Former_Member
Not applicable

Get People Looking At Your Website or Blog After the Craft Show!

Hi everyone. This post is kind of an answer to my own question I posted back in November. I had just done a show and was wondering why so many people were stopping, complementing my work, asking about it, and then just walking away without buying. There were some key factors playing into the low sales, the main one I think being that it was a new show and they did very little advertising. It was a slow, quiet show. That was on me for not investigating the show before-hand. It was a fundraiser, though, and our booth fees went to a good cause. I read all the responses to my previous post and have thought a lot about it. I enjoy doing the shows. I am a very social person, but I am a stay at home mom and also do all my creating from home. It can be pretty lonely and isolating at times (and absolutely lovely the rest of the time!). So the occasional shows I do are something I look forward to. They push me to finish any unfinished projects and get things organized. I don't want to stop doing the shows, but need to find other ways to make them productive than only selling. It seems to me that a majority of craft show customers are actually crafters themselves. So they are sometimes just coming to the shows for inspiration (which is just fine, we all need to feel inspired). The compliments are genuine, but sometimes they really would rather know how you made that than to actually purchase. They might want to make one, too. So, if you have a product that you don't mind sharing the instructions for, post them on your website or blog right before the show. Then, at the show if someone is only interested to know how it was done, you can direct them to your site. It will up your traffic, and might even lead to a sale, or at least a share, a like, a pin, or a new follower. Don't forget to add a link to your Etsy shop! You could also add a donate button to your page. I've donated to bloggers whose info I really enjoyed. I also follow a blogger who says he makes quite a bit of money from the donations. It's a win-win situation. Sharing your craftiness is always appreciated, and so are new followers. I don't think I would do this with an extremely unique idea for a product that you are actively trying to sell. But one thing people were loving at my booth were Christmas cards that I had made. I wouldn't mind sharing the instructions for my painting technique, so the next show I do I will try this out and see how it works. You could also offer to teach a class. Anyone have any other ideas for making the shows more profitable even if you don't make as many sales as you would have liked?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
14 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Get People Looking At Your Website or Blog After the Craft Show!

You know I attended a couple of shows last year that were VERY well attended -- hundreds and hundreds of people walking around but no one was carrying a bag. None of the vendors did very well. I think it was the economy and all of that, people are hanging onto their money. I embroider which is something that most crafters can't really do (the machines are pretty expensive) so I don't have the folks asking me how I did it. Their comment is usually "You did this yourself??? I'm fighting the temptation to do the same show again this year. It's not terribly expensive ($60) and they DO a lot of advertising in Sacramento, so it is very well attended with families with kids and all of that. Still don't know if I'm going to do it, but I might.

I hand out business cards by the dozens and dozens even to folks that don't buy from me, and I do notice a slight bump in searches within a few days afterwards. We all know that most of those cards go into the round file, but you just never know when one will hit the mark.

I've thought about making You Tube videos on how to crochet and all of that, but then I would have to have someone else record it, edit it, post it, etc. etc. I'm not that good at that. My granddaughter has the expertise and knowledge to do it, but they live about 3 hours away, so that leaves me out of that market.

Grrrrrr.... this business out of the home thing is harder than it seems, huh? I've made a commitment to myself to absolutely make this work, but it's so much work. All day. Every day. Anything that we can do to make it better, that's what we do.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Those are interesting ideas to get people to visit your blog. It depends on your craft, but I wouldn't teach a class unless I could arrange/afford proper insurance, or teach at a facility that has arranged liability insurance. It is surprising how often people hurt themselves when in an art/craft class, and I've seen some real doozies.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Great idea for the ideas you don't mind sharing. What is the donate button all about? Is that just for blogs? I don't have one as I'm just starting. Thanks for the thread. Looking forward to hearing what everyone else has to add.

Any other ways to draw to your website? Actually, I only have facebook at this time for mine and it's kind of under construction (along with my Etsy shop) as I'm changing my product line pretty drastically.

Happy sales to all!
0 Likes

The donate button is usually provided by Paypal, from what I remember seeing on other blogs or websites. You can pretty much place it on any site you want, blog or fix website.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Those are wonderful ideas to help expand your sales and if you are a crafter where you can make kits or instruction booklets packaged with the completed item or sample item, it may help get a few sales at the shows.
Elizabeth, your wall art is beautiful and should do great at shows but, I agree with Emma. I think it has a lot to do with the economy but, I am hoping this year is different. I will be doing a few shows, this year, myself. It's been 10 years so I am nervous.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I do craft fairs/festivals and pass out cards/postcards with photos of my items. It has driven a lot of traffic to my website. I plan to have a ecommerce store open by March 15.I have found that it has lead people back to me for custom work and also helped build a audience on etsy.
0 Likes

I have a QR code on my business cards as well as posted in my booth. They get used quite often and bring in a lot of web traffic.
0 Likes

Great idea on adding Etsy to the website. I just adding my Etsy store link to my website. :)

Cindy, I just ordered my second set of business cards and could have had the QR code added. Just wasn't sure about it at the time. Now that my website's up and going I wish I would have. Next order I will.
0 Likes

What is a QR code?
0 Likes
LizArti
Inspiration Seeker

"WHAT'S A QR CODE?

A QR Code (it stands for "Quick Response") is a cell phone readable bar code that can store website URL's, plain text, phone numbers, email addresses and pretty much any other alphanumeric data."

They're those black and white bit mapped boxes that you see all over.
0 Likes

Thank you--I don't know the proper "lingo" yet!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I didn't know what it was either, Pam. :)
0 Likes

I didn't know either what the QR button was! I'm getting so smart reading these posts! Thanks!
0 Likes

Thanks for the ideas and the explanation of QR! Learn something new everyday!

With my yarn a lot of people have to look up a pattern/ think about it, so passing out cards does help.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.