Mannequins on Display?

I have two mannequins that I would love to use in my display, but I'm curious --

My main "colors" are white and light pink, so I have a very light display with all of my purses and clutches being very bright to bring the contrast. My mannequins are both black, and I have one with arms and one without.

This is what my each mannequin looks like (hopefully the pics work):
With arms: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14904727@N05/5801169256/in/photostream
Without arms: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14904727@N05/5800613169/in/photostream

Couple questions - do you like it when people use mannequins in their displays at craft shows? It kind of gives a sense of size without trying it on yourself, for those who are sometimes "afraid" to touch the items, in my opinion. Am I wrong?

If I use them, should I use them both even though one has arms and one doesn't? And should I clothe them or should I leave them unclothed? In my photos on Etsy, I always keep them without clothes on, but wasn't sure if maybe I should dress them in a lighter "outfit"?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies

Re: Mannequins on Display?

I think I would dress them up if I were to use them, so they would be themed with my booth. So if your booth is mainly white and pink, I would consider maybe dressing one in a light pink turtle neck or such.

However if you wanted the mannequin display to POP, I might use something like a bright green polka-dot and a contrasting clutch.

Like this color
http://www.etsy.com/listing/48366303/bright-green-polka-dot-fabric-covered?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_searc...

with a clutch like (or maybe a blue if you have one, picked the first contrast I saw)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/76709218/large-pleated-bag-showers-in-morning-by

but this is very clashy....
0 Likes

I think using the one without arms, undressed. That way your purses are the main focus. And I feel like the arms could easily get knocked in a tight space like a booth.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'll use my mannequin forms at the craft shows to show off my work

http://www.etsy.com/listing/76710896/hanging-mannequin-half-body-form-female

with the right light, they can be very effective
http://www.etsy.com/listing/27548278/pineapple-lace-crocheted-shawl-purple
0 Likes

I use an old dress form that I've covered in a table cloth to display jewellery.
Nice thing is I can change the cover anytime.

Perhaps cover them up?
0 Likes

0 Likes

I use mine. In fact, I have an event coming up where I will purchase a second mannequin to use. I think they are a great way to display your items and give you more space on your table. And it sells itself without the person feeling the need to try it on. Sometimes I wish I had more of them to display my items. But then that would be weird. I think two is ok???
0 Likes

I have one of those white half lady forms that are pictured above in crochetgals post (no arms). I've always used it at a summer show I do, but this weekend I clipped it to the back of my table amongst my jewelry at a 2 day holiday show. I put just a plain white shortsleeve shirt on her. I used her for my most expensive necklaces. Each time I put one on her, it sold in a short time. So I'd add another and it would sell. So, I'm going to get a couple more and have at least 3 as the background of my booth and see what happens next show. I was quite happy with the result this weekend.
0 Likes

I like the one without arms, and I'd definitely dress her.
0 Likes

Very awesome, glassy! I have one of those white ones without arms as well that I used to use before I found these black ones. Do you have a picture of how you clipped it onto your table, because that's a fabulous idea!
0 Likes

I love the idea of the mannequin without arms dressed up! I have my dress form which I could remove from it's stand and put on one of my tables....or leave her standing on the floor. What a great way to display my nicer pieces.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i have a boutique style dress form with the wood ball on top that i picked up at home goods that has a nice fabric on it with a small trim on the seams i use it at my fairs & show my favorite bags on them & it draws the people into my booth...

definitely go with no arms & im not a big fan of dressing them but if you want to id try something simple ie. white shirt & light pink skirt..
0 Likes

Would it be better to have the mannequin "standing" in the front of my booth to help draw people in, or out of the way near the back?
0 Likes

I might put her toward the back. I think it would be a great way to add height to your display. (which is something I'm struggling with) I might leave them undressed to make your bags the main focus.
0 Likes

you don't need to dress them or change their color: they are fine!
and I would definitely use them: not only do they model size/fit of your items, but they create height & interest in your booth.

0 Likes

I'm only a fan of dressing mannequins if they are too "naked" looking, e.g. with nipples, esp. shiny plastic ones!

other reason to dress mannequin is if you are a clothing designer, and then you dress them in your fashions. otherwise, it's distracting.
0 Likes

Krissyannedesigns -
I've posted a photo of the half lady on my blog in my latest post, from front and back to show how it looked on the table and how I clipped it.
http://onemorecraft.blogspot.com/
I'll be posting more photos later of my full booth on the 'booth pictures' thread here.
0 Likes

Very cool! Thank you for the picture, Glassy! I wonder if I should also use my white half-body one or if I should just stick with my no-armed black one :p I think I'm just going to have to turn my dining room into a craft show booth and see where that takes me :p
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.