Former_Member
Not applicable

First Craft Show....now or wait for it?

Hey there! I am still new to Etsy, new to selling, still working on inventory, and getting everything I need to look professional. My question is, there is a craft show in my town next month and I have been considering it. It doesn't seem to be a huge art show or anything just a fall street fair. Now, there is a lot of marketing items I don't have that I feel I need. I have business cards, bags and proper ways to wrap the items. I would still like to get a banner with my business name, create custom order forms and buy "free" items to give away with my business on them. I feel like I could use the experience but I also feel I am better off waiting until I know I have everything I want to have, have more inventory and should maybe look into something around the holidays or even spring of 2017? Whats your opinion? How long did you wait? What types of things did you definately need to have with you that you didn't ( or did) the first time you did a show or fair? FYI, I sell hemp jewelry so I also feel I need to be in front of the right people so I would need to pick and choose wisely. I am not sure about that but I could use some direction. Thank you so much!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies

Re: First Craft Show....now or wait for it?

Holly, I looked at your shop and see that you are in Pennsylvania, so my advise would be to wait a bit and find an indoor show. Even if you have a tent, weights, and someone to help you, an outdoor show is quite a bit to take on for your first time. Weather is always a gamble. And if you don't have those things, deciding what you want and acquiring them may take more time and money than you want to spend for the last outdoor show of the season.

If you decide to wait, go to the fair and ask the vendors about shows in local schools closer to the holidays. Depending on the space assigned you will just need a table or two and can focus on how you want to display your jewelry. I think a banner is a great investment, and of course business cards, which you have. Just my opinion, but I don't think you need giveaways. Attactive packaging and your cards are enough.
0 Likes

Do you need the things that are hanging you up? I doubt it. I have never had a banner, in fact I dislike them. Why do you think that you should be giving freebies, especially ones that you have bought? Custom order forms, why?
No matter how well you prepare, you will never be as prepared as you want to be, ever. The first show is a scary thing. I say go for it and get that first one under your belt and some experience to build on for next year.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think you should try it. Just be sure you have the "basics" you need for an outdoor show: tent with sides, weights, tables, displays for your jewelry, bags, business cards, etc.

You don't need giveaways. Trust in your handcrafted jewelry.

You don't need a banner. I got one and decided it was a waste of money.

You probably won't need custom order forms. People at craft shows generally want instant gratification and very few will place an order for future delivery. I used to sell personalized stuff and found that very few ordered. And, when someone did, it took a lot of time to fill out the order form, explain their options, etc. I probably lost paying customers because I was busy with a custom order. Have paper and pen with you in case someone really is interested in placing an order.

You'll learn WAY more about what you really need at show by participating in one.

Don't let being in Pennsylvania stop you. October is a beautiful time of year here. I've lived in PA all my life (originally from Emmaus) and, in fact, lived in Center Valley while my daughters were growing up (they both went to Southern Lehigh High School). I'm now in Bloomsburg, but I get down there often as both my daughters are still down there (one has just started building a house in Coopersburg).

I run a Facebook Group: PA Craft Shows. You might want to join the group. It's a great way to find shows in Pennsylvania.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PACraftShows/

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do!
0 Likes

I'd say dive in and give it a try - you definitely don't need custom order forms (just bring a carbon sales book, you likely won't even need it), a banner, or free stuff. All you need is a tent with weights (we borrowed one for our first show), your merchandise, a decent display that is not just your items laying flat on a table with a sheet over it, and a good attitude. By the end of the weekend you'll know a lot more about what you need for the next time, and you'll have the opportunity to chat with the other vendors about good shows in your area. October is one of my favorite times of year for outdoor shows!
0 Likes

Hi! I'm from York. If you don't have a tent you should try an indoor show. I do pretty good at some of the larger high school shows. Your jewelry looks like it would appeal to younger people and there are a lot of students/parents shopping at those shows.

0 Likes

I agree about the order forms, it's probably unlikely you will need them and you can write out the info on a receipt in a pinch.
Family and friends often have tents and tables you can borrow.
Instead of a banner you can print a nice little sign and put it in an inexpensive frame or attach it to part of your display--thrift stores and places like Ross often have good knick nack stuff for good prices.
The more shows you do, the more you will find what works and what doesn't. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is all really great advice and insight. Thank you. You're right in thinking I dont need freebies and order forms...but I do want a banner and don't need it for my first show. I really do want the experience. Also, I don't know anyone that has one and I would be able to purchase one I suppose. What's a standard size that would work for most shows? This is so exciting!
0 Likes

2 feet by 3 feet or so is pretty standard, I got mine from Vistaprint. Next time I'm going to get one that has lots of photos and fits the length of the booth but I haven't gotten around to designing it yet since I've been doing a lot of ren faires and have a separate, hand painted sign I use for that booth....
0 Likes

If your table ends up surrounded by a hoard of jewelry buyers you will be happy to have a banner so passers by will know they need to stand in line to see you! Go for the banner. But skip the freebies and make an order form on Word and print a dozen copies.

You may as well start now and then make good notes after about what you need next time. Shows are always a lttle bit of stress. You are putting yourself out there to be judged and evaluated. I have only ever had people say nice things, but it is a risk.

Good luck and have fun. It is a rush when people are holding your things and talking about how pretty they are.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I got the banner I used to use from VistaPrint. They are fairly inexpensive and you can get anything you want on them. The size you'll need will depend on where you want to put it. When using a tent, a lot of people hang it from the top of the tent frame - either outside at the front of the tent or inside at the back of the tent. Keep in mind that, for indoor shows, you won't have the tent frame so your sign will need to go elsewhere. The option I see most people use (and the one I used myself) was to attach it to the front of the tablecloth on my largest table. While I believe a banner has some value when used in coordination with a tent, when you move indoors and have no where to go with it except on the front of your table, they are noticed and readable only when your booth is empty. If people are looking at your stuff, they block the banner. If you can figure out a better way to display the banner at an indoor show, then it's worth it.
0 Likes

Don't bother with a banner unless it is required by the show (and if it is double check that it really is............I bought a banner for a specific show because it stated in their rules that it was required, then did the show and saw that at least 50% of other vendors did not have a banner).

If I could do it over, I personally would not invest in a banner for my first show. I did buy one the first time but rarely use it now and then had to buy a new one per specific rules of a show I did and then did not end up using that one. Quite a bit of money spent on banners that I do not use now.

No giveaways needed.

If you really feel the need for order forms, just get a receipt pad from an office supply store or Walmart. Only cost a few dollars. These are two part forms that you can write on and keep one copy and give one to buyer. But most likely you are not going to need order forms.

If the event is near you and not costly to be a part of, then I would say go for it! It is a good experience but try not to invest too much money in things for that first show. Try to get buy with the bare minimum as you will most likely want to make changes if you continue doing shows.

Most important is to have a pleasing and organized table display.
Try to be creative with this and develop a them that goes with your items.

Good luck!
0 Likes

We bought a pack of 5"x7" 2-part order forms at Staples for a few dollars, we use it for the occasional special order, or the rare customer that wants a paper receipt.

More importantly, do you have a credit card processor? We've always used Square. Many customers want to buy with cards. Lots more info on this if you're interested, just ask and the group will respond!
0 Likes

I say go for it! As many others have said before, sounds like you have the basic things that you really need covered, and giving stuff away, is not going to help you, not when you are trying to sell handcrafted items. Trying a show will help you more than trying to guess what you need to do.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I say go for it also! I have only done/am doing small shows this year as I am new to the craft fair biz also and actually being out there is a great learning curve- it's a lot of fun, along with a lot of stress and hard work, but I love it!
0 Likes

We were in your exact situation a couple years ago. We did our research on the shows/fairs in our area and starting preparing. We found a couple checklist in the teams and Pinterest which gave us the basic items we should have. Like you we believe that our knit/crochet products would sell better once customers were able to touch them.

Granted we did purchase a banner because the fair required, as sometime the banner is a pain.

Our tent was from SAMs Club and worked well easy to set up with only on person. We made our own weights from Pinterest options. We don't use custom forms, we do have a notebook to write down names and email addresses of potential custom orders. We do have a small receipt book. Most customers we have encountered that paid cash have not asked for reciept. When using Square (or your chose of credit card reader) it offers a reciept option.

We did find that business cards do help. Most of our customers ask for one. We also provide one in each bag of a item sold.

Everything is just our experience, I am not saying it is the correct way to do a fair. I am sure others are more experienced than we are.

The other huge assistance came from talking with other vendors at the show/fair. We enjoy doing the fairs/shows they are fun.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

You can just buy sheets of white business cards at Staples, and print off your own business cards to start.
0 Likes

There is nothing wrong with starting out small and growing. My friend is joining me for her first craft show. It's a small show I do at a church every year. She says she suddenly needs this, and that, and everything in between. She didn't even have a business name - honestly it's not really needed for this event. But she was obsessed with it. Then she needed a sign.. and she need this... and that..... and I told her to basically chill out.

I remember that feeling... like I needed to be SO prepared and be SO professional, but going out and spending all that money can really bite you in the butt. And I feel like sellers don't really know who they are until they've been in the game for awhile. I changed my whole style maybe 2 years in.

All you need is a table cover, inventory and the cash to get you through a show.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.