Opinion on: lots of different items vs. Lots of the same item?

I was wondering which is better to have.

A table full of 1 to 5 of each item, with maybe 20 or so different items

or

4 or 5 different items but have 20 or more of each in different colors.

For example:
20 of the same wallet but in different fabrics
Or
20 different kinds/size of wallets in just a couple patterns, just have a few made.

In y'all experience/opinion which sells better at craft fairs?

Hope this makes sense haha :)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
14 Replies
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Re: Opinion on: lots of different items vs. Lots of the same item?

It depends on what you're selling. For something like wallets, I'd say it' s best to have 4-5 really good designs of wallet, in multiple fabrics/patterns.

For something like earrings, more designs is better choice, with fewer variations (color).

Customers do get "paralyzed" by choices sometimes, sometimes they walk away rather than choose because they are so worried that they will pick the "wrong" thing.
0 Likes
DragoninKnots
Conversation Maker

I tend to lean towards variety because it's hard to predict what a specific audience will like (unless you are sure which ones are the most popular). I am seriously considering leaving the Xmas trees at home this year though because they take up so much space in the car. You could do a curve; bring more of what is popular and fewer examples of the less popular items.

In the last show I did, there was a lady who wanted a wallet like your clutch ones. She went out of her way to take out her old one and open it up and show me all the features, and all the while I was trying to explain that I don't really do wallets. I just have some basic card wallets as a filler. I don't know what she wanted me to do; whip one up right there? Lol.
0 Likes
DragoninKnots
Conversation Maker

Tigersanddragons has a good point. 20 types of wallets would be overwhelming. Your shop has a good number of types of items, so if you had multiples of each, it would be a nice selection.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Draco - I'm sure the lady wanted you to tell her that you could make a wallet like her example.
People ask me for all sorts of custom work - from doing repairs to junky jewellery, fixing watchbands, to requesting a diamond and gold engagement ring! So I have to tell them that I only do custom work that is similar to the pieces I already make. Sometimes I can direct them to another crafter at the event, or give them a business card from artisans that I know.
0 Likes
DragoninKnots
Conversation Maker

I guess, but she kept going on and on after I told her I don't make such things.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Yup, I get those types sometimes, they really want something and just keep talking about it.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Usually I get more direct, tell them I'm sorry but I am unable to help them, that they should walk around and maybe they can find another crafter who works in that medium.
0 Likes

On a show last year, my booth was next to a lady who sold fabric bags and wallets. She had three products: a clutch wallet, medium bag, and large tote bag. The 3 items each had a single design in terms of structure, but they came in many fabrics. She sold those items like hotcakes.
0 Likes

For craft shows, I limit myself to 10-12 different products, but have a wide range of choices (style, color, size, etc) for each product. I display a reasonable selection of the products, but either make a sign or let the shopper know more choices are available.
0 Likes

Since I make OOAK items, I make as many different styles as possible for the fairs ... with 2 to 5 of each style. Everything goes together (rustic folk art & primitive dolls).
0 Likes

I would say the "less is more" can apply at craft shows. I read a blog about an aromatherapy seller who sold more when she only put out 3 scents. I see these booths filled with choices and its overwhelming. How can you pick from 50 different soaps? Our brains can only handle so many choices. I now have 4 different sizes of heat pads but only put out 8-10 in various prints to attract certain customers.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I have about ten different things, and tons of each. They are completely different items, though, one style of each.
0 Likes

here's the thing, there is no right answer.

You can do a few styles in a lot of designs (my personal choice) or a lot of designs in a few fabrics.

What makes sense to you? One will make it much easier to display (the few designs) cause you can put them in bins or grouped.

Personally, i want to think as a shopper would. And I think variety is what they are looking at. They don't know how many designs you have. They can see how many fabrics. So, I'd choose 4-5 of my top shapes and bring as many as possible in as many fabric variations as possible.

0 Likes

Sometimes what you need is determined by competition. Normally I sell lots of mugs & bring them in many styles. Today I did a fair where one hobbyist was selling mugs in couple of basic glazes very cheaply. I did not sold a single mug. Another potter sold one and that was to one of her regular customers. However II would suggest that whatever you choose to do there is either enough difference between styles or materials. People have no problem deciding between red & blue but will get stuck deciding between brick red or orange red.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.