Former_Member
Not applicable

How to start up a conversation at a fair?

So I have my first craft fair in a couple days. I'm pumped but I little uneasy about it, since this is my first "real" show. My question is, how do you start up a conversation with other shoppers and sellers? I'm from the south..I can talk a LOT (lol) but I'm unsure about just chatting away with customers without making it sound like a sales pitch. Any advice?

Thanks so much (:
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: How to start up a conversation at a fair?

Be yourself...:)
People will ask you about your work because they want to know not just to be polite...so let your passion shine!
Craft fairs are very community oriented...even the big ones. It's almost a subculture, IMO, of artists and crafters and their customers. If you can talk to anyone with a similar interest as you, you'll have no problems!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've learned some tell tale signs as to whether people are willing to chat a little bit. To be honest, I'm still working on being a little chattier :)

Anyway, I always greet people when they walk into my booth. I've found that there are usually three kinds of people:

1. I say, "Hello" and the person says, "Hi" but walks immediately out of the booth. I always feel really awkward when this happens. . .

2. I say, "Hello" and the person says, "Hi" in return but doesn't look at me they keep looking at my stuff.

3. I say, "Hello" and the person says, "Hi" in return and looks at me when they say it. Thankfully, I think most people fall into this category and these are the people who will usually chat it up. If not immediately maybe some time during their visit to the booth.

Don't worry and have fun! Even though I'm not too chatty, one of my favorite parts is meeting other people at shows. I would love to run into some chatty :)
0 Likes
DoBatsEatCats
Inspiration Seeker

I agree with Elizabeth -- you will learn to read signals of whether someone wants to chat or be left alone.

Although the worst is when you say "Hello" and they respond with an angry "I'm just looking!" Uh.... I just said "hello," how about a hello back?!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm probably the complete opposite. I have a very difficult time talking to people. Only thing I can seem to manage is a hello, a small smile, and ask if they're looking for anything specific. If they say they're just looking then I smile and leave them alone. If they mention that they're looking for their (daughter, grand daughter, etc) then I give my short spiel on the grippies that I attach to my hair clips and how great they work. I always try to make it short and brief because I don't want to waste their time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I read these great suggestions on another craft fair thread... haven't tried them yet but they sound perfect!

"Compliment something about the customer. I had a vendor next to me that would very sincerely say something nice to each customer like... Your bag is so pretty or I love the color of your sweater. Something to draw them in and it worked most of the time. "

"People LOVE when you compliment their babies! When I see someone carrying a baby I always say: 'Oooh! What a cute baby! What booth did you buy her at?!' Yes - I know it's totally cheesy - but that dang phrase has made so many people stop and laugh and, more importantly, look/buy."
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is where I struggle the most-talking with people. I'm getting better at judging who wants to be spoken to, but it's the how much that's hard to determine. I've been taking the soft approach, greeting them after they've settled into my space, and kept it minimal until they seem to want to talk. I feel awkward complimenting everyone-I never want it to feel like it's not sincere. With practice, it's getting easier. I just try to keep it brief (unless they cue you otherwise) and informative.
0 Likes
PrettyMuchArt
Inspiration Seeker

I usually just give a 'hi' and a very generic statement about the weather, or what a nice show this is, or a how are you doing today... or like Anya said a compliment on something they're wearing or carrying, especially if it looks handmade. Then I'll just say 'let me know if you have any questions", or "let me know if there's anything I can help you with". Then I back off. I know that's what I like when I'm looking around, I don't like to be cornered into listening to a sales pitch.
0 Likes

Same here. I'm far from chatty. Friendly yes, talkative no. :-) I say, "Hi, if there's anything I can help you with, please let me know". And if they start with the small talk, I jump right in, but I leave it to them to start so I don't seem pushy.
As a shopper, I don't like going into a booth and having the person start asking all kinds of questions and telling me about each item I look at. If I want to know something, I'll do the asking. And I'm usually concentrating on the items and what/how I would place/use them, so being interrupted usually annoys me.
0 Likes

I agree that too much talk is distracting to a buyer. I always greet a buyer, maybe exchange a few words & then let them browse for a while.

I sell at a wonderful outdoor waterfront market in the summer. It is easy to be friendly & cheerful while i am there.
0 Likes

I'm super shy and have a very hard time with this. usually I don't say anything and just smile or stay busy working on something so that i don't feel like I'm annoying the shoppers... probably not the best route to go though...
0 Likes

I always say hello to everyone that walks into my space or up to my tables. If they don't look up as they answer, then I just leave them alone. If a person is there a while looking, I will say 'please let me know if I can answer any questions for you'. Sometimes they will ask one, sometimes they wont. If a person has on jewlery or a bag that I like, I will compliment them on it and they will usually talk about where they got it (I'm a bag fanatic). Then you get the people who want to talk so much you can't get rid of them so that you can attend to other customers and that's another issue. You'll learn as you go.
0 Likes

I started doing fairs with a friend, selling her soaps and bath bombs, etc.
She was a) not a morning person, b) not talkative at all, c) very shy (blushed easily) and d) a terrible seller who didn't like answering questions! :)

I would banish her to the back of the tent to pack or wrap or make change and I did all the banter and chatter up front. Unsurprisingly her sales when I worked with her were much higher than when she was alone.

For those of you not comfortable striking up conversation can you have a friend who is comfortable doing that be there with you? Even for part of the day? You might learn something from them. :)
0 Likes

When in doubt, compliments hardly ever fail to make a browser feel at ease. Something like "Oh! I like your earrings!" :) Just make sure you're genuinely you.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Give compliments!!! I am a mail carrier by day and some people scowl at me until I give them a huge grin and Hi!!!! Then I say Omg I love your hair, your ring, shoot the way your socks are tucked, ANYTHING!!! People love compliments. And if they are looking let em look . Even if they don't remember anything they will remember your personality. They call me the sweet little girl LOL.... Btw I have done wedding shows before and I would ask them when they were getting married how they got engaged etc. For my gift show I am hoping to ask if they are looking for anything in particular and then telling them where to find it if I don't have it or they don't like mine.... Think Miracle on 34th Street. But that is just my personality lol
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

awww take it easy I am sure it'll go well for you! :)

I usually greet them and compliment them then when they get closer I introduce my items lool.. the weather is def a good topic esp in the UK coz it changes every sec.. customers mostly ask you something and it just opens up convos :D
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Learn to read the person and your demographic (target person) it will help alot. Big stores use this , why not you. Also work on your Elevator Line (about 30 second intro). Mine is " Hello my name is Amy.I am a native to Tampa and all the photos were taken locally." Its starts a conversation. I also know alot of the local history of the area so if a question is asked I can answer and connect to the person.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

A tactic I found online that I'm going to be trying out at my next few shows (first one is tonight, I'm so excited!!) is first allowing the customer to look for a moment and get a feel for the space. This probably applies more to an actual booth than a table set up, but it's still good to give them a moment or two so it doesn't seem like you're immediately jumping on them.

Then greet them and make a statement rather than asking a question. That way they don't feel obligated to talk to you. I tend to be the customer who *hates* any sales pitch at all, or if the person in the booth seems to want to talk my ear off. If someone is clearly attempting to engage me or sell to me it makes me uncomfortable and I'd rather leave the booth than stick around for any more pressure. On the other hand, there are those customers who think it's rude if you don't greet them or say anything.

My greeting is probably going to be "Hello, if I can help you let me know!" then continue what I had previously been doing so they don't feel like I'm going to stand there and stare them down.

I'm horribly shy so I have to pump myself up before a show and kind of get into character as the charming artist who loves to smile and talk about her work.

I still have no idea what to say about my work. I'm so bad at that... and saying "I make things because I think they're pretty!" isn't very interesting, lol!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.