Is this too risky?

Hi all,

I'm back for more advice! I have a take-it-or-leave-it decision to make about an upcoming show.

The organizer wants to include me, but basically all her slots are filled. So, she has said that if I'm interested, I can have a small space that adjoins the larger hall where all the other exhibitors are. I'd have the whole little room to myself, more than 3m to do what I like with, however, visitors would have to walk in there- it joins onto the main hall just through a doorway, up 2 steps.

Have any of you got experience with being in a spot that isn't immediately accessible to passersby? Can you advise me if this is worth trying, or an almost certain waste of my day?

I thought I'd ask for a reduction on the booth fee, though I don't know if the organizer will agree to that. I also thought perhaps I can hang my banner above the door, to make it really obvious to people that I'm in there- and the people who would just glance in from the doorway and say,'Oh, it's just jewelry' and walk away aren't my customers anyway, so it doesn't matter if they don't actually walk by my table. People who might buy are those that would glance and say, 'Oh, jewelry,' and come in to look.

Am I just being too optimistic in that way of thinking??

ETA: This would almost certainly be my last show of the year, hence why I don't want to give up on the idea too quickly...
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
35 Replies

Re: Is this too risky?

how much will it cost you?? That would be my deciding factor. And maybe you could make a cut sign to put outside with an arrow that says something like "more awesome stuff inside!" or something catchy and cute to grab attention.
0 Likes

I love the sign idea- I'll ask the organizer if I'd be allowed to do that.

I know you guys in the US are used to paying sometimes significant amounts for your spots at shows- my cost range is far lower, in fact most shows around here are free, so although the cost is only 30 euros (which probably sounds tiny!), that's equal to the most expensive show I've done before now.
0 Likes

What is your opportunity cost - meaning what else would you do that day?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I wouldn't do it. With people having to leave the main area, walking up a couple steps and into another doorway, I would imagine that most wouldn't even do it. any time I've been to or been part of a show, if there are people tucked away from the main area (especially if it's just one booth), there is not much traffic. You would probably get peekers-into-the-room types instead of real shoppers being exposed to your items.
0 Likes
FunandBaubles
Inspiration Seeker

on the other hand...a whole room! especially if you can get a discount on the space...

I think Suzy's question will be very important in making the decision.
0 Likes

I sometimes pay $35 a show and sometimes $150 so to me if it was $35 and I had nothing else to do that day I would probably do it.
I would take advantage of the space, maybe make it festive and bring some music to keep me company :)

It would get kinda lonely in that room though!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

In my experience, of doing shows for 16 years, if your spot is tucked away out of site from everyone else, you will get very little traffic.

Good signage "More crafts this way" with an ARROW, can help but still if there's one main room, many people will not read the sign and miss it.
BEFORE you pay, talk in detail to the organizer about signage. Will she make a sign, and where will it be place to catch people's attention?
I would make my own sign and bring it, just in case the organizer flakes out and doesn't get it done.

But if you can spare the time and the money, AND there is signage, it may be worth trying. You would have your foot in the door for a regular spot next year.

0 Likes

Thanks for all your responses. I'm visiting the hall with the organizer in a couple of hours, so I'll get a chance to look at the situation for myself, and ask her all these questions (so glad I posted on here as you've made me think of a couple of things I wouldn't otherwise have thought to ask!).

Regarding the opportunity risk, I wouldn't do anything special with the day otherwise- do a bit of jewelry work, but otherwise it would be a family day I imagine. I have to count the cost of two days, however, as because of health issues a show always knocks me out for another 24 hours after (the joys of CFS!).

Ekatrina and Dawn- that's kinda what I thought (it'd be like my own little shop for a day!)- I can imagine doing something nice with the space that could make it inviting and interesting... I'm looking forward to seeing the room itself to give me more solid ideas of what I could potentially do.
0 Likes

Tigersanddragons- Yup, if I have any kind of sign it'll have to be big enough for a blind person ten miles away to see it. In my experience, people don't read! I think I'd want to make the sign myself anyway, to be sure it's bright, eye-catching, clear etc. But I'll definitely talk to the organizer about it.
0 Likes
LizArti
Inspiration Seeker

I don't think I'd do it, unless it's a VERY popular show. Is the room large enough for other vendors? If there are at least a few of you, I think you'll have better traffic. And like others said - signage is key. And definitely, don't count on the organizer for the signs.

Have you ever been to the show?

I think you're probably better off asking to be put on the waiting list for the main hall. If it's a big show, someone's bound to cancel.
0 Likes

I just did a show where there were nooks and crannies all over the place, and I was in one of them with 4 other vendors. We saw 50% of the actual customers in the general area we were in, plus as soon as the entranceway to our specific area looked a little crowded, the people who did make their way to us took a look and then just skipped us altogether, not wanting to fight the crowd (I saw that happen all day).
I would advise you against this unless you are paying less than half of the booth fee that the others are. There was lots of signage but people don't read signs. (Maybe a neon sign with flashing arrows, but even then people probably won't want to go off the beaten path).
The whole room to yourself sounds attractive, but people who are shy of talking to vendors will not want to come in if it's empty, and people who are shy of crowds will not want to come in if it's crowded.
I think the waiting list is the way to go.
0 Likes
weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

Interesting mix of responses! I would add one more idea - do you have local customers you can contact? "Hey, come to the XYZ show, I"m going to have my own little room there and I would love to see you! Plus here's a coupon you can use for 10% off"..... or something. If you have loyal, local customers, this could work.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Any spot out of the mainstream is not a good bet. And, in a separate room all by yourself???? Kiss of death, IMO.
0 Likes

Don't do it. In my 30+ years of supporting myself selling at craft fairs I've found that being put in a separate space, away from the other artisans, equals no traffic. People tend to look at table level and not read signs. Have a nice day with your family and take care of your health. Ask the organizer if you could be put on a waiting list in case an artisan on the main floor drops out last minute.
0 Likes

Years ago we did a show for the first time and was put in a little side room with a few other vendors, needless to say our sales weren't great but we might have made booth space! The following year I signed up again (nothing else going on that weekend and I usually give a show two tries before scratching it off my list)
On arrival we were pleasantly surprised...the organizer had noticed our set-up the first year and moved us to a prime spot where everyone that enters the show has to walk by whether they are taking the elevator or the stairs to reach this upstairs show!
From that experience I would try a show like you are considering, if only as a stepping stone to get into the main stream for next year. Since she is showing you the space, I think she is already interested in having you there.
0 Likes

Personally it would be an easy decision if I were in this position - no way, for all the reasons previously stated.

Whenever I have a poor show my feeling is really that I could have spent my time more constructively, so I would ask yourself exactly that question.
0 Likes

I would say that if you want to try this show, the cost is not too high & that is all that is available this year, go for it. You will have your foot in the door & you can ask the other venders how they do as well. I would love to know you do, if you do do it. Good luck
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Outta sight, outta mind. If you're away from the main vendors, where all the shoppers are, you'll probably only get a fraction of people willing to take the time to walk down the hall, go through the doors, up a couple of steps to find you. If you're going to be tucked away from the main action, I would expect them to give you a good discount for your space, since you're not getting a premium space in the main hall with all the other vendors.

If we had nothing else to do that day, we'd probably do the show, but I wouldn't do it if the promoter expected me to pay the same price that the other vendors in the more premium locations are paying. Less visibility = less number of potential customers = less potential sales = promoter better give me a good discount to take the unseen space.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Like every other show, it's a matter of risk vs. reward. Ask yourself what you would be willing to live with. How disappointed would you be if it doesn't turn out? Is your investment worth the time and money? Could you make good use of your time if traffic is slow? Sometimes benefit is not only about the money. Might you meet some helpful people and make good connections? Could you get your foot in the door for a better spot next year?

Last fall I did a market for the first time and they had vendors upstairs for the first time. I was at the far end of the hall and it was raining outside that day. All things considered it should have been a disaster. Instead, my product was so good I had the best single sales day of my entire career while I watched other poor folks pack up and leave early. Sometimes you have to be bold, believe in yourself and your product, trust your gut and act on your instincts.

I wouldn't do it without a sign or some way to encourage traffic in that direction: balloons, ribbons, decorations--something fun and eye-catching. There's bold and then there's just plain stupid.

0 Likes

Thanks for all these responses!

I went and visited the hall with the organizer, and it's not what I'd thought she meant. I think it's better in a few ways. Basically, it turns out the steps are the steps at the side of a stage, and the 'little room' is actually the stage of the hall we'll all be in.

She said she'll have the curtains open and the spotlights on if I want them, so basically I'll be elevated above everyone else and visible from anywhere in the hall. Visitors will still have to go up steps to actually reach me, but it will be very obvious that I'm there, and I have all the space I want.

So, I decided to go ahead and do the show. I wimped out on asking for a discount (I'm rubbish at things like that), but really I feel like it's not as disadvanted a spot as I'd imagined, and the fee is not crazy to begin with.

I feel pretty much how Linda described- it gets my foot in the door, and I have no other shows booked to finish the year on otherwise. It's a small event, in terms of number of booths, but I have a good feeling about it, the organization and jurying and advertising all seem to be carefully done, and I just want to give it a try. Even if it's slow, I always use quiet times at shows to work, so I can get more items made.

I'll let you all know how it turns out!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i did a show with the exact type of situation. they was a big main room and two steps up onto a stage where I and one other vendor (also jewelry) were located. People avoided going up those two steps like the plague. For every 10 people that walked by maybe ONE would actually come up. I hope you do much better than we did. I think i may have made the booth fee back but that was it. GOOD LUCK!!
0 Likes

It does sound like a better situation that before but as TheSilverMoon stated, not super promising. People will be able to look at your stuff from afar.

I say still do it, you never know what will happen. But maybe they could get a couple other vendors up there with you?

One thing I would suggest is to make sure you have lot of inventory. I think people will be more willing to come visit you if they see you have a lot of items vs minimal stuff.

Too bad you aren't a food vendor so you could reel them in with free samples or something lol
0 Likes

That's just what I was thinking, Dawn! I'm already getting busy making more items, so I can have a nice full display to tempt people closer. You're so right about the food vendor part, too. I've always noticed how, no matter how badly anyone else does at a show, the food vendors ALWAYS do well!

TheSilverMoon, I must admit I am quite worried about that happening. But I'm going to just try to be optimistic, and do all I can to have a really interesting display, since you just never know! Fingers crossed!
0 Likes

Last year I did a new show for me. It was similar to my large one that I'm doing this weekend so I thought I would do really well. I didn't... it was a huge bust (not to mention 2 hours from home) and I had a food vendor next to me. A lady selling nuts so she was offering samples to everyone that walked by. She was the nicest person and such a sweetheart that eventually she would tell people "here have a sample and then go next door and buy some neat stuff!" Sadly it didn't help me but I appreciated it! lol
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.