Former_Member
Not applicable

Fanny Pack or Cash Box

Do you prefer to bring a cash box or a fanny pack to your outdoor craft shows?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
26 Replies

Re: Fanny Pack or Cash Box

I usually use a zippered bag just big enough to keep a small bank of cash I figure I will need for change , along with other show essentials. I like to have a bag, similar to a fanny pack,so that I can keep it on me, if I start to accumulate cash,
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Please don't use a cashbox! I have seen the money stolen twice, and both times, the vendor was in tears. We took up a collection to get them some of their money back. The safest thing to do is keep your paper money, and credit card forms on you, in a money apron, in order, by denomination, or small purse that straps around your waist, and keep loose change in a bowl. It's much safer! One trick they use that I've mentioned before, is the adult occupies you while their child goes under the tablecloth, where the cashbox is!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Definitely Apron or fanny pack. Keep your money on your body at all times, then you don't have to worry about it. Sometimes I wear mine even when packing up, because I know people who have had cases/boxes gone missing during that period, especially if there is a lot of back and forth where not all your goods are being watched at all times.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

tigers. Mine doesn't come off until I'm home, or at the bank! Thankfully, I guess we've learned from other vendor's sad experiences.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Paper money goes in my front jeans pocket. If I leave to walk around, I hand the bills to Cindy and they go in her jeans pocket. When I get back, she hands the $ back to me and back in my front pocket they go.

Any coins for change sits under my soap risers. It's only a few $ in loose change, and that's only when we're at shows in states where sales tax has to be collected.

Credit cards are handled by our Square, so we don't have any paper receipts to deal with.
0 Likes

Fanny Pack or in my pockets if I have those type clothes on. Never a cash box or bag that is not attached to me. Coins I keep in a bowl under a table where it cannot be reached from the front of the table.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Some use fanny packs or specially made cash aprons, like they sell for restaurant servers. I use my front pockets. But NEVER use a cash box. You might as well just put up a sign in your booth that says "I'm a cash box, please steal me".

I'll try to keep this clean & professional, but as a man, even if I'm distracted or paying attention to something else, if anyone reaches for my front pockets or touches me anywhere near my front pockets, I'm gonna feel it. That's what I would call my "man alarm", lol.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

That's one thing I love about the vendor's apron that was custom made, it has zippers across the deep pockets, so money can't fall out, and other people can't easily grab money out if they are standing close to me.

We keep small change in vintage change dispenser, like waitresses and meter maids used to wear. Doesn't have a spot for pennies, but pennies are no longer used in Canada anyways.
0 Likes

I use a cash drawer with a lock, designed to be used with a cash register. However I just use the drawer. I put it under my table but I'm planning to use some holes already in the bottom to screw it onto a shelf unit I'm designing to function as a wrap/checkout station. I keep a close eye on it, and keep the key on a bracelet I wear. I know most people are more comfortable with an apron, but the cash register drawer works best for me.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Charlie. If you get a run of customers, you won't have time to lock and unlock the box after each transaction! I'm often trying to make change for two or three people at once! I work too hard for my money, to let some creep steal it.
0 Likes

Carol, that's a great point. I unfortunately haven't ever been that busy :-( but I should plan for that and hope for the best! Thanks for the tip.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm cringing as I read these posts because I use a cash box and not even a big, hefty cash box, but a cute little red cash box that makes it even easier to walk away never to be seen again! I guess I was also going with the reasoning that I am not a busy booth and I do small shows- I am now going to start looking at vendor aprons and use my cash box to keep pens or candy or something in it that is not my hard earned money!
0 Likes

I use a cash box for my change. I keep folding money on my person. Its less than $20 at risk and I do keep it out of sight. Most times my mom works with me and she handles wrapping and chatting while I do the math. I'll be doing my first solo show this summer so we will see if I change my procedures.
0 Likes

I use a fanny pack. I keep my cash, id and a few other essentials in it, like lip balm and hand lotion. It stays on me at all times, money right in front.
0 Likes
TextileTrolley
Inspiration Seeker

Vendor apron, that I made myself. I put a small amount of coins in a coin purse that I also carry on me. I'm like Carol that apron stays on me until I am safely locked in my car and driving home!!!

Invest in a vendor apron you won't regret it! I put a snap on the pocket where my money is but the next one I make will have a zip! It holds the essentials, money, square readers, phone and lip balm!
0 Likes

I keep my coin in a cash box , and usually a few ones & fives for quick change - yes I do add on sales tax & wind up with odd amounts, but most of my cash is on me in a fanny pack or stashed elsewhere in a not obvious spot.
0 Likes

Neither, haha!
I use a little wooden "cash register" that's actually a little cabinet thing with drawers. I've never had a problem, not once in the five years I've used it. It's pretty darn heavy for being a small cabinet thingy and really noticeable, so it's not like anyone could run off with the whole thing. Not with me being able to catch up to them, anyway. Of course, I do stand / sit behind it throughout most of the show so it's not like people would have much of a chance to grab the cash in the little drawer. Bigger bills - $50s $100s - go directly into my pocket though. And if the stash of 20's start building up I take them out and they go in my pocket.

Plus, I think the fact that I'm a 6' tall 175lb dude wielding pointed knitting needles might have something to do with discouraging people from stealing...maybe. :P
0 Likes

I was visiting family in southern Calif. recently and part of the news was about someone stealing the cash box from a girl scout selling cookies! She lost over $500. I wear a small, shoulder to hip, purse with a zipper closure that I keep on me at all times for cash money. Hawaii tends to have relatively low crime but, at the last large outdoor fair I did, one vender was the victim of a drive-by snatch and go. The thief grabbed her cash box, jump into a waiting car and was gone.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

A friend of mine had an entire case of jewellery snatched and grabbed at an outdoor event, while they were packing up.

Last summer a vendor couple I know were in the process of loading in/setting up and they were parked a few blocks from the event (being held downtown). They would take as much as they could carry then lock up their car. While they were gone with one load, their car was broken into and most of the remaining goods were stolen!

In both these situations, the vendors actually had their money on their person. But if they had had that money in the case or in the car, it would of been gone as well.

It's sad but you have to vigilant. A friend of mine had an entire bag of high quality gemstone beads (she likes to demonstrate wire working during shows) stolen by the jewellery vendor next to her. She couldn't prove it, but it was the only thing stolen during the show, and was hidden out of the way under a table, but the tents were crammed right next to each other. The neighbouring vendor had shown much interest in her beads during the event.
0 Likes

I use both....I use an apron for the bigger amounts and a cash box for coins...Also, I think it depends if you are selling alone at the craft show....If it is just you....I highly recommend an apron...
0 Likes
Drakestail
Inspiration Seeker

I have both as well. I had a local vendor make me a cute custom apron with loads of pockets where I carry a bunch of small change, pen, stylus for Square sales, etc. I have a lockable cash box in one of my bins under my table in case I run out of small bills in my apron. It's also a good place to stash extra $20's if I'm doing a lot of cash sales. I don't want to flash my bankroll around. ;-)
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Drakestail. The cash box under the table is the dangerous part. Having it in a bin doesn't matter. The thieves know all this. "A good place to stash extra $20's" is exactly what they're after. One distracts you while the other goes under your tablecloth. Please consider carrying all of your paper money on your person at all times. No one sees it if you don't flash it!
0 Likes

We carry bills in our pocket. The few coins we get are put in a box that is kept in the check out area.
0 Likes

Fanny pack for me, my money stays with me at all times.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.