip thing charged, but right now, I'm not doing that.

I love Square. No worries. No issues. Their fees are taken out immediately, so no bills. And they deposit generally 2 days after you take the card. So, for a Saturday show, I'll get the money on Monday.

Love it. I've also never used anything else. I got one about 5 years ago, one of the first people I think, and have never EVER looked back. you need to be able to take cards for maximum sales.
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm in Canada, and Square just announced the other day that we can now buy the contactless chip reader and start accepting debit (Interact) cards through Square. Until now, we could only take credit cards using the basic Square mag swiper.

However, I'm not jumping on it as I already use the Canadian-based Dream Payments sytem that works great for me to take debit & credit sales (and, the card reader holds a charge really well, lol!)

One major complaint is that debit with Square will ONLY be available via 'tap' (as there is no keypad to enter a PIN), and so many people diable the tap feature on their cards as a safety measure if their card is lost or stolen. So, really, debit may not actually be available to all customers even with the new reader, if their tap is disabled.

Also, there is a $100 CDN per transaction limit on 'tap' sales using Square, so higher value items / sales can't be processed if the total sale will be over $100.

I'm curious - are Square customers in the US also only able to use the 'tap' function for debit card sales (you don't enter the chip and a PIN code as you would at many retailers, gas pumps, etc.)? And is there also the same $100 per sale debit limit? How do you work around that?

(Also, as a note, we do not have the Etsy or PayPal readers available in Canada)
0 Likes

I use the square. So far it has worked very well just like Cari has said.

I would not use the etsy reader (even if I could) as they would still get that 20 cent fee and their %, and y pay them when they didnt get me the business the craft fair did!

Ive heard of telus dream payments, you pay for the device, and then you can take debit and credit cards. the fee is minimal too.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Pink Squirrel, keep in mind that Interac and Interac Flash are Canadian services.

Historically, the USA hadn't developed the same kind of "debit" system of payment that we have had in Canada for over a decade.
They do have "Plus"(owned by VIsa) and "Cirrus" (owned by Mastercard).

So the "Tap" for US Square only applies for Credit cards. I don't see any limit mentioned, when I looked briefly at the US site.

As for Dream Payments, I haven't used them, but have heard both good and bad concerning getting a decent connection. There are some people I know who have both Dream and Square, and only use Dream when they have a debit transaction (if they can get a signal). So they are excited about the new Square.

Tonia - the rates for the Etsy reader are pretty similar to other readers. But these aren't available to Canadians. Also I believe the readers aren't easy to get in the USA, that there is a long waiting list, as I've read multiple complaints about trying to get a reader in the forums.
0 Likes
BeachFleaMarket
Conversation Maker

I have the Square chip reader. It is linked to my smartphone by blue tooth and it stays connected very well. Using hotel/event wifi can be problematic if it's not powerful. My smart phone will boost the signal. The power charge lasts for days. I'm sorry to hear that others are having trouble keeping it charged. One thing that's a little frustrating is that because my phone is linked to the chip reader, it insists on using the chip reader for chip cards. Had a customer with a damaged chip and it would still swipe but Square was not letting me swipe it. My daughter helps me at shows and her phone had just used the regular card swiper so she can swipe chip cards. ( I don;t recommend this because you are libel for any fraudulent charges if you swipe a chip card)
Smart phone vs tablet. I thought my tablet would be more user friendly than my phone. Wrong! My samsung tablet dropped the blue tooth and wifi connections with a small amount of inactivity. My Iphone stayed connected unless I wandered out of the booth and separated the chip reader from the phone.
Needless to say, I firmly believe that being able to take credit cards increases sales.
1 Like

Carol from JustMeToo says

Maria. You are very lucky to live somewhere where supplies are allowed at a craft show! In Canada, we are only allowed to sell finished products! All the best of luck to you at your shows!
====================================================================
Carol, I am sorry if I misled you. I do not sell beads at the show I mentioned in my original post. As in your case, supplies are not allowed. I sell finished jewelry and other handmade items. I have three Etsy shops (jewelry, miscellaneous handmade items and this bead shop), but I always use the bead shop to post in Teams and the forums to keep my identity consistent.

Thank you for your good wishes!
0 Likes

Thank you all for the information and comments you provided. My son took me to buy my first smart phone today. I confess I do not know what to do with it, but hope to be able to handle it soon. Up to now I have only had a cell phone. All this is so new to me and I am very nervous about the whole thing (the phone, the Square, my first swipe, etc.).

After reading your comments and doing some research, I decided to go with Square. I believe I am going to request the free magnetic reader and also buy the chip reader.

The clerk at the shop where I purchased my phone was very helpful and she uses Square and PayPal herself. She assured me that the phone I purchased is compatible with both. It is not an Iphone, I got an android (?).

My sincere thanks to all again!
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Tigers - good point, I sometimes forget Canadian banks are much further ahead of the US in terms of chip, tap, etc technology. (So, sorry if I confused anyone with my post, ha ha)

Tigers / Tonia - I've had no problems with my Dream system - if I can't get a signal (no / poor wifi or dead cell service area), Square also doesn't work, sometimes not even in offline mode (which is weird, but whatever). Dream will sometimes make you re-enter your password after a period of inactivity, but if the show is busy and you're using the reader frequently, that shouldn't be an issue (from my experience anyway).

Maria - If you're nervous, do some practice sales at home using your own credit / debit card. Just charge $1 or 1 low cost item from your inventory, and complete the sale(s) to the end, to get the feel of how it works and all the steps. You will have to pay the % fee to Square for the transactions - but I reasoned the few cents in fees was justified to feel confident using the reader at a show, rather than fumbling and scrambling with a customer :) Good luck!
0 Likes

Thanks Pink Squirrel! Good idea.
0 Likes

Maria, not sure if someone sent you a link for$1000 in free processing on the square device or not, if you haven't signed up yet here's a link for you.
https://squareup.com/i/WEHANDMADE

I love square! It's easy to use! Has doubled my average sale and it is now my main way of sending invoices out to people who email me with orders too. Just came here looking for people's thoughts about the new contactless card reader announcement for Canada. Trying to decide how quickly to jump on this or not.
0 Likes

Maria, Square works great on Android phones too! Try charging something for $1 like you are your own customer so you can practice.
0 Likes

I haven't been able to get my Paypal to work 98% of the time.
I've been using Square for YEARS.
it's great!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I signed up for square the other day when reading this post. When I got home from work today the free square reader was waiting for me. I have to confess I really want to play with it! It only took about three days for them to mail to me.
0 Likes
KathrynMDuncan
Inspiration Seeker

I've had the Pay Pal card reader and have had a lot of trouble using it at shows. I kept having to swipe it to get it to read. Then, I could not use it at all at one show because the cell phone signal was too weak. Another lady near me had a Square card reader, and was using hers just fine. I now have a Square card reader with chip capability, which is all set up to go. I'm glad I read this post because I didn't realize I had to charge my chip reader! I don't do many shows, but will be doing two in near future.
0 Likes

Square is hands down the best!
I'm not gonna say any more because everyone else seems to have covered things nicely. My vote is - and always will be - for Square! :D
0 Likes
RoyGBivandCO
Inspiration Seeker

I am excited to use my new Square contactless chip reader at a show next weekend. I have electricity at my booth so keeping it charged should be okay. My problem will be this venue has terrible internet service. I often have to walk with my customer to an area in the building where it works!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Karen, do you have your own data plan? It's best not to depend on a venue's wifi. Or is it the case that the structure of the venue actually makes it difficult to even get a signal if you use your own plan? Because I have been at venues where I can't even make a cell phone call, the reception is so bad.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.