Plantcycled
Registered Buyer

How to deal with displays and dogs

So I have a different type of problem that I have been running into at my weekly shows in Boston. It is an outdoor market that allows people to bring their dogs. Now I have no problem with this, as I love dogs and most of them a well mannered, however yesterday and at my last show I have had people just let their dogs pee all over my canvas king canopy sand tent weights.

The first time I fully cleaned them with a cleaner made for pet urine and it removes the scent to deter remarking. But it happened again yesterday and I am furious. The owner deliberately just stood there and watched his dog pee all over both of tent weights, once my helper finally noticed she stood up, and the guy looked at her and ran away without saying anything. Ugh! Needless to say they are both ruined. Plus several other dogs were sniffing throughout the day.

I am fed up with this, I cant keep an eye out on every single dog and once they lift their leg, even if I run over to stop them, they will still spray before I can stop them.

I am buying new ones today, but I need advice on what would be the best way to deter dogs from peeing all over your stuff. Do you use a certain kind of spray deterrent?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
28 Replies

Re: How to deal with displays and dogs

Most dogs detest citronella. Nature's miracle makes a spray called "No More Marking" that seems to work well. You can find at places like Petsmart, or Petco, or online. I would suggest spraying it a few times throughout the day. It doesn't smell bad to people, I think it smells pretty good, but it does seem to keep dogs from nosing around.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jennifer's idea sounds good. A spray of some sort that dogs detest just might keep them from "nosing" around.

Also, ever go into a antique store & see a sign that says "if you break it, you bought it"?

Well, how about putting up a sign by your weights that says "We charge fee's if your dog pee's", lol.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Mike's idea is perfect - just leave out the apostrophes! It's a light way of letting people know, without offending anyone.
0 Likes
Plantcycled
Registered Buyer

Thank you! I will look for the citronella spray today. and I love that sign Mike, I am going to have to make those signs and hang them by my weights.

It is just sad that people do this, I have seen people let their dogs pee on large expensive paintings and just walk away once their dog is done, as well as other people's display pieces. It is just gross.
0 Likes

Bring a bigger, scarier dog. :-) You can borrow my mastiff. She loves people but other dogs won't go near her. :-)

Seriously though...that Nature's Miracle spray is perfect.
0 Likes

I feel your pain...Bruce hand carved a chair from a tree - it took him 100+ hours to carve and finish the chair. The chair sits on the ground in the front of our tent and is a great attention getter. Whenever a dog gets near the chair I watch it closely and tell the owner to pull the dog away even if he just sniffs the chair.

I will look into the ideas presented above so I do not have to be so paranoid.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ashley, another idea came to mind. Pick up some disposable plastic painters sheets from Home Depot or Lowe's. I use these to cover the top of our canopy when doing outdoor shows to protect against rain.

Anyway, these are thin clear plastic sheets that are around 9' x 20' or so. Cut them into small sections and wrap them around your weight bag. If a dog pees on your weights unnoticed, he'll be peeing on the plastic instead of your bag. At the end of the show, throw the plastic away & your weight bags should remain unscathed.

0 Likes
Plantcycled
Registered Buyer

That is another great solution Mike and Cindy, and it will be very helpful, just in case I forget to respray my weights with the citronella. Thank you for the suggestion!
0 Likes

LOL...A benefit of plastic is that if you secure it tight, the rude owner and dog will both have to deal with some splashback....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Speaking of splashback Jennifer, how about Ashley gets some small fans. Put the fans by the weights & point them outward.

Then, when the pooch feels the need, both he & his owner will get sprayed, lol.
0 Likes
Plantcycled
Registered Buyer

Yes! Or how about rigging up some of those spraying deterrents, the ones that will spray water or something sticky out of it if a dog gets too close. I would die laughing at the reaction of the dog and owner if the dog went to mark my tent.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I sell single wash raw wool that still has a bit of lanolin and have some on display in a basket in front of my spinning wheel. That is like crack for city dogs. The couple of times this has happened to my table clothe corners the owners weren't being rude their attention was elsewhere as they looked at my stuff in the tent. They were embarrassed when I interrupted their dog. My advice on the spot is to pour water all over the pee, it helps to dilute it immediately giving you time to wash the pee out later and seems to keep the smell from setting in.
0 Likes

Ashley, while it could be funny, it could also cause a lot of issues. My male dog likes to sniff, he rarely marks on anything that isn't a plant, unless tons of dogs have, such as the wall outside of Petsmart...it is actually stained with urine. But, he sniffs everything...people...cars...birds...everything.
He is also terrified, horrified, has panic attacks when it comes to water. It takes me sitting in the bathtub and holding him while my fiancée washes him to even get him to be calm enough to bathe...and even then, he is crying and shaking the entire time. We have had him since he was 7 weeks old...he has never had a bad water experience, never been near drowning, never been alone in the water. We have bathed him every other weekend for over 2 years...it gets no better. He is just terrified.
So, if he was sniffing something and he got sprayed in the face with water...I would lose it on the vendor. Because it would cause severe emotional distress to my dog, which can cause physical distress. He would likely then damage stuff near him as he tried to get away from the water and away from me. It would probably take me about 5 minutes to even calm him enough to be able to get him out of the booth.

As a dog owner, I believe dog owners should watch their dogs, or be financially responsible for anything their dog ruins. If my dog marked a tablecloth at a market, I am the type of person that would pay for it. But, I am also the type of person who called the cops on a lady who kept spraying my dog with water because he kept getting too close to where she was sitting (mind you, we were in an off-leash dog park).
0 Likes
Plantcycled
Registered Buyer

Thankfully I had extra water on hand and poured it all over the weights as soon as I found out about it happening, I also carry a bottle of Rug Doctor urine eliminator with me. It is supposed to remove the stain, sanitize and get rid of the smell. But I guess it didn't fully work since dogs were sniffing them like crazy all day.

Also relax Desirea, I was only joking. I wouldn't do that to dogs seeing as I love animals.
0 Likes

I have had this problem myself in the past. I too am getting some spray! What a great idea. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that myself as I use it home to keep cats away from the front of my house!!!! DA! Boy, sometimes you just have to spend some time here on teams and forums on Etsy to get so much smarter!!!! Thanks, Jennifer!
0 Likes

Run a small electric current up the leg of your tent.

Not a dog person, I admit it. Buy why to people bring dogs places they don't belong? Nothing about being hot and thirsty and crowded all day sounds appealing to a dog. My daughters are afraid and therefore if someone brings a dog around your booth I will be skipping you. And I bet I'm not the only one. I tell people I have allergies so they keep away.
0 Likes

I don't understand why shows allow dogs either. Especially ones that are the antiques/junk type. They have all sorts of stuff laying on the ground in piles and I bet that's pee heaven for dogs!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Here's an idea to make some $ from this situation.

Make ceramic fire hydrants & sell those. Place them all over the ground of your space.

Put up a little sign that says "If you pee on it, you bought it".

Let the dogs pee, make $.
0 Likes

Good to know beforehand that there are waves of peeing dogs in Boston. I'll be armed and ready for next month!
0 Likes
RomaMiaTradingCo
Inspiration Seeker

Have you mentioned something about this to the fair's organizers? Maybe they can just have signs posted around saying to watch their dogs to NOT pee on people's tents (or something along those lines). If other people are having this issue, the organizers might just have to ban the dogs.

But I like the idea of posting signs on the outside of your tent.

This is unfortunate and gross that you have their issue.
0 Likes

I always run over and stand between an approaching dog and my tent legs. A few people who let their dogs wander and mark have glared at me but others smile and think I'm just friendly and greeting them. I agree with the cover with plastic solution. Every outdoor show that I have been to that allowed dogs had at least one big dog fight erupt. BAD idea to take dogs into areas with crowds of people, unpredictable dogs, and children.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Mine won't be a popular reply, but I do not attend events where animals are aloud to free range with the owners.

I have seen a friends paintings pee'd on and dogs fighting with in a canopy area. I am a pet lover also, and I would think to bring my dog to an event, leashed and un able to rest in a shady quiet area.

I think ppl who bring their animals to out door events are seeking attention through their pets being petted.
0 Likes
LizArti
Inspiration Seeker

Crudeco, I for one agree with you. I will attend and vend at events that allow animals, but I always wonder what sort of person would subject their dog to the heat, loud sounds and crowded streets at some of these events. It's obviously not in the animal's best interest. I believe that my dog is happier home alone.
0 Likes

I think that sort of depends on the dog. My mastiff would be scared, miserable, and it would be a disaster. My shiba loves to be outside, no matter how hot, loves to see people, loves to walk around, loves crowded areas. He walks around downtown San Diego with a huge grin on his face, tail wagging (which is so weird on a dog with a curled tail), and overjoyed any time anyone acknowledges him.
So, I get why people would bring their dogs with them...some dogs like it.

But, as a vendor, I am not sure I would vend at an event that allowed pets...for the same reason...pee and crochet do not mix well.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.