Former_Member
Not applicable

Receiving payments at craft shows..?

Hi everyone - I have my first craft show tomorrow. I am signed up for square, however - i noticed that I can use the Sell on Etsy App to sell my items as well. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions, Sell on Etsy app to take CC payments in person or Square? And benefits to each one?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies
BlueTurtleCrafts
Conversation Maker

Re: Receiving payments at craft shows..?

I use square. I don't like that the etsy app adds your in person sales to your shop sales number. I like to keep things separate - but that might just be me :)

Some newer shops like that it boosts their sales, they think it makes them look more experienced I guess.
0 Likes

I use square. If I didn't sell it on etsy I don't want to pay the seller fee. The fee is reasonable and I would not try to avoid it for an honest ETSY sale. But if I hauled all my stuff across town its not their sale.
0 Likes

Love Square.
But my craft show stock is completely different than my Etsy store so it doesn't make much sense for me to use the Etsy reader.
0 Likes

We have used Paypal and Square sometimes at the same time due to being busy. I like both but Square seems to be a little better for no particular reason other than the money goes into my checking account. I make a lot of purchases with Paypal so I have that going into my Paypal account. I guess its just user preference. Good fortune for your first show!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!
0 Likes

Kathy, you don't pay the transaction fee on app in person sales. You pay the payment processing fee, which is the same as squares. And, if it is a multiples, you do pay the relisting fee.
I use the sell on etsy, because I like it controlling my inventory and helping with relevancy for my multiple items. The boost in relevancy is worth the $0.20 to me.
And I am too lazy to try to do bookkeeping on more than just etsy and paypal. And I hate the paypal reader.
0 Likes
BlueTurtleCrafts
Conversation Maker

I knew you didn't pay the trans fee on in person sales if it was something that wasn't listed in your shop. But I thought if it was an item you already had listed you did. I could be remembering that wrong, I never actually used it :)

I considered it but when they were having trouble with it early on I kinda wrote it off. Though I did keep it in case of square meltdown.
0 Likes
BlueTurtleCrafts
Conversation Maker

Plus like I mentioned I like my stuff separate :)

I now have etsy, PayPal, square & Amazon haha
That is kind of a lot :D
0 Likes

Nope, no transaction fees on quick sales or from listings sales.

I do have the square and paypal readers, plus etsy reader. Though it doesn't matter much as I don't sell things at shows...I just stand there and get sad. *laughs because she has to find it funny or she'll cry...*
0 Likes

I mostly use Square, although PayPal also has a debut card you can get against your balance, so basically it just depends on where the funds are most needed.

Wishing you much luck on your show, I hope you can sleep tonight! I have opening season on one if my Markets, that's fun too!
0 Likes

Square..... love my square
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Square here as well. At our last show, which was a 1 day event, we did over $500 just in credit card purchases. Never had any problems with Square, we have a record of all cc purchases & they wire our money within a day or two. They also emailed us a yearly cc purchase statement which was a great help when working with our accountant to do our taxes.
0 Likes

I have used square since it first came out, and I am very happy with it....I am curious though about the idea of the sell on etsy reader boosting views and sales for your shop. I would like to know what others experience has been with this.
0 Likes

SQUARE!! :P
0 Likes

I have the new chip reader Square and love it. I have an Etsy reader (after waiting 9 months to get it) but I've never used it. I take my Etsy stock to shows so I use Sell on Etsy if I sell something that's in one of my shops. I enter it as a cash sale if I used my Square for the purchase. This keeps my shops current.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks all! I did use Square, even though I only had one credit card transaction. It was very simple and I will continue to use it.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.